Author Topic: Outstanding Flints!  (Read 4341 times)

Candle Snuffer

Outstanding Flints!
« on: March 12, 2009, 10:39:52 PM »
I know it's been said before, but I don't think it can be said enough,

"The Rich Pierce flints are outstanding, period!"

I ordered two dozen flints from Rich not more then a week ago and they arrived
today in the mail.  I put one in my Dickert Rifle and dry-fired it 20 times.  I then went outside and did it again 10 more times with a small prime in the pan each time...  Just outstanding!  The flint looks as good as new!  I can't see any wear on it at all!

Rich, if you read this I just want you to know that the check will be in the mail tomorrow, and from now on you are my flint supplier!  I plan on placing another order, and from what I've experienced of your flints so far, they'll probably outlast me.  Great Flints!!!!  Thanks!!! :)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Outstanding Flints!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 12:47:06 AM »
Glad they work for you.  I get a little nervous when folks say they are so good because it kind of raises expectations, and some locks just don't spark much.  My goal is to offer a good product at a decent price and have fun making flints and corresponding with like-minded folks.

On some other sites folks are talking about how long their flints last, 100, 150 shots, etc.  That's a mighty lot of shooting; a half dozen sessions for me.  I just want the flint to spark like crazy for today, because I have plenty more.   ;D
Andover, Vermont

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 01:02:03 AM »
Well Rich you have a great product!  Worth more then you charge I might add!

I've got the check made out and in the stamped envelope, along with a second order inside as well.  When I head off to work in the morning I'll drop it by the Post Office.

I feel like a kid in a candy store with these flints.  They are worth every penny! :)

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 01:11:37 AM »
One of those heavier flints you made me, Rich, is on my .40 - has been fired now well over 100 times, needs knapping again - the third time, but it still sticks out the jaws a'plenty withoutmoving it foreward yet. If I'm careful knapping it, to keep a thin edge, I expect perhaps another 50 to 100. It looks as if it will be my longest lasting flint so far..  As you noted, some locks differ in what they want.  This lock hasn't shown itself to be particularly picky, but never has a flint looked so good after 100 shots.

In musket sizes, they should be marvelous.

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 01:14:28 AM »
I've had the same experience with my flints. First rate.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 12:01:48 PM »
So far in the Chambers' GA lock that Tom Caster put in my rifle, I've consistantly gotten well in excess of 100 shots per Missouri flint. I agree that  it will depend also upon the lock, but I never had that longevity with english  flints. Had the rifle out yesterday and put 50 balls down range. The count on this flint is now up to 112 shots and it has a few more in it.
Gene

Offline elk killer

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 04:52:17 PM »
the rifle i built for my daughter 20 some years ago,,used to eat flints like crazy,,
the L&R flintlock thats in it always hated any kind of flints,,shot it yesterday,,
37 times with the same flint from Rich,,they certainly work well
only flintlocks remain interesting..

ottawa

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 06:29:19 PM »
Dose this show that N- American made using American material is outstanding ;D?

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 05:14:40 AM »
Dose this show that N- American made using American material is outstanding ;D?

It certainly do!

I tried my 5/8 x 3/4 Rich Pierce flints today in my L&R John Bailes lock.  Once again, a complete success of great showers of sparks for a little lock.  I'll be taking two flintlocks to our monthly shoot tomorrow and they both will have Rich's flints in their jaws. :)