Author Topic: #0 Buckshot  (Read 7856 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
#0 Buckshot
« on: October 13, 2015, 04:41:30 PM »
 I have looked everywhere I can think of...... Does anyone know where I can buy #0 buckshot?
I found Ballistic Products, but theirs is hardened.... 6% antimony.

Help!!!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: #0 Buckshot
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 06:48:48 PM »
 Most shotgun shot is hardened. I don't know of any company that makes unhardened shot.

Hungry Horse

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 07:22:43 PM »
I've noticed the same thing as Hungry Horse - maybe 40 or 50 years ago you could get pure lead buckshot (maybe later) but now the shot & buckshot has antimony added for hardness so it does not deform as it goes down the barrel and flies truer.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 07:39:51 PM »
I don't know of any company that makes unhardened shot.
Hornady used to sell the larger sized shot in 5# bags and it was pure lead.  I suspect they still do but finding someone who carries it is another problem.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 08:56:32 PM »
For Hornady buckshot perhaps give Graf & Sons a call, they are in Mexico, MO.

http://www.grafs.com/

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 12:22:42 AM »
hornady's website only lists #4, 00 and 000 and all are hardened.   
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline old george

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 03:35:59 AM »
Small Patch,
  What are you using 0 buck for? Can you use .320 roundballs in it's place?

geo
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 03:46:27 AM »
George,
Well, that's the exact opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish.  #0 buck is .320, and costs less than a third of what .320 round balls cost.
That's why I began this quest.  I may just have to pour my own.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 06:38:57 AM »
Due to the hardness in the hronady buckshot, which is avaialble here, I now cast my own out of dead soft lead, using Lee moulds. My .311"DC Lee, casts .310" and my .319" DC Lee casts perfectly round .320"- both work well with 10ounced denim, which I measure over .022"   "compressing the tines of my calipers on the cloth with mine finger unt tumb.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 06:57:52 AM »
They stopped making Hornady "0" Buck several years ago. I contacted them and bought the last
45 boxes of it. They were closing it out at 9.00 a box shipping included.  I talked to them and it
was made with 97% pure lead. You can mark it with your thumb nail. I use it in all my 32's.
It was used to set the National pistol agg. Record in 2005 which is so high I believe it will never be
broken. 578 score out of 600 points. You can buy 320 cast balls at Friendship for 6.00 a hundred, or. You
could in June.  That's not too bad. I did find several boxes of Hornady "0" buck at Friendship.  In June
but it cost 25.00 a box. There are 700 balls in a box. Keep looking, you might just find some.
                                                                                                                                        Phil
The Pistol Shooter

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 05:33:44 PM »
Could be Frizzen, however the box I bought after obtaining the .32Ten. rifle from Jim Chambers some years back, contained (0 buck) .320" balls that were nasty to load, being too hard. If they are only 3% antimony, I'd be surprised. They are difficult to load but on the other hand my cast .320" RB's load easily with all patches up to .0235" railroad ticking.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:36:41 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Kermit

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 05:53:15 PM »
TotW still lists Hornady shot, but only 000, 00, and 4.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 11:45:57 PM »
Hornady "0" buck measures .321-.324. It loads real easy with a .010 patch with water soulable oil for
lube in my Green Mt, Dehass and Rayl 32 barrels.
The Pistol Shooter

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 12:28:18 AM »
I also complained of the scarcity of suitable pure lead buckshot here some 3 or so years ago. I had even long years before that , when I could buy it, bought 12 gauge shotshells to dismantle for use in my 32 as being cheaper than commercial boxed ML ball. Bulk bagged common lead buck was disappearing.

I believe the matter arose in magnumitis amongst turkey hunters leading to the decline in COMMON LEAD BUCKSHOT and the substitution  of alloyed shot for more distance. Some earlier effect too from outlawing lead for waterfowling.  A clearly declining market for lead shot. Especially with the anti's anti lead stance.   

Moulding is now the best way to go..... Lee's moulds are better than before, and pure lead shot is what the small calibers need. 

Lon

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 03:11:45 AM »
I've been using Hornady 0 in my cimmaron pistol but my stash is just about depleted. Recently at a match in Alabama I was shooting along side of a young fella(excellent shot by the way) who was using 0 buckshot from Ballistic Products. Upon examining one of them, they looked identical to the Hornady shot. He said that they were working fine for him and then proceeded to beat me like a drum and subsequently won the agg. I was just looking at the website and noticed they also offer them in .310 diameter. Maybe that and a little thicker patch would work with those concerned about the 0's hardness and difficulties in starting when loading their gun. 
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 08:15:43 PM »
The Bal. Prod. shot is 6% antimony, BTW...
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West