Author Topic: Finally ordered some powder  (Read 5802 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Finally ordered some powder
« on: September 30, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
So I finally got around to ordering some powder from PowderInc, figuring that none of it is bound to get any cheaper, and who knows when some in D.C. will decide that the American people can't be trusted with real black powder anymore.

I stuck with GOEX, as it seems to be an all-around ideal powder with good reviews across the board.  I opted for 15 cans of 3Fg, 9 cans of 2Fg and 1 can of 4Fg.  I figured I should at least try some 4Fg as a primer, though most shooters seem to find 3Fg does fine in the pan.

Mainly, I like the idea of getting multiple cans of the same lot, as it will take years to shoot it, and I can expect it to be reasonably reliable over the years (if stored correctly).

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Finally ordered some powder
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 09:29:14 PM »
25 lbs will go faster than you think when you shoot every weekend. It will keep for many yrs when if you store it dark cool an dry
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 12:10:25 AM »
Goex has been the powder I've use for 40 years and have no complaints about it at all. I have used 3fg as a prime but do prefer the 4fg. Powder Inc is who I deal with as well. Good folks IMHO! Enjoy your shooting.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline bones92

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 01:01:04 AM »
I need to think of a good place to store this stuff. 

Cool and dry implies indoors.  I always figured as long as a can was still factory sealed, there wasn't much issue in storing it without climate control.

jamesthomas

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 02:21:10 AM »

Cool and dry implies indoors.  I always figured as long as a can was still factory sealed, there wasn't much issue in storing it without climate control.

I have mine in the bottom of my closet in the box it came in, no need to get fancy with it.

Offline bones92

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 03:36:31 PM »
Got the shipment finally.  I was a bit surprised to see the cans are plastic, but that's probably a good thing.  Wondering if I should have ordered more 3F and less 2F, but the 2F.  I figured 2F is good for BPCR loads, and perhaps larger caliber muzzleloaders (i.e. .58 Enfield,  etc).

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 08:58:08 PM »
I've used 2fg in .40 caliber and up, though I do prefer 3fg in my .40's, .45's, and certain .50's I use. I like 2fg in some .50's and all my .54's... It really comes down to which grain a particular rifle does the best with along with patch and ball combination.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

HEad Redneck

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 07:41:34 PM »
I've used nothing but 3f for 42 years from .40-.62 works great .

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 11:24:27 PM »
I've used mostly Goex for a long time, now.  Currently I'm using Jacks Battle Powder which is made by Goex and comes only in 3F.  I rarely use anything other than 3F except 4F for prime.  I always keep some 2F around for special cases.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 07:01:38 AM »

I have mine in the bottom of my closet in the box it came in, no need to get fancy with it.

Me too. I keep mine in the bottom of a closet in the same carboard box it came in.
I now shoot only 3fg in both my .40 and .54, and prime with 4f. I mostly shoot my .40 and it shoots well from 25 grains to 60. Mostly I shoot it with 35 grains. It takes a long time to use up a can of 3f only shooting 35 grains at a time.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 04:23:25 PM »
24 cans of FF and 1 of FFFF.  I use FF in pistols, .32-.54 rifles, musket and shotguns. Try it you might like it.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Herb

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 05:11:07 PM »
That's a lot of powder to have in your house in case of a fire.   It explodes when burned, you know, hard on firefighters.  A friend of mine had his shop blow up in a fire, due to stored black powder.  I have gone through maybe five or six 25-pound lots over the years, plus a lot of individual cans.  I store mine in white plastic storage buckets with sealing lids.  Available from hardware stores.  I bury mine in the ground outside and cover it over with dirt to conceal it.  Then the cats come and $#@* in this loose dirt, adding to the concealment.
Herb