Author Topic: Experiments with Higher Resolution Pictures Updated Rifle pics  (Read 4176 times)

Offline M Tornichio

I have been trying to experiment with a taking pictures of rifles using a higher resolution camera. My friend has a much better camera than mine, so we tried taking some photos with his camera. I had posted this rifle earlier this year, but I only took some quick snap shots that were not really very good quality. I wanted to see if these looked any better on the screen. We shot them in his living room with natural light. The sun was setting in the evening and shining in through a large window. We really ran out of light. this is a first attempt.

any thoughts what the best way of formating photos for the web is?
Thanks,
Marc

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 04:40:36 PM by Acer Saccharum »

Offline M Tornichio

Re: Experiments with Higher Resolution Pictures Updated Rifle pics
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 07:48:43 PM »
I guess posting these pictures answers my question about how these would look on the web. The photos are really clear on my computer until I post them from photobucket. I would like to make a web site in the future and am unsure of the best way to post really good quality pictures.
Does anyone have any insight on this?
Thanks for your help guys
Marc

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 07:50:47 PM »
Marc:
You coming up to the Log Cabin tomorrow?
BillP

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 08:00:38 PM »
yes,
I was going to bring the rifle, since I was unable to show you it the last time I had it up there.
see you tomorrow.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 08:02:04 PM »
Marc,
This website automatically re-sizes photos.  I don't recall the size it uses as max but it is supposed to reduce the size of high resolution pictures so they don't make you scroll back and forth to see them. If I saved one of the pictures you posted, they would still be the original size and quality.  

Very nice gun by the way.  Really sleek looking.  I love the finish on the wood.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 10:14:58 PM »
Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, all the IBM (so called PC) computers us a 72 pixel per inch screen display resolution. MACs use 100.

So you shoot high resolution pictures either so they can be very large or so a small part of the image can be blown up for web use at 72 PPI.  The only way to see the entire higher quality image is to print it. Lots of printers do 600-1600 DPI. Professional models can do may more but for books printing presses have their own limits.

With a web site you are also dealing with the time it takes the image to load over the Internet. Real high resolution images on a web page are going to slow down that page loading and for folks without a real high speed connection this is very frustrating.

A lot of photo software has a built in setting called "save for web" (or such) which will do a fairly go job or at least guide.

Do a Google search on the subject and you will find lots of free advice and instructions.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 02:52:48 PM »
thanks for the info guys. I realize now that when I upload the photos onto photobucket they are resized at that moment and also they are resized on this website. It makes since now. I will do some more reading on the subject soon.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 04:48:18 PM »
Marc, you have great color and decent resolution. There is more glare than I like, but you might reduce it by using some of the suggestions below. Your choice of background is also good for bringing out the color of the gun.

Pardon me if I ramble about my photography thoughts.

If you can get more distance between the gun and the background, the camera will tend to focus on the gun, and the background cloth is out of focus.

Full length shots are the hardest, and show little of the gun. Get a couple fulllenght ones, and then concentrate on butt to lock, then go for detail shots of thimbles, nosecap, etc.

Inside shooting:
A better time of day will help with softer light. When you have a good North facing window, you get a soft light cascading in, at almost anytime during mid-day. You may need to set up some white reflecting surface like paper of cardboard to bounce the light onto some of the shaded areas.

For outside shooting, an overcast day is ideal. Again, the use of white reflecting card is very helpful to highlight certain areas that could use more definition.

If you are by yourself, use the camera's timer to give yourself enough time to get the card into position before the camera trips. Gotta have a tripod for this.

I use the tripod and timer almost exclusively. After pressing the shutter button, I let go of the camera, which helps with a real steady shot, no influence with shaky hands.

Also check out the tutorial "photography for dummies".

Acer
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 04:55:26 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline wmrike

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 06:20:39 PM »
I played around with high and low resolution and high and low ISO under controlled conditions quite a bit earlier this year.  When I walked away from it I was of the opinion that, counter to expectations, high tech just doesn't count for much if you are going to display on screen.  Two mega-pixals is fine.  Technique trumps all.  Acer correctly points out the need for well diffused light.  That's the biggie.  One gimmick that I do rely on is a polarizing lens to take away that last little bit of glare.