Author Topic: Southern horn and accouterments set.  (Read 4731 times)

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Southern horn and accouterments set.
« on: September 08, 2015, 12:22:03 AM »
My friend Ron ( who I've never actually met) is a generous contributor to our West Coast Horn Fair and I wanted to show my appreciation. This little banded horn was made from a rather suspect, very dry horn out of a collection of like horns from my favorite second hand store. Very thin and translucent when finally finished out it was too thin for a tip plug so it has a horn internally applied tip pinned into the throat. The band was one that I had that just fit perfectly and the butt is turned from Maple and stained with Lancaster Maple stain. Hand forged strap rings on the throat and butt.
The accouterment set is from turkey bones. I had the knife made and the measure has a horn plug at the base. The little pick and brush set just seemed to be right for the set.

Steve
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:24:33 AM by skillman »
Steve Skillman

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Southern horn and accouterments set.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 02:28:51 AM »
Nice set ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Horner75

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 06:57:12 AM »
Nice set Steve, but I think all of that white really shouts out for toning down a bit.

Rick

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 03:59:05 PM »
Nice set Steve, but I think all of that white really shouts out for toning down a bit.

Rick

Kind of what I was thinking but then again, I age everything. The Pick and brush set is neat and I like that longer handle on the knife.
 How have you got that tag attached to the stopper?

Tim C.

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 01:31:24 AM »
As I said elsewhere, I like the whole set a lot. That little horn is just right.

Ron
Member Honorable Company of Horners
Member of the CLA

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 03:53:36 AM »
Tim The lanyard is a very thin leather thong that is pushed into a drilled hole in the tip and glued in. It could be cut off if desired and no one would be the wiser. I just like a lanyard on my stoppers to prevent loss.
As for the colors, they will tone down naturally with age and use. This horn is very transparent. That's one of the reasons I figured it for Southern design.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 09:00:25 PM »
As for the colors, they will tone down naturally with age and use.

I agree completely.  :)
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West