Author Topic: My new Davis rifle  (Read 5583 times)

Offline Don Steele

My new Davis rifle
« on: August 15, 2015, 12:13:34 AM »
Well Boys...here she is. I had Mike Davis build this Southern Mountain rifle for me (Thank you for the referral Dennis) and I believe he captured pretty much all the "Old Timey" features I wanted. Mike can do rifles and pistols totally "from scratch", forging pretty much everything himself. In this case...in the interest of keeping the cost within my budget, and getting the rifle done quickly he used parts purchased from outside. The barrel is a 40 cal. Rice, 42" long swamped. Lock is LEFT-hand flint...Chambers Siler which Mike did a little work on in order to make it look a little less Germanic, and a little more appropriate to the overall style. Chambers White Lightnin' vent liner, Davis Double set trigger. Maple stock stained with aqua-fortis then hand rubbed Tru-oil. I especially like the "Chevron style" poured pewter nosecap.

A close-up of the lock area:

All I need to do now, is figure out the best PRB combination...and get on up to Friendship next month..!!
I'll post up some range results as soon as it quits raining down here. A little time spent already indicates that she likes something around 50 gns. 3f and a tight patch.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline wattlebuster

Re: My new Davis rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 03:18:42 PM »
Darn good looking gun ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Glenn

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 05:59:28 PM »
Nice impressive gun.  Stock design is perfect as is the finish on both the wood and metal.  Good Job !!!  ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 07:26:33 PM »
OOU-EEH ;D--- that's a FINE looking rifle  8)-- good luck with it ;)!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 01:05:44 AM »
Very Nice!!! 
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 12:32:04 PM »
Thanks for the compliments on Mike's work. I'm pleased with this rifle. Range time has been limited by the amount of rain we have been getting recently down here in Florida so I don't have much to show for it yet.
What I have determined is that she seems to like a .395 RB in a .018(compressed measurement) patch, dry-lubed with 7:1 water:Ballistol over 50 gns of 3f Goex.
I started shooting at 25 yds just to see how the sights are before regulating them at 50 yds. I don't put a LOT of credence in 25 yd groups, but this one is at least worth mentioning: Off a rest, from 25 she puts 4 in one SMALL hole, which is "just almost touching" the hole made by the first shot out of the clean barrel.  
When I get the opportunity to shoot some 50 yd targets...I'll post more in the Black Powder shooting section.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 12:35:32 PM by Don Steele »
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Daniel

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 07:53:32 PM »
Mike builds a beautiful gun. I have a few of his . From musket to a squirrel rifle that's coming.
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 10:01:38 PM »
Got a chance to do a little more load development today. I 'pulled" #5 just a little, still... I think this one is a keeper.
This was 50 yds. off a rest:

HAWKEN

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 12:38:52 AM »
Very nice Don!  At first, I wondered why you went with a .40 caliber instead of a .36 or .32, then I remembered that the .40 is legal for deer in Florida.  That is a nice all around caliber, suitable for Deer and squirrels, if you make head shots.  I once bumped into a guy, at Bull Creek WMA,  hunting squirrels with a .54 caliber flintlock, and he had 4.  I had tags for deer there, but the place is over run with rattlesnakes.  Keep yer powder dry...........Robin   ;)