Author Topic: Southern rifle, single trigger?  (Read 3576 times)

aprayinbear

Southern rifle, single trigger?
« on: August 18, 2015, 03:01:55 AM »
It seems that most of the Southern or Tenn. rifles I have seen photos of, have double set triggers.  Was this always true for the "poorboys", or would it be historically accurate to build with a single trigger?

???

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Southern rifle, single trigger?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 03:47:15 AM »
I don't remember ever seeing an iron mounted rifle without double set triggers and have rarely seen any southern rifle without set triggers of some sort.    I don't remember any southern rifles with single set triggers, but have seen a single set trigger on a southern pistol.   I would tend to even put double set triggers on an iron mounted pistol.   

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 06:52:59 PM »
I have a VA iron mounted rifle with a single trigger. It came from the area west of Salem VA.

Photos of it are in the ALR library http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4165.0
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline okieboy

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 07:05:08 PM »
 Interesting rifle Dennis. Have you seen any others with that flat area around the entry thimble?
Okieboy

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 08:00:42 PM »
I have a VA iron mounted rifle with a single trigger. It came from the area west of Salem VA.

Photos of it are in the ALR library http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4165.0

I forgot that rifle had a single trigger.    It is funny,  I remembered it with set triggers.   I guess you just remember what you expect to remember.   

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 08:42:32 PM »
Most of the southern rifles I've seen in books and at the various shows had set triggers and most were single phase. William Ivey's North Carolina book does picture three or four iron mounted rifles with a single trigger including #194 a Catawba Valley early rifle with no buttplate entry thimble or nosecap. Tim Cosby

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:55:16 PM »
Interesting rifle Dennis. Have you seen any others with that flat area around the entry thimble?
No I don't think I have.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 01:21:02 AM »
One thing you must be careful of when looking at pictures to determine the type of trigger is that a lot of set trigger mechanisms  on antiques have one trigger missing.    You need to look at the shape and location of the trigger in the bow and look for screws that can tell you the type of mechanism.   These will give you clues to the type of trigger if you can't see the plate.  However,  you can never tell for sure the type of trigger if you only have a profile picture.  Just something to consider.  Nothing is ever easy is it?  ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 01:22:02 AM by Mark Elliott »