Author Topic: Copy Of a Lovely Chambers Rifle - Update of photos  (Read 43910 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Copy Of a Lovely Chambers Rifle - Nearing the end !
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2016, 10:22:18 PM »
Wonderful as I would expect.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2016, 03:04:25 AM »
Just crazy beautiful.  I wasn't sure I'd like the ebony on the cheek, but after seeing it, I cannot imagine the rifle without it.  Bravo!  God bless,   Marc

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2016, 05:37:18 AM »
Thank you for the kind comments.  I finished the rifle tonight....just did the final assembly.  Too dark (and raining !) tonight to take pictures.  Will try to take several tomorrow.  I am generally pleased with how the rifle turned out.  This time I tried the scraping and burnishing method of final finishing on the wood.  Not as "slick" as some other methods, but I like the overall look and, since the 18th century gunsmiths could not run down to the auto parts store to get sandpaper in various grits, it probably looks more like the rifles originally did.  While no one with a trained eye would mistake this rifle for Jim's original, I learned a lot by just trying to emulate Jim's style.

Will try to get some pictures posted tomorrow.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Copy Of a Lovely Chambers Rifle - Done !!!!
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2016, 04:56:53 AM »
Well....it's finished.  In truth, this one would never be confused with Jim's beautiful rifle....and the pictures are not even as good.  I took them with a cell phone under rainy skies.  Overcast is good....rainy, not so good.  Anyway, here we go......

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 01:25:42 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2016, 04:59:37 PM »
Nice, nice and nice. Most of you guys make me wanna take up golf. :/

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2016, 05:24:48 PM »
Beautiful work Dave2 from one end to the other. You are a very talented craftsman. Copying Jim's work is no easy feat because Jim is a very talented craftsman. Congrats for a job well done.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2016, 06:00:01 PM »
Hi Dave,
Fabulous rifle!!  Your carving and engraving have laser precision and perfection.  How do you get your backgrounds so level and clean especially with curly maple.  I always end up with some rippling here and there that I never can see until the finish is applied. There are times when I went back and cleaned up the background and then stained and finished the spot over again.  Again, beautiful gun.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2016, 06:53:22 PM »
   Dave that is one fine rifle. As other's have said. Your attention to detail is superb. Also thank you for the excellent series of pictures. It's almost like holding the rifle first hand.   Oldtravler

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2016, 07:21:53 PM »
Absolutely fantastic!!!

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2016, 09:05:46 PM »
Disgustingly perfect.  Now I have to try harder. That nick and dot border is flawless. Not many engraver can do that as well as that.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 09:10:38 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2016, 10:07:01 PM »
SWEET!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

n stephenson

« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2016, 06:42:04 PM »
Dave , As usual STUNNING !!! your work is always a treat to behold. Thanks for posting . Nathan

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2016, 08:05:08 PM »
Truly remarkable work Dave.  Your attention to those tiny details makes a huge difference in the overall appeal.  I'm still not sure how I feel about the ebony overlay on the cheek piece...it looks to me that there was likely enough wood there without it, but perhaps not enough to emulate Jim's work.  I see this rifle as a wonderful tribute to one or our very best contemporary builders, and you pulled it off with a gold medal.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2016, 02:27:55 AM »
Thank you to all for your very kind comments.  It truly was done as a tribute to Jim's work....just as the last one was a tribute to Jim Kibler's work. 

JerryWH....the engraving is getting better but the fact that it is any good at all is due to your patient instruction (and I need to come get some additional lessons...will talk to you about that again in the spring.)

Smart Dog...I am not pleased with the smoothness of the background.  The pictures make it look smoother than it really is.  I did do a lot of scraping and burnishing, but, as you mention, it is very difficult to get a smooth background surface especially on curly maple.  And again, thanks for the tip on using the Sutherland & Wells polymerized tung oil finish.  I love that stuff !

