Author Topic: Re: Wood patchbox (updated pics)  (Read 10251 times)

Offline RHoyle

• Starting Member
Re: Wood patchbox (updated pics)
« on: October 19, 2015, 07:06:39 AM »
Ok, so its been a couple years since I finished my first build and with family, kids, work, and life it makes it hard to find any time, but I've been slowly working on a Chambers York.  I've been at this patchbox all day, and while it looks good, I don't know that I'm totally pleased with it.  I can't quite pinpoint what I don't like, so I guess my question to all of you is, how does the thickness look to you on this one.  My first build also had a wood box and it was too wide and thick and I don't want to make the same mistakes here.
Roger

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 02:10:27 AM by RHoyle »

Offline Jerry V Lape

Re: Wood patchbox
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 07:17:30 AM »
To my eye it appears to be too thick but more apparent the transition from the top center of the box to the outside edge is too abrupt.  Needs to be tapered much more from the center line to the outer edge.  I think if you do that it will be more apparent whether you might want to reduce the thickness quite a bit.  IMHO the parallel sides of the lid extend too far forward as well.  I would consider tapering into the nose from a bit further back. 

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 08:08:17 AM »
I agree with Jerry's comments.  The side edges are too round, sides are parallel too long and the nose is too blunt.  The tapering of the height from the butt end to he nose looks pretty good. 
David

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 04:55:33 PM »
I agree with whats been said about tapper. Lay your lid out on paper and draw a center line on the paper then put a small amount of tapper from rear to front, say a 1/16 from each side in the front and see what that looks like. If you like it transfer that to the box lid and tapper the lid. You could also tapper the thickness from rear to front a little IMHO.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 07:46:39 PM »
There is a early York rifle in the archive's with a wood patchbox lid, J. Herbach 090827-1
I also agree with the others, but I believe the lid is to long overall and if you can't shorten it you will have to make it more pointed so the outline will flow with the buttstock. Just my opinion!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 08:54:28 PM by flinchrocket »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 04:31:17 AM »
I think it looks a little too wide at the lock end. You could taper both sides down a little and this will require you to re-point the end. I'd have a good look at it before shortening the overall length. It's funny how 1/16 here or there can make a big difference.

Definitely go slow, and look often. Even wait a day before you make another change, especially if you're not sure.

Your work looks really good, nice and crisp.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:32:47 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 05:15:48 AM »

Definitely go slow, and look often. Even wait a day before you make another change, especially if you're not sure.

Acer is correct in his remarks in general and especially on taking your time and small changes making large differences. I agree too that your work so far looks very good, nice work on the brass end plate, latch and butt plate. That is going to be a nice rifle.

dave

Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline RHoyle

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 06:25:29 AM »
I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.  I will definitely take it slow.   I'm hoping this rifle turns out ok, at least better than my first one.   That's my goal,  to keep improving.

Offline RHoyle

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 02:09:31 AM »

Well what ya'll think, I like it better.

Offline FALout

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 03:01:04 AM »
Looks much better, the proportions and taper look better.  Good to see you were able to do these changes without any major problems.
Bob

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 03:29:20 AM »
Looks better, but maybe just a tad more.  When done, be sure to taper the flat, below the patch box, up to the edges of your patch box.
To quote an old friend....... Take off wood till your scared, then take off a bit more!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 03:59:11 AM »
I like it!  There is no comparison between the original and your reworked lid.  Like Dane pointed out, don't forget to blend the stock right up to the lid outline.  Good job of recovery.
David

Offline PPatch

Re: Re: Wood patchbox (updated pics)
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 04:02:38 AM »
You do good work sir. The patchbox lid is much improved. How are your lock panels looking?

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 04:35:33 AM »
be careful with the " take off a bit more" advise..  you can get carried away and take off too much.  ask me how ...aw never mind askin'
   looks real good now.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 04:38:15 AM by mark esterly »
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline RHoyle

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 04:58:24 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone, I'll post some lock panels and such when I can back to the workbench.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 07:10:41 PM »
I think it looks very good and I'd leave it alone except to blend the stock right up to the lid outline  (my opinion). That rifle is looking good from what I can see so far ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 08:36:45 PM »
  I think it looks 100% better. When cleaned up and finished it will look great.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Re: Wood patchbox (updated pics)
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 09:13:54 PM »
Mark,
In the extreme that is true. However, most modern builders leave WAYYYYYYY too much wood.  If you've ever had the opportunity to hold any originals, you'll find that most old guns were SKINNY!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 10:52:12 PM »
be careful with the " take off a bit more" advise..  you can get carried away and take off too much.  ask me how ...aw never mind askin'
   looks real good now.
Done that a couple of times and both times had me sweating but when I finally got finished I was very pleased with the outcome.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline RHoyle

• Starting Member
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 11:05:56 PM »
I got the stock blended up to the lid on the patchbox and I think it turned out well.  Ok, so here's what I have going on for my lock panel.

Roger

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 01:15:09 AM »
looks excellent . 
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 01:23:49 AM »
Nice clean lines.  I would prefer the forward portion of the panel to follow the shape of the forward edge of the lock shape more.  The upper line of the panel needs to parallel the shape of the front upper line of the lock to bring this about.  To my eye blunt round ends are not as interesting as those with tapered shapes. The beauty of the long rifle is in the lines flowing from a source and flowing into the rest of the rifle. Blunt shapes interrupt flow.  Hopefully others will set me right if I am off about this.  
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:39:05 AM by Jerry V Lape »

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2015, 05:02:07 AM »
While thinner is often better, I'd suggest that for your next wood box lid, make the dovetails twice as thick.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 05:02:40 AM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2015, 07:35:49 AM »
Stophel, would you elaborate on "twice as thick" please?    What does that mean?  Should the bevels on the stock be twice as deep? Or should the overlap on the lid extend twice as far to the sides?  Or ---?

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 01:21:30 AM »
Your dovetails look really shallow, like 1/8" deep, at best.  That works, of course, but on old guns I tend to see them rather thicker.  3/16" - 1/4".  By thick I mean the depth of the dovetail cut itself (with the gun on it's side, box up, the vertical height of the dovetail).  

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:22:38 AM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."