Author Topic: Pedersoli Philadelphia Derringer problem  (Read 10653 times)

Naphtali

Pedersoli Philadelphia Derringer problem
« on: September 15, 2015, 07:00:56 AM »
I have a new Pedersoli Philadelphia Derringer. It is well made and aesthetically pleasing. It also has two problems that are probably connected. Cocking its hammer requires substantial effort, and its trigger [pull] requires close to the strength of Charles Atlas. But when the trigger breaks, it breaks crisply.

The lock is a "V" spring back lock, similar to, albeit smaller than, other better quality percussion back lock. How would I reduce the trigger pull and, perhaps, the cocking effort without creating any safety problems?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:27:31 AM by Naphtali »

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Pedersoli Philadelphia Derringer problem
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 02:13:05 PM »
I have a new Pedersoli Philadelphia Derringer. It is well made and aesthetically pleasing. It also has two problems that are probably connected. Cocking its hammer requires substantial effort, and its trigger [pull] requires close to the strength of Charles Atlas. But when the trigger breaks, it breaks crisply.

The lock is a "V" spring back lock, similar to, albeit smaller than, other better quality percussion back lock. How would I reduce the trigger pull and, perhaps, the cocking effort without creating any safety problems?

IF that Derringer is really to scale I would approach any lock alterations with caution. It SOUNDS like the full cock notch in the tumbler has a more acute angle that is needed and is a semi safety and also take a look at the screw the sear pivots on. IF the hole in the sear is MUCH larger than the diameter of the screw then it can
that the sear arm is twisting upward before rotating away from the full cock. This is NOT an uncommon condition and is frequently been a problem with modern repro military locks.

Bob Roller

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 03:15:51 PM »
Check the lock when out of the stock to insure that the mainspring is not binding up and then check the inletting fit to make certain that nothing is contacting the wood anywhere and causing the parts to bind. Only then do you start working on the lock itself.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 03:45:18 PM »
 Could you return it?

Tim C.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 03:47:34 AM »

Here's a picture of my Uberti Deringer.  It has a nice trigger pull without creep, and a lively action...not difficult to cock.  As you can see the mainspring is pretty beefy, too.

Here's full cock...

The tumbler has a fly or detent.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:56:23 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 05:12:19 PM »
That's a nice little pistol Taylor -- Years ago I purchased 4  Philadelphia Derringer from Dixie for about $40 each and they were junk but I did sell them for a $10 profit each.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 06:47:38 PM »
I ordered a Deringer kit from TOW years before I acquired this little gem, but I sent it back for refund...only thing I've ever returned to TOW dissatisfied.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Naphtali

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 10:23:39 PM »
. . .

Here's a picture of my Uberti Deringer.  It has a nice trigger pull without creep, and a lively action...not difficult to cock.  As you can see the mainspring is pretty beefy, too. . . .

Here's full cock. . . .

The tumbler has a fly or detent. . . .
Excepting your two-tone lock plate, your Uberti and my Pedersoli appear to be identical. Mine was just under $400.00 suggested list - somewhat less in actuality. Are Uberti and Pedersoli brands "different" as were Ford Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 11:01:00 PM »
I am pretty sure they are separate companies, but I believe that one occasionally makes parts for the other. 

I am also pretty sure that Beretta bought Uberti a while back (IIRC during the Cowboy Action heydays) and was then acquired by Benelli.  Those Uberti/Cimarron fire-blued SAA replicas were downright gorgeous back in the day. 

I have been known to be wrong before though! 

That is one pretty little Uberti Derringer.  I can't think of a use I would have for it, but it sure looks to be a gem. 

Best wishes and God Bless,   Marc

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 11:03:33 PM »
Mine came with accessories in this walnut 'French' fitted case, in 1978.  The shop where this one came from also had a matched pair in a slightly larger case.  I'm pretty sure that Aldo Uberti does not make or sell these anymore.  Mine is serial number 12.

I'd love to see what Pedersoli's looks like.  Can you post an image?
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 11:05:47 PM »
My use for it is pretty simple:  I just carry it in my vest pocket when I go out for dinner, unofficially.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Naphtali

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 04:38:03 AM »
Oops! I erred. I took my derringer from the safe. It is identical to what yours looks like - sights, shape of wood, checkering, two-tone lock plate, etc. But yours is cleaner - that is, polished or waxed. Mine has a more muted look. I suspect I should use some elbow grease and shine it up.

I wear no vest. I thought about cutting up an otherwise discardable Stetson fur felt hat and safety pinning a piece to my front hip pocket then putting the derringer in. But it's just a thought. I'm pretty sure that without this sort of baffle, the derringer would wear through my pocket - and knowing life, it would plunk to the floor in one of the world's most inopportune places. . . . A bank would really make my day.