D. Taylor ....after being uncertain for quite some time, I have decided I like the ebony cheek piece, but you are correct, I could have done without it.  As far as details go, it is much easier for me to copy someone else's work as the original builder has already exercised his own artistic talents and creativity.  All I have to do is copy the details of the original.  I did add some engraving to the rear ram rod pipe and the trigger guard that were not part of Jim's rifle, but that is partly just me fighting off my tendency to engrave any surface that looks too plain.  (i.e. It is killing me not to add something to the bow of the trigger guard !)

And again....thanks to all for the encouragement, past tips, and kind words.  Merry Christmas to all and all the best in 2017 !

Sincerely,

Dave C 
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2016, 02:52:50 AM »
I like it a lot.  As Taylor said details make it.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline KC

« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2016, 04:01:09 PM »
I think it looks fantastic. Excellent carving and engraving. I'd sure like to have one that nice.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2016, 10:50:45 PM »
 That is the most perfect patch box I have ever seen. Disgusting.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 03:45:43 AM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2016, 02:09:04 AM »
I can only dream of building something like that Dave. Beautiful!
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2016, 03:09:48 PM »
That is a remarkable piece. Obviously made by highly skilled and experienced hands. Love the carving. Engraving is impressive. Well done and thanks for sharing the pictures.

The tung oil finish, was it rubbed in by hand? Did you use the interior or exterior type? What sheen was used.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2016, 06:01:04 PM »
Beautiful! Thanks again for sharing.......Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2017, 02:18:34 AM »
Gumboman,

My apologies....I missed your question from last week.  I use the interior grade of Sutherland & Wells polymerized tung oil in the high luster grade.  I mix it 50 / 50 with pure gum turpentine.  The first coat is flooded on for about 15 minutes with a small brush.  Dry spots are re-wetted during that time.  (I leave inlays, patch box, etc., in place during the finishing process.)  After 15 to 20 minutes, I wipe everything off with a cloth and let it dry...in the sun (if possible) and on my "stock rotisserie".  The first coat has little or no luster at all.  Subsequent coats (usually not more than 3 or 4) are done by dipping the tip of my finger in the 50 / 50 mix and rubbing it as far as a small bit of it will go.  Once I have rubbed it all over the stock, I try to wipe it all off and scrub the carved ares lightly with a clean tooth brush.  This leaves a very thin coat that dries quickly.  With each coat the sheen level increases.  If I intend to darken the recesses of carving, etc., I rub in bone black (ala Jim Kibler's method) on the second coat and before I wipe the stock down. Sometimes I do that again on subsequent coats.   Got this general technique and recommendation on the S & W tung oil from Smart Dog.

Hope this helps and Happy New Year to all.

Some links: 

http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/original.html

http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/instructions/PTO/GunStocks-PTO.pdf
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 02:21:00 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2017, 08:20:52 AM »
Well, I finished this rifle in December, but am just now getting clear of work enough to go shoot it and get it sighted in.  As I was gathering up my shooting gear, I realized that all of the "Gunner's Mate" shooting tools I have made for my other rifles only work on a .45 caliber rifle or larger and this one is a .36.  So I modified several of the normal parts to make a patch box kit of the most useful items.  Here is the whole mess disassembled.  Includes a ram rod "T" handle, turn screw, worm, adapter, touch hole pick, jag, ball puller, and knapping face (the handle end of the pick):

And then put together as they are stored in the patch box in a small leather sleeve:

The "T" handle on one end of the rod (for ball pulling where a better grip on the rod might be required):

Ball puller on the business end of the rod:

The adapter and worm on the rod end:

Adapter and jag on the rod:

Touch hole pick in use:

Turn screw:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 01:27:37 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
Re: Copy Of a Lovely Chambers Rifle - Forgot something !!!!
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2017, 05:07:48 PM »
Stellar!!!!! - - Let me know if you have a few extra kits laying around  :D

n stephenson

« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2017, 05:15:01 PM »
That`s as slick as boots on a rooster !!! I like the compact design.  Good Job Dave  !!      Nathan

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2017, 05:43:58 PM »
Dave,
Fantastic job on the rifle and love your compact tool for all purposes. It is really neat that it all fits neatly in the patch box! I am planning on getting back on my Chambers rifle very soon and will get in touch when I do like we talked in the late summer. Great build!
elkhorne