Author Topic: egg shoot  (Read 9474 times)

Offline Michigan Flinter

egg shoot
« on: September 14, 2015, 06:22:07 PM »
    I went yesterday over to a conservation club who was putting on an egg shoot, first time I ever saw it done. The eggs are hung from a wire at one hundred yards and they are shot with a .22 cal. rifle. Has anyone set up an egg shoot using our muzzleloaders and if so how was it run? Distance  shot, number of eggs shot ,position ect.  It looks like fun .There was kids, ladies and old fat guys having a good time .maybe it could bring back some of the shooters who have not shot for awhile.

Offline T*O*F

Re: egg shoot
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 06:27:48 PM »
Drill a series of holes in your target frames.  Insert golf tees and rest eggs on the tees.  Must hit the egg.....zero points for the tee.
You can make up your own distances and rules.  You can even put the tees in the ground at varying distances rather than the conventional set distances.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 06:31:27 PM »
blood shoot.  katsup paks stapled to a frame,  vary range.  Not an egg but instant results....save an egg--shoot a katsup pak... :D

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 06:51:55 PM »
I went to one like TOF talked about and it was a hoot. No shooting of shot allowed and we moved back two steps every time we hit one so as to create an elimination asspect to the contest. Last person to hit was the winner. I think we started out at 25 yds.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 08:29:33 PM »
For several years, we have had an egg shoot at our club.  We get together every Sunday, and at a position not far from the end of our trail, we hung a white egg by hot melting a small nut to the egg and suspending it from two strings, to keep it from swinging side to side.  We collected $5 from each shooter, and hung the egg at 75 yds.  We shot it offhand - winner takes 1/2 the pot - the other half going to raise money for the club.  All names went into the hat, and they were drawn at random, so everyone has the same opportunity for the first shot.  Many times the egg remains unscathed, and the pot builds.  We have no other charges for shooting our trail, so it makes for a fun and cheap outing, with potential for fame, glory and wealth.  I got the idea from a post by Roger Fisher, Blew him!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 08:36:49 PM »
 Went to an egg shoot before Salmonila (sp) if you didn't break the egg with your shot,,when the range was declared safe,,you walked down took the egg, cracked the top off of it and swallowed it,,right off the string!!!!
  This was adapted from a shoot that Charlton Heston (rendezvous, modern mountain men)was part of, on TV
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:39:47 PM by J Henry »

Offline Molly

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 09:59:32 PM »
We'll incorporate one in our up coming shooting event.  The plan is to get several "stick" sized stakes similar to a survey stake, drill a hole in the top, put in a golf tee and set the egg on it....at 25 yards.  Have to hit the egg, not the stick.  Might need a dab of glue on the tee.  Since I'm setting up these targets we'll use bird eggs for most but I get to shoot at an ostrich egg.  Should be fun.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 10:08:55 PM »
 Out here on the west coast we used to have egg shoots at just about every rendezvous. The egg was held on the string it was suspended from by a little piece of duct tape. It was hit it, or eat it. I will never forget  a guy named Jerry Ennis hitting an egg offhand with a trade gun at fifty yards, while suffering from a hangover that made my head hurt just shooting next to him. I asked him how he hit that egg with a trade gun, and he said he had to, because he sure as heck couldn't eat it.

Hungry Horse

Offline ehoff

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 10:30:20 PM »
Our club runs a monthly egg shoot. The egg is fastened to a piece of wire and hung out at 75 yards. Each month everyone who wants to try throws a dollar in the pot. A name is drawn and the shooter gets a shot at the egg. If they miss, another name is drawn. If they hit the egg they get 1/2 the money in the pot.  Now to make if more interesting no more than three names are pulled per shoot. If everyone misses the pot rolls over and next months is added to it, it continues like this til some hits the egg. There has been some big pots!

The most memorable winner was when the clubs oldest member hit the egg. He was 90 years old when he hit the egg, everyone hooped and hollered when he made that shot!

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 11:24:07 PM »
I haven't shot one yet.  Our Club holds a couple of egg shoots a year.  The way it was described to me - first shot is 25 yards, and then it progresses five yards  each shot after i.e. 30, 35, 40, 45 and then 50 yards. The February egg shoot is difficult if there is snow on the ground. Lots of people can't see the egg when there is snow on the ground.

The prizes are pkgs of chicken, bacon, maybe a ham and turkey.  I plan on shooting it this year.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 12:25:19 AM »
Not an egg shoot but we do what I call a "mike fink shoot." Put a cup of water (or a pine cone) on the top of a melon and start at a set distance. After each shot step back one giant step. If you miss cup and melon, you do not move back and if you miss three times in a row you are out. If you hit the melon you are out. Winner is the guy furthest back before he kills the melon or misses three times in a row.

