Author Topic: Another ash question  (Read 2431 times)

Offline Kermit

Another ash question
« on: August 17, 2015, 08:04:14 PM »
Thinking Deep River NC in curly ash. Appropriate to that area?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Another ash question
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 08:47:12 PM »
White Ash is native to most of NC, except the coastal and low land areas, so the wood was there.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Kermit

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 11:31:29 PM »
Figured that. Google told me pretty much what you said, so it makes sense. What makes sense to the 21st century inquirer may not have actually happened though, as is so often discussed here. I've beenn reading Bivins' Longrifles of North Carolina, but I'm not finding this info there.

Thanks, Ron.

Offline bgf

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 04:58:00 AM »
I don't remember seeing any ash rifles in Ivey, and I like to keep an eye out for the "different".  I was working with some ash this weekend -- it is free for the picking right now with the ash borer, and my impression is I'd rather work with maple or walnut :).  Should make a tough stock!  I would not make a specific school of rifle in a wood that isn't documented, just because type of wood seems as important to historical fidelity as other material choices, but if you really like it, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 05:57:56 AM »
Dang ash borers! Ash is one of my favorite woods to work with, right along with cherry, walnut, and maple. Not so fond of the oaks, mostly because I used so much of it years ago. I've got this incredible curly ash blank that's waiting for me to make a decision...  :-\