Author Topic: How I pour a pewter knife bolster  (Read 8903 times)

Offline P.W.Berkuta

How I pour a pewter knife bolster
« on: October 13, 2015, 08:39:15 PM »
I first attach my handle material to the tang. I then mark off the length of the bolster that I want with tape. Next I reduce the area with file to permit the pewter material to fill in the reduced area. I wrap manila folder paper around the handle to form a dam to allow for excess pewter to flow around the knife handle and secure with tape & cord to prevent leakage. I secure the knife in a vise with the blade up and proceed to melt the pewter. When the pewter is melted I flux the melt then pour it into the paper dam. When cooled I remove the paper dam and inspect for voids – fill them if necessary. Shape pewter & handle material using sanding wheel and sandpaper – polish – done.
Note this is also my way to pour muzzle caps except I drill cross holes for the pewter to “lock” into.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

jamesthomas

Re: How I pour a pewter knife bolster
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 08:58:29 PM »
 Very nice! "thumbs up!".

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 09:18:30 PM »
 Well done, Thanks

Tim C.

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 01:04:00 AM »
 I have two questions. What do you flux with and why? I have never fluxed pewter and now think that is the reason my pewter jobs are hit or miss, Thanks,.............JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 04:56:17 AM »
I have two questions. What do you flux with and why? I have never fluxed pewter and now think that is the reason my pewter jobs are hit or miss, Thanks,.............JZ
I use candle wax - same as I would when I cast bullets. I do this to get as much of the impurities out of the melt so they don't end up with a void or outgassing causing bubble voids.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 12:12:20 PM »
Thank you for the detailed tutorial. I love seeing a knife with a well executed bolster such as you have there.
My first question is: What is Pewter...???
More specifically...what is the composition of the Pewter you use..?? I did a brief search and found the term "pewter" appears to cover any of a wide variety of alloys..it doesn't seem to be well defined.
I'm wondering if straight roundball lead would work..??
How about something like linotype, or "hard-cast" bullets..??
Thanks...
Don
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 06:14:48 PM »
Don, the "pewter" that I used for this bolster was purchased from Track of the Wolf. I have bearing babbet metal that I have used. I have used linotype also. Pure lead can be used but it is too soft and discolors -- I like my bolsters to look like nickel (shinny). Hope this helps.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 07:17:44 PM »
 Thanks for a very good tutorial.
Okieboy

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 01:44:32 PM »
That definitely helps. Thank you.
I have a quantity of linotype that I might try. I doubt it will polish up to be quite as pretty as what you are using, and may not hold the beauty as long. Those aren't issues for me however.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Mick C

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 10:49:37 PM »
Cool post.  Thanks!....Mick C
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline crowbarforge

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 04:54:14 AM »
I frequent thrift shops and will pay up to $2.00 for a good sized piece of pewter-ware.  Cut with a band saw or side cutters and melt into ingots. 

Offline JBJ

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 07:07:32 PM »
I have used linotype and it will polish out very well (at least the stuff I have will) and, like Crowbarforge, haunt the thrift shops for "pewter". Most of the time it is really Britannia metal which contains tin, antimony and copper. I prefer the Britannia metal when pouring knife bolsters as there is no lead to cause problems when the knife is used around foods. Linotype does contain some proportion of lead and I just don't bother with it anymore. BTW, when you cut up a "pewter" mug or other thin item, save some strips to use in soldering up pin holes in your casting.
J.B.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 03:50:28 AM »
Mate,
        great little tutorial, will keep an eye for some old pewter beer mugs !!
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !