Author Topic: flints  (Read 12515 times)

Offline Daniel

flints
« on: October 07, 2015, 07:37:15 PM »
Where is the best place to buy flints ? From a small Queen Anne to a Doglock musket.
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

Offline bob in the woods

Re: flints
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:06:51 PM »
The best place to buy them is from whoever has them . ;D   Seriously, I have called to place an order, and a couple of my usual suppliers were out .   I often purchase from Stonewall Creek Outfitters, or Heritage Products.  I like the French flints since they are in keeping with my time and place as far as my involvement with living history goes. Quality has always been very good from these two companies, and it is a pleasure to deal with them.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 08:21:09 PM »
PM Sent
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daniel

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 08:31:48 PM »
pm back to ya.
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

Offline Molly

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 01:17:29 PM »
I have found run of the mill internet sellers to be hit and miss.  Now I only purchase those that I can personally check out at "market fairs" and other similar events.  Maybe a little more expensive but in ordering on line my experience was that I got several that are not really suitable.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 01:54:47 PM »
I have found run of the mill internet sellers to be hit and miss.  Now I only purchase those that I can personally check out at "market fairs" and other similar events.  Maybe a little more expensive but in ordering on line my experience was that I got several that are not really suitable.

YUP.
I recently picked through the vendor offerings at Friendship, and had a little difficulty assembling a couple dozen that I even wanted to own.
That said...I recognize that I'm something of a newbie to Flintlock shooting and probably lack the experience and insight of some here. I still tend to want what is "ideal" rather than being able to know "what will work".

Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline EC121

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 03:07:18 PM »
I buy them wherever I can and grind them to work.  There are stones that will grind flint.  I use a Mizzy brand wheel on my Dremel.  These are the wheels dentist use to shape crowns.  I can grind 4-6 flints before the wheel wears out.  Depends on  how thick the flint is.  You can search for "mizzy wheel" and find a supplier.
Brice Stultz

Offline Dewey

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 03:30:49 PM »
I've had no problems getting them from Track of the Wolf.

bonron

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 05:27:58 PM »
I gat all I want/need from Log Cabin.

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 01:56:50 AM »
Found plenty of very nice ones at the CLA show this year. No problem.

~Tony

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 07:32:39 PM »
Whenever I place an order with TOW I'll usually throw in about a dozen flints. No problems with them ever.

Offline Monty59

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 08:54:12 PM »
I've had also no problems getting them from Track of the Wolf and I live in germany and I am always very satisfried.
Monty

Offline Frank

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 10:08:17 PM »
I only buy where I can pick them myself. Ordered once or twice online and got to many $#@* big hump flints. I go to Dixon's every year and stock up.

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 07:03:19 PM »
I have had good flints come from Neolithics for a good price. More than good enough for range time. I'm close to Dixon's and they have nicer looking flints for sure, but the ones I got from Neolithics give me as many shots and cost less than half the price.

hammer

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 08:18:30 PM »
For any UK readers you cannot do better than go to Will Lord of Beyond2000bc.  Will knaps the finest gunflints from the very best black flint.  And with fair prices.  Not sure if he ships abroad.
Peter.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 12:22:21 AM »
For any UK readers you cannot do better than go to Will Lord of Beyond2000bc.  Will knaps the finest gunflints from the very best black flint.  And with fair prices.  Not sure if he ships abroad.
Peter.
I was getting  flints from Will and then all of a sudden he told me they had closed the flint mine. I inquired later and got the same story. Another gentleman told me he had the same experience. I will agree he had the best flints around.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 01:44:17 AM »
I just received updated info from Will Lord. He will make an order of 1000 flints for me but, the price is $2.713 each. How is that for inflation?

Jamie

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 01:45:04 AM »
Another vote for Track of the Wolf.  I ordered 30 a few weeks ago, they arrived in less than a week (cross-border) and were all consistent in size, just as advertised.

Jamie

leadslinger62

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 02:48:42 AM »
  Just received My Flint order from Neolithic and am pleased wit them. All flat tops and spark very well in my Deerstalker. Curious to see how many shots I get from them....

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 12:28:28 AM »
When I first started shooting a flintlock it was one of those C.V.A. Kentucky rifles from Jukar Spain. You know, with the two piece stock. The flints I used were cut from some white stone, (they were marketed as flint), and sometimes caused the rifle to go bang. Upon being educated I've used English flints. Black as the ace of spades. As they have always worked just fine for me I've never bothered experimenting with other types of flint. I see on TOTW they sell French flints. No real difference in price. Has anyone used them? How do they compare to the English? Or do they just quit after the first shot.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 02:49:33 AM by Squirrel pizza »

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 04:29:47 AM »
I've used both the English and French flints from TOW - right now the Verner likes the French flint better than the English and the Tennessee mtn rifle has an English flint on it - haven't tried the French flint on it yet.