Author Topic: Knife blade warping  (Read 3746 times)

Three balls

Knife blade warping
« on: September 09, 2015, 03:03:32 PM »
While attempting to heat treat a knife blade, it warped. Is it possible to straighten the blade, after tempering? The blade steel is 1095, .125 thick, flat ground, with a distal taper. I'm hoping some of you metaloligist :) experts can set me on the correct course of action, before I get goofy, and break this blade. Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Offline grabenkater

Re: Knife blade warping
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 03:47:53 PM »
I have removed slight bends with a board and a wooden mallet. If its too severe, I would start over.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline crowbarforge

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 05:59:12 PM »
If you have NOT HARDENED YET, and the blade is tempered yes....BUT I would normalize again (bring to critical and slowly cool) then straighten, then try and temper again. When the the warp occur? When quenching?

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 06:20:34 PM »
  YES. Two ways to go. AFTER it has been tempered, after being hardened. Simple way but has to be done with care. Determine the apex of the warp. Polish to where you can see heat colors on the steel. With the blade in a vise, use a common propane torch and heat the blade at, and a little fore and aft of the warp apex to a dark blue or even on to gray, at the spine only. Do not allow the colors to run to the edge area. Over straighten a tad bit with a gloved hand and pour water over it until cool. You may have to repeat or adjust back if you over do it. The safer way is to lock the blade over straight on a thick piece of steel with C clamps. If necessary, you can put a penny or washer between the two pieces in order to get slightly over straight. Then run another temper cycle. Repeat if need be. This can be done multiple times if necessary with no change in the original temper.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 06:34:55 PM »
If you have NOT HARDENED YET, and the blade is tempered yes....BUT I would normalize again (bring to critical and slowly cool) then straighten, then try and temper again. When the the warp occur? When quenching?

Crowbar, I assume you got your terms backwards in typing? Also, if one was to do that, it would be best to straighten while still red hot. Cold straightening will leave stresses that "may or can" cause more or other problems.

Offline crowbarforge

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 12:17:38 AM »
Yes..OOps. Brain was thinking faster than fingers were typing. Should read "...normalize again, heat red hot, straighten, then slowly cool..."

Three balls

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 02:32:59 PM »
crowbarforge, the blade warped during the heating, for the quench. Thanks again, to all, I managed to get it straightened out without breaking the blade, for which, I'm greatly relieved.