Author Topic: Boatman53's chain device for leg vises  (Read 4673 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Boatman53's chain device for leg vises
« on: October 03, 2015, 02:11:13 AM »
Hi Folks,
Boatman53 (Jim) sent me 2 of his chain mechanisms that work with wooden leg vises to keep the jaw (chop) parallel with the bench leg.  That keeps the vise from racking at an angle and increases the holding power immensely.  I’ve written this before, but there is nothing like these old style wooden leg vises for “soft” holding power, particularly when they are well designed and integrated into the bench.  Traditionally, you placed a pin in the parallel guide to keep the chop parallel to the bench.  That meant every time a new item was held, you had to move the pin to adjust for its width.  The chain mechanism does this automatically.  I grew up with Jim, and I was always amazed at his ability to elegantly solve any mechanical problem.  He grew up in a family of tool and die makers, and a lot of that discipline and skill rubbed off on him.  His chain vise is a good example.  He thought out the design and how it likely would be installed to make a really great product.  In another thread, Rolf shows Jim’s chain vise installed for a new bench, on which you can rout or chisel mortices.  I retrofitted my existing bench and leg vises, which Jim accommodates with external brackets.  In the photos below I show the vise and chain mechanism on my bench.  I also show a stock I am making for an English rifle held for inletting the buttplate.  Using the leg vise and the sliding deadman with peg, I can position the stock such that the end of the stock is shoulder high and easy to shape and fit for the buttplate.  It is held rock solid and does not vibrate while I am rasping the end.  I am a huge fan of these old leg vises and Jim’s device upgrade.
dave   

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Woodbutcher

Re: Boatman53's chain device for leg vises
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 04:16:25 AM »
 Wow! Really good stuff! Woodbutcher

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 06:42:40 AM »
Dave,
That is a really good looking vise setup.  Combined with the sliding deadman it looks like the cats meow.
David

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 04:06:44 PM »
 Really Neat! Dave's right, on the sliding deadman.

Tim C.

Offline c deperro

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 05:44:01 PM »
Great idea . Is Jim selling them and if so do you have his contact information?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 06:23:06 PM »
I guess I don't understand how this thing works.
What keeps the slack out of the chain?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 07:05:16 PM »
Hi Dave,
The chain is anchored on both ends.  The bronze button in my photo anchors the end that goes into the jaw and the little "L" bracket on the guide anchors the other end. When the vise is opened, the jaw end pulls the chain keeping it tight and when the vise is closed, the parallel guide pulls the chain, keeping it tight.

Cdeperro, yes Jim sells them.  His contact is www.ancorayachtservice.com

dave

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 10:10:15 PM »
Really neat idea - I like it and that "deadman" is the cat's meow!!! If I ever build another bench I will defiantly be using this method. I broke my old leg vise MANY years ago  :(- I have all the parts except for the movable wood jaw.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Boatman53

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 11:27:23 PM »
Nice write up Dave, thank you. I've been busy with storm things and haven't had much time to do more that check in. I'm happy to answer any questions on this thread or feel free to PM me.
Jim

JB2

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 06:05:52 PM »
a-HA!  Now I get it too!  Great design.  Giving me new impetus to complete that leg vice I'd started.  Thank you for sharing the pics and the function. 

JB2

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 06:18:18 PM »
Oh, and BTW, I also have bench envy ;D  I'm counting at least 3 different benches in your shop!  I kept thinking I needed one more, but now I'm wondering if TWO more is the way to go.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 08:44:25 PM »
Hi JimB,
There are 5 benches.  One for woodworking, 1 for engraving, 1 for metal working and heat treating, and 2 for staining and finishing, and I want more, more, more, I tell you...........more!!

dave