Author Topic: "Fowler" lock preferences???  (Read 3864 times)

Offline Skychief

"Fowler" lock preferences???
« on: August 24, 2015, 06:35:13 AM »
I know that we have a lot of flintlock smoothbore shooters here, so, want to ask the following...

Of all the different locks that you have had on your fowling guns, which gave you the quickest ignition?

I'm on a path where I am shooting and hunting with my Tulle more and more while my rifles are getting a bit dusty.  It's ignition speed is the slowest of any of my flintlocks.  I have read that the bigger locks are usually a bit slower than their smaller counterparts such as those on some rifles. 

In any case, I would just like to get your opinions and feedback of which brand and model of flint lock are faster than most for smoothbore "fowlers".

Thanks much, Skychief

Online bob in the woods

Re: "Fowler" lock preferences???
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 07:06:26 AM »
It's not how fast the cock gets through it's cycle , it's how fast and how many sparks get to the pan that counts.  My large Chambers Germanic lock is "slower" than my late ketland, but the rifle goes off like lightening.  Same goes for my New England Fowling gun. 

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 04:22:02 PM »
Its hard to beat Chambers Round Face English lock.  The Davis fowling lock with the cast engraving is also good.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 08:05:38 PM »
I chose a Chambers Colonial Va lock (essentially the same as the round face English) for my smoothbore.  It's a big lock and I like big locks.  It maybe isn't as fast as my squirrel rifle with it's Late Ketland; but it throws such a huge shower of sparks that it's the lock that works when all others don't.

Big locks are not supposed to be fast but my smoothbore did very well on a running shot at a deer a few seasons back.  I wouldn't have anything else on one.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 12:17:41 AM »
Thank you for the replies guys!  Anybody else?

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 12:48:36 AM »
If you want an upland type or birding piece in lieu of a waterfowling piece, and don't mind it being late period, I would say the Chambers late English ("ketland") flintlock.

Ray-Vigo

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 04:54:54 AM »
I like the "Queen Ann" style English locks, given the choice. I have a Caywood on my 12 gauge Hudson Valley Fowler. It works well and looks nice. I have a large Siler on my 20 gauge. Both of these are lefties, so fewer choices there. But it's hard to go wrong with a nice, rounded English/Queen Ann lock.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 11:08:09 PM »
Thank you for the replies all.  Anybody else care to weigh in?