Other than box and loading ram, mine has none of the beautiful ensemble that yours has. Is it possible that Pedersoli bought investment casting dies and/or tooling from Uberti? Or that one of the two makes/made the derringer for the other? Pedersoli has advertised this for only about two years.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 04:48:41 AM by Naphtali »

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 07:16:42 PM »
I want to be careful here no to offend.  I believe Uberti researched Deringer's work, and recreated their pistol to emulate as closely as possible his wonderful little pocket pistols, complete with fittings, finish and engraving.  From what I have seen of Pedersoli's other muzzle loading efforts, that is definitely not the case.  I would still enjoy seeing some images of your pistol.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 01:57:58 AM »
I don't want to offend,surely you jest!you guys are carrying these for self protection?Wow,do you need a carry permit to carry these reproduction relics?that's a hole lotta trust in old technology.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 07:49:39 PM »
What's not to trust? She's never failed to make fire.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 07:55:46 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 08:12:26 PM »
I will hand it to you folks you take your muzzleloader's seriously. I would just hate to pull that thing and the other fellow pulls a glock with just a few more shots than that deringer.A little underguned in this day an age.

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 09:37:26 PM »
In Canada we cannot carry these or any other type of hand gun, except at an approved range.  In fact, one needs a special license just to own one...they are called "Prohibited Weapons".  And such a permit is no longer available to a new applicant.

Mine is simply jewellery...nothing more.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:39:23 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 10:41:26 PM »
There is a saying among Pashtun warriors...I no longer remember it in Pashto, but in English it would be, "Guns are the jewelry of a man".......I'm with you Taylor !!!!!!!  Besides, I have had a lot of different firearms pointed at me in anger and at very close range.  Most were 9mm or smaller, but they ALL looked like the open end of a 55 gallon drum on top of a pair of shoes.  I really didn't notice anything, in that instant, other than a huge, yawning BORE pointed at me.  Could have been a .22 or a .44 mag, or a .17 pellet gun, or short piece of pipe for all I knew.  But when I returned the favor and pointed back with my own "jewelry", the other guy almost always had exactly the same reaction and, mostly, decided that discretion was indeed the better part of valor and retired apologetically and peaceably.  I don't think either one of us was at all concerned with anything except what peering down that bore looked like...and, whatever it was, it looked HUGE.  In a tight spot, your jewelry would do just fine.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 02:25:56 AM »
got to figure you have a-holes up there same as here that find ways to get there's.The old saying applys would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

UpDok

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 04:26:33 PM »
In regards to power, many years ago I built a .41 derringer with a 2" barrel and a cheap imported lock on a scrap of maple just to play with it. The power was rather disappointing. It was not much more than a common sling-shot.

In a "social situation" gone bad it could be possible to intimidate someone, but it is dreadfully outclassed by more modern hardware such as a snubnosed .38 revolver. As a mid-1800's type of muzzle loading pistol it does make for a neat little building project however.

pushboater

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2015, 05:26:32 PM »
Are parts still available for these Uberti Derringer?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2015, 08:01:07 PM »
In regards to power, many years ago I built a .41 derringer with a 2" barrel and a cheap imported lock on a scrap of maple just to play with it. The power was rather disappointing. It was not much more than a common sling-shot.

In a "social situation" gone bad it could be possible to intimidate someone, but it is dreadfully outclassed by more modern hardware such as a snubnosed .38 revolver. As a mid-1800's type of muzzle loading pistol it does make for a neat little building project however.

LOL- I shot a 2x4 pine board at about 10feet with the final finish load I'd developed for mine. That I actually hit it was amazing, however the ball made about a 3/8" to 1/2" deep dent, rebounded and smacked me in the shoulder. That only stung a little, through my T-shirt, barely bruised my shoulder. Lighter charges didn't dent the wood as deeply as the "final" load using a .44 mag. case full of 3F which is where I ended up. Mine is .45 cal. & recoil turned it straight up in my palm. One finger on the grip and one on the trigger is not much to hang on by. fun, though.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:01:29 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2015, 08:32:29 PM »

LOL- I shot a 2x4 pine board at about 10feet with the final finish load I'd developed for mine. That I actually hit it was amazing, however the ball made about a 3/8" to 1/2" deep dent, rebounded and smacked me in the shoulder. That only stung a little, through my T-shirt, barely bruised my shoulder. Lighter charges didn't dent the wood as deeply as the "final" load using a .44 mag. case full of 3F which is where I ended up. Mine is .45 cal. & recoil turned it straight up in my palm. One finger on the grip and one on the trigger is not much to hang on by. fun, though.
"you will shoot your eye kid",funny indeed.Not sure I'd make these things a primary carry gun.Pretty close to just having a flag pop out of the end with bang written on it.Seriously they must have worked up something load wise to make these things a wee bit more on the lethal side.