Author Topic: Wiley Higgins rifle  (Read 6000 times)

Offline louieparker

Wiley Higgins rifle
« on: September 23, 2015, 03:05:40 AM »
The Wiley Higgins rifle in the Cody museum. The one with the silver, copper and brass lady on the right side of he butt stock. Where can I find decent photos of that rifle ?  I have a good photo of the lady. But nothing else.. Years ago that rifle was in a magazine article. But don't recall where or when nor how  good they were...   Louie

Offline woodsrunner

Re: Wiley Higgins rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 05:50:01 AM »
The original is, if I'm not mistaken, owned by someone in the Kentucky Rifle Assoc. I've seen it several times on display at the annual KRA meeting in Pennsylvania. If you can make contact with someone in the KRA-and somebody here is bound to be a member-maybe you can find what you want.

Offline gibster

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 02:08:17 PM »
Louie - I have no idea where that rifle may be. But there is a rifle that is attributed to Wilie Higgins coming up at auction with James D. Juliea in a couple of weeks.  Here is the link to that rifle.
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=7456&aid=101349&lid=26851640&title=EXCEEDINGLY-RARE-GEORGIA-MADE-SILVER-MOUNTED-RIFLE-WILEY-HIGGINS.

Offline louieparker

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 03:55:56 PM »
Gibster thanks. I looked at that rifle. Nothing there of any help..... LP

Offline louieparker

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 04:06:15 PM »
Woodsrunner you are thinking of the Gamecock rifle. Its owned by a KRA member. This gun is in the Cody Museum ..LP

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 04:30:29 PM »
I wish I could see a shot of this rifle straight down on the tang and a shot of the ramrod inlet pipe and rear sight and the comb and toe too.
Anybody have extra pictures of this one?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 07:03:27 AM »
The rifle referred to in the Julias auction was incorrectly attributed. Wiley Higgins Had nothing to do with that rifle. Julias has updated the listing to reflect my thoughts (and those of several others who are very familia with WGH's work).
Wayne Elliott
Wayne Elliott

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 02:24:30 PM »
I think there's a strong chance that rifle was made by Levi Schreckengost
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline louieparker

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 04:18:07 PM »
Seems anything with silver around the lock is attributed to Higgins.  Regardless of  how its applied or the style and workmanship of the gun.. There is far more to  Higgins work than silver around the lock area....LP

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 07:39:39 PM »
You can see all the pictures you want here. It sold months ago, at this site. http://www.aaawt.com/html/firearms/f698.html
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 11:07:44 PM »
Seems anything with silver around the lock is attributed to Higgins.  Regardless of  how its applied or the style and workmanship of the gun.. There is far more to  Higgins work than silver around the lock area....LP

Yes, I think there is a lot of that going round. Wish I could help you in your search Louie.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?