Author Topic: This ol' thing.  (Read 7353 times)

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
This ol' thing.
« on: September 27, 2015, 10:24:53 PM »
I got this ol' thing here.

When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: This ol' thing.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 10:34:03 PM »
Tell us more. Looks great.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 10:45:16 PM »
Whats the specs on that ol thing Chris
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 11:12:48 PM »
This gun has been a LONG time in coming.  Took me over a year.  I had health problems, and life problems, and I didn't think that they, or this gun, would ever be done with.  Now it is.  This is my very last commissioned rifle.  I just can't do it anymore.  I have WAY too much stuff that I need to do for myself, and I ain't gettin' any younger!  And commission work simply doesn't suit my personality.  I want to do what I want to do, when I want to do it.  ;)

This is based on "Gun #125", which is widely regarded as being from Virginia.  Frankly, I think that is has more than enough Berks-isms to think that it is from Berks county, PA....  But we'll just pretend Virginia for now!  :D

The original gun is quirky and weird, and I wanted to keep that quirkiness...  to a point. Some of the weirdness I just could not bring myself to do! I wish I could have reproduced that odd, pinched-tail lock, but there was just no way.  It would have made the lock panels smaller and look better.... well, more like the original, anyway! The carving designs I more or less copied.  My carving was done the way I usually do it, outlined with a V parting tool.  The original carving seems to have all been done with a knife or stabbed (and not back cut) with a gouge.  The incise lines are all very thin.  I just don't do it that way!   I am definitely NOT the world's greatest carver, but then, if you really look at many old guns, you will see that many of the old masters weren't that great at carving either!  :D

I like the way the wrist shape came out, it's rather thin, vertically (by my normal standards).  It points and feels very nice.  That weirdo downturned sideplate drives me nuts, but that's part of it!  :D  

It's a .54 rifle, and I have yet to test fire it.  Hopefully I can find some balls to shoot in it.  After all that has went on, I don't know where all my stuff is!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 12:25:36 AM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 11:40:00 PM »
Nice choice.  Understated and elegant.  Looking forward to seeing the rifles you want to make, if this is one that didn't turn you on!

I lean toward Berks also because of architecture.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 11:41:20 PM »
Been through alot of that myself but these muzzleloaders , building,shooting, and hunting with them has helped me through some down times. Your gun looks like a great  one and should shoot once you get a good load worked up.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 11:54:05 PM »
I actually do kind of like this rifle, Rich.  :)

For me, mostly the carving on the original gun is what makes it look very Berks county.  The design around the cheek particularly, and the sets of half round gouge stabs (that are not back cut, but one simple, single stab) are very Berksy.  I did not reproduce those on this gun.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 04:22:53 AM »
Nice, Chris!  Simple, yet very well done.  I don't have #125 in front of me, but when I first saw the photos you posted, it screamed Virginia to me.  Particularly, Rockbridge or Augusta school.  The architecture in general (longer wrist specifically), side panels, side plate, are all characteristics of those schools.  Also, and I don't know if you did this on purpose, but the barrel pin location (forward, near the rear ram rod pipe) is also something that is commonly seen in the Valley and the two mentioned schools.  Shape of the wood box is also something you'd see in the area.  I'd say the same thing about the carving, both behind the cheek, and around the tang.  Also, the stab cuts you described are found on both Rockbridge & Augusta school pieces.  Just my opinion, and whether Berks or VA, nicely done rifle...

I also hear ya about building what you want, when you want to build it....  Thanks for sharing,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 01:47:45 PM »
I'm not sufficiently well educated to comment on what school this rifle most resembles...or it's unique "wierdness".
That said...I do know well executed work when I see it.
Very nicely done. Thank you for sharing.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 03:33:19 PM »
I thought you  was turned in to a toad....... :-\
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

kaintuck

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 05:28:04 PM »

DO NOT SEEK THE TREASURE.................. ;D :D

nice rifle...like the aged metal~
marc n tomtom

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 07:37:26 PM »
I like doing the "slightly used" finish. A lot easier for me to do than doing a "brand new" gun!!! And I don't think the treasure is worth it...

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 02:45:12 AM »

DO NOT SEEK THE TREASURE.................. ;D :D

nice rifle...like the aged metal~
marc n tomtom
Also, beware of Bible salesmen and sireens.... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 04:23:51 AM »
Nice looking rifle, especially the simple elegant carving between the cheek piece and butt plate.
Richard

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 07:11:30 AM »
Nice and clean and very pleasing to the eye Chris.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 04:56:58 PM »
Great gun!  I love its simple look and great architecture.

Willbarq

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 08:09:44 AM »
Beauty