K
Galations 2:20

Offline retired fella

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 02:05:58 AM »
Last year went to an egg/chicken shoot.  Eggs were shot in addition to normal paper targets.  Both targets and eggs were shot at 25 and 50 yds.  A 4 second rattle box was used..  Lots of fun. 
For those unfamiliar with the rattle box it is an oblong box with baffles built into it.
You drop a ball into the top and you have 4 seconds to raise, sight and fire before the ball comes out the  bottom and drops into a  bucket with a resounding clank.
Unnerving, but fun having to snap shoot an egg at 50 yds

HAWKEN

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 09:41:38 PM »
I have never shot at eggs but at something just as difficult, or more so.  We hung charcoal brickettes from a limb, in the shade.  We hot glued a 12 to 18 inch piece of kite or butcher string to the edge of the brick, then tied it to a limb.  The shots were at 25 yards........robin   ;)

Offline okawbow

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 11:03:27 PM »
My old club would mix half raw and half boiled eggs in a basket. You reached into the basket and drew an egg. Then you walked out and set the egg on the end of 3 nails drove into a stump. We shot offhand at about 20 yards. If you missed an egg, you had to eat it. If you were lucky, it was one of the boiled eggs.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 10:26:20 PM »
Not eggs, but similar in that I place golf balls on tees at 25yds each winter for my gunmakers match.  One point for hitting the ball, person who drives it the farthest gets one bonus point.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 11:47:47 PM »
Back in the late 1970's we used to shoot 30 yards offhand at raw egges on a grooved board with miss it, eat it rules as well ;D
Usually it was the younger guys who were enamored with the Rocky craze that plunked their scheckels down, and,( more often than not ate the egg), after blasting away with our T/C "Hawken" rifles.  >:( Then some old dude would envariably saunter forth with his homebuilt longrifle to show us how it was done ! ;D
Kinda miss those days...but, not the raw eggs!  ::)
                                                 Shreck, now one of the old dudes  ;D

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 01:42:02 AM »
Not an egg shoot but we do what I call a "mike fink shoot." Put a cup of water (or a pine cone) on the top of a melon and start at a set distance. After each shot step back one giant step. If you miss cup and melon, you do not move back and if you miss three times in a row you are out. If you hit the melon you are out. Winner is the guy furthest back before he kills the melon or misses three times in a row.

K

Ken,
I did a shoot similar to that one once.  Except I used a styrofoam wig head that I had hollowed out and put a large can of stewed tomatoes in it.  Whoever hit the head blasted a big bunch of red chunks all over the place.  Kinda high on the eeuh!! factor, IIRC.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 02:01:55 AM »
not that I'm a "killer" but remember the good 'ol days of a turkey shoot or pigeon shoot.While I think the block shoots and these other shoots are just fine I miss them good 'ol days.And I understand not wanting the hassle from a-holes from the animal rights groups.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 06:26:56 AM »
The "EGG" shoot was gun, but Taylor won too often!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 05:24:36 AM »
Not exactly an egg shoot. But we use to have a ham shoot. Where the ham was hanging on a string. You had to cut the string at fifty yards. Trick was some guys would hit the string an not cut it. Seems someone put piano wire down threw the string. Man talk about some frustrated shooters. All for laughs.

Offline Molly

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 03:44:05 AM »
Going to offer a competition this weekend to our group who want to shoot it.  I did a dry run today.  Golf ball on a tee on top of a survey stake at about 25 yards.  Got it on the second shot.  Clays on a string at about 25 yards.  Took three shots for two clays.  50 yard bulls eye, scorekeeper target.  One at #7 and one at #8.  Gong at 100 yards.  Missed the first shot but rang the bell with the second and third.

40 cal.  Used 40 gr 3F for 100 yards.  35 gr for the 50 yard target and 20 or 25 for the 25 yard target.  Probably could have used a little less on each target but rather too much than too little!  Will substitute and egg for the golf ball Saturday.

I'm happy and will sleep well tonight.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 06:45:41 AM »
It sounds like lots of fun Molly.  What does "one at #7 and one at #8" mean?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Molly

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 01:59:06 PM »
A scorekeeper target with rings which "score" from the center which is X (or 10), outer rings are 9,8,7,6 and maybe 5.  Further off center the lower score.

Typical target.  I'm sure I just did not do a good job of stating it....sort of like my shooting!