Author Topic: Durs Egg Lock on a Pistol  (Read 3237 times)

Offline KC

Durs Egg Lock on a Pistol
« on: August 12, 2015, 07:54:29 PM »
Has anyone here seen an L&R Durs Egg flint lock used on a pistol? I recently picked up two of these locks and thought I might use one on a pistol if it were close to being appropriate. I was afraid it might be too big for a pistol, but the lock plate is only about 5/16" longer than a small Siler lock. I have a walnut stock blank and a 12" long 13/16" barrel that I might cut down closer to 10" that I would use with it. My intent was to end up with a pistol that would kind of match an East Tennessee style rifle that I hope to make with the second lock. I also have some steel ramrod pipes that I got from TOTW that are for a rifle that I was going to cut down look better with a pistol. Any ideas on how long they should be? I'm working on a drawing now, I could probably just adjust the length of the pipes on my drawing until it looks good.

Lastly, the only part I still need is a steel triggerguard. I was looking for something that might kind of look similar to the Southern Mountain style guard I have for the rifle, but can't seem to locate one with that look. I'm not really set up to forge or weld one up from scratch yet. Anyone know where I might find one?
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Durs Egg Lock on a Pistol
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 08:45:55 PM »
I have used them on pistols before, works fine for a post 1800 pistol.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 09:41:59 PM »
That is a perfectly appropriate lock.   As to the mounts,  you will have to make them or have someone else make them.  I could make them for you, but I doubt you are willing to pay me enough to entice me to do it.     As an alternative.  you could make it silver mounted.   Silver is easier to form and you can silver solder your guard together.   It can all be made from sheet and you can order just the pieces of sheet you need all cut to size for fabrication.   The price of silver is currently at its lowest price in years at about $15/oz.

I would suggest that you look at this pistol http://www.markelliottva.com/wordpress/2015/05/original-kentucky-pistol-ilisha-bull/

Best,

Mark

Offline KC

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 12:01:44 AM »
Thanks for the input. I feel kind of relieved since I didn't really set out to buy two locks, it just worked out that way.

Mark, that pistol you linked is almost exactly what I was picturing. I really like the looks of that pistol, it seems to be a pretty long barreled gun like I was hoping to build. I was thinking of pinning the barrel instead of using keys or wedges, but I like how the escutcheons around the wedges look. I see the checkered stock as a bit of a stretch for me, maybe after I get a gun or two (or many) under my belt.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 12:54:47 AM »
Has anyone here seen an L&R Durs Egg flint lock used on a pistol? I recently picked up two of these locks and thought I might use one on a pistol if it were close to being appropriate. I was afraid it might be too big for a pistol, but the lock plate is only about 5/16" longer than a small Siler lock. I have a walnut stock blank and a 12" long 13/16" barrel that I might cut down closer to 10" that I would use with it. My intent was to end up with a pistol that would kind of match an East Tennessee style rifle that I hope to make with the second lock. I also have some steel ramrod pipes that I got from TOTW that are for a rifle that I was going to cut down look better with a pistol. Any ideas on how long they should be? I'm working on a drawing now, I could probably just adjust the length of the pipes on my drawing until it looks good.

Lastly, the only part I still need is a steel triggerguard. I was looking for something that might kind of look similar to the Southern Mountain style guard I have for the rifle, but can't seem to locate one with that look. I'm not really set up to forge or weld one up from scratch yet. Anyone know where I might find one?

Years ago I saw a pair of pistols made by George Suiter at Colonial Williamsbug that used the L&R Durs Egg locks and they looked good.

Bob Roller

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 01:06:26 AM »
Take a look at runestav's #2 long rifle build.  It's SMR and that guard can be made from steel strap 1/2" to 3/4" wide and solder & riveted.  Just make the grip rail like a pistol and form to your almost finished stock. I sometimes use tracks catalog for a full size pattern & fiddle with it until I get close......   .50 cents worth of steel--or less....Tom
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:08:04 AM by gunmaker »