Author Topic: NE Fowler  (Read 5773 times)

Offline bob in the woods

NE Fowler
« on: July 16, 2008, 03:58:30 AM »
My fowler is all assembled. Now that I see the whole thing together, I'm getting a strong urge to put a folk art/ flower, birds etc design on it.  The gun just looks like it would be right at home with something "folky" Any thoughts? Comments?

Harnic

Re: NE Fowler
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 04:28:46 AM »
Sounds like a heck of a good idea to me Bob!  How about a picture or 2?  ;)

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 04:42:19 AM »
Actually, the gun brought back memories of an E.K. creation I admired a few years ago. I believe it had a stylized pheasant on the butt. I really like the look of the home spun decorated guns. The memory of that piece has stuck with me and now resurfaced! This fowler needs a bird on it!

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 05:59:37 AM »
I think drawing folk art themes in ink on the stock would be very cool. I've often thought of doing tulips and distlefinks in color with paint and antiquing as well.  Might be a disaster or the coolest thing going. Artistic risk. Go for it. Pictures for sure.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 06:01:47 AM »
Bob,

According to Grinslade's book, the NE fowler was more of French influence.  The kind of folk art you're referring to is Pennsylvania Deutch (German).  

BUT,  she's yours.... and if you want a bird..... make it a bird.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 06:09:08 AM »
Regardless of archictectural influence, it was made by a Yankee probably of German ancestry.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 06:44:11 AM »
OOH, good point Bill.

Bob, let's see the bird!!

I saw a type "G" that Jack Brooks did a long time ago, with the vines and foliage in ink, under the finish..... really cool.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 06:57:24 AM »
Smallpatch, a simple thing really but it really adds to the appeal. I was thinking of that too.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 07:42:08 AM »
A lot of New England pine furniture had hex symbols and other geometric shapes carved or painted on, as well as simple flowers, so it's not a great stretch to imagine it being done on a fowler.   

Whatever you do, be sure to seal the stock before you get out the ink and paint.  If the stock isn't sealed the ink will bleed deep into the grain.  The few original faux tiger striped stocks I've seen were most certainly sealed before any ink was applied.  Also, do some testing beforehand to make sure the finish you apply over the ink doesn't smear or remove it.  Solvents and what not... 

Good luck, be sure to share photos,
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 03:05:17 PM »
Actually, I just "googled" - Eric Kettenburg, Folk Art Gun-and found the photos. His drscriction seems to indicate that the stains/ink etc are in the wood, pprotected by the finish. Perhaps the hard maple won't bleed the ink so badly. This stock is cherry, and my test on scrap bled like crazy. I may try a sealer of shellac  first.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 04:14:41 PM »
Bob,

e-mail Mr K, I'm sure he'll be willing to help.
In His grip,

Dane