Author Topic: Locks  (Read 5429 times)

JCurtiss

Locks
« on: October 21, 2015, 06:48:35 PM »
So I've heard good things about Chamber's locks. What about RE Davis and L&R Locks?

Is there a clear standout?

I'm speaking about flint rather than percussion ignition systems here.

Thanks!

Jason

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: Locks
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 07:04:01 PM »
 Davis locks are excellent in my opinion. L&R makes a good product except I think their internals are tempered too hard. I have had several internal parts on L&R locks break especially the tumblers. Also sometimes the half cock position of the hammer is too close to the frizzen and flints have to be altered to fit. The good part is they make real cool looking styles. As far as quality goes I have never found a lock to beat Chambers. I have had super good service from all the lock providers.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 07:06:04 PM »
Chambers is the best as far as I am concerned. 

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 07:09:25 PM »
Hi Jason,
All of those makers produce locks that will serve well but Chamber's locks are the standouts in that group.  I use Davis and L&R locks if the style of gun calls for them and if Chambers does not make the appropriate style.  However, if a Chambers lock is appropriate for the gun I am making, I always use their product.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 07:18:59 PM »
I have always used Chambers locks but the last two guns I built using Davis 's English fowling gun lock and they have been great. They are a big lock....not as "refined" in appearance as the Chambers in my opinion, but a really good functioning lock.  It seemed to suit the guns I was building so I tried it and am not sorry I did.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 07:21:12 PM »
I also have used locks from all three makers and have good luck with all except the L&R does have too hard internals. I have broken a few tumblers but their service was super and fast.

JCurtiss

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 08:17:05 PM »
Thank you all for the insightful comments.

Jason
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:18:08 PM by JCurtiss »

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 08:22:09 PM »
1st choice: Jim's locks are excellant and require very little work to make a very "slick" lock. Most of his internals are well polished were needed. His frizzens are properly hardened, frizzen, sear and main springs have a good tension, not to heavy and not to light, just right.

2nd choice: Davis locks are also very good locks. I have used Davis locks on my last two builds. I find that Davis locks are of a very rugged design, they need a little more polishing of the internals to make a "slick" lock than a Chambers lock does. The thing I like about the Davis locks are that they have some differant designs that work well in the Colonial and golden age period. The Davis locks I have used have had properly hardened frizzens, good springs and all functioned well.

My last choice would be an L&R, I don't like to talk badly about these locks becasue I think they can be good locks but require much more work than the other two on the internals to make a good "slick" lock. There are a couple of things I do not like about the design of their Manton styled lock. First if you are not carefull the pivot arm of the tumbler to mainspring can be put in backwards. If you do this you can break the "ears" on the tumbler that holds the link or pivot arm. Second is the fly rides on a pin on the underside of the tumbler. If you are not and experianced builder it is very easy to get the fly in backwards. I have used a number of these locks because I like their style but I hate the fly arrangement.  The last L&R lock I used was a Queen Ann and the mainspring arm that goes under the bolster had to be ground quite a bit so that it would clear the barrel. This is not a big deal, just another step to make the lock "fit" that I don't have to do with the other makers locks.

All are good locks and much better than I could build for their price. ;D
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 09:21:43 PM »
Chambers is excellent. I use several Davis looks that are very good...a couple others not so much. L&R locks are fishing sinkers these days.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 09:24:30 PM »
1st choice: Jim's locks are excellant and require very little work to make a very "slick" lock. Most of his internals are well polished were needed. His frizzens are properly hardened, frizzen, sear and main springs have a good tension, not to heavy and not to light, just right.

2nd choice: Davis locks are also very good locks. I have used Davis locks on my last two builds. I find that Davis locks are of a very rugged design, they need a little more polishing of the internals to make a "slick" lock than a Chambers lock does. The thing I like about the Davis locks are that they have some differant designs that work well in the Colonial and golden age period. The Davis locks I have used have had properly hardened frizzens, good springs and all functioned well.

My last choice would be an L&R, I don't like to talk badly about these locks becasue I think they can be good locks but require much more work than the other two on the internals to make a good "slick" lock. There are a couple of things I do not like about the design of their Manton styled lock. First if you are not carefull the pivot arm of the tumbler to mainspring can be put in backwards. If you do this you can break the "ears" on the tumbler that holds the link or pivot arm. Second is the fly rides on a pin on the underside of the tumbler. If you are not and experianced builder it is very easy to get the fly in backwards. I have used a number of these locks because I like their style but I hate the fly arrangement.  The last L&R lock I used was a Queen Ann and the mainspring arm that goes under the bolster had to be ground quite a bit so that it would clear the barrel. This is not a big deal, just another step to make the lock "fit" that I don't have to do with the other makers locks.

All are good locks and much better than I could build for their price. ;D

All three do all they can for the prices they get. I have used the Davis Twigg and their Hawken caplock plates and hammers as a chassis for an upgraded mechanism. Ditto for the L&R Small Manton,Ashmore and Durs Egg as well as the Chambers late Ketland. No problems with the frizzens on any of the flintlocks or anything else including frizzen springs.

Bob Roller

Offline heinz

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 02:58:22 AM »
If you want a clear standout buy one from Bob Roller. But the are more expesive but durn reasonable for what they are. Next is Chambers. L and R  and Davis will both require some tuning. If you do not know how to do that spend the money on a Bob Roller
kind regards, heinz

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 04:11:42 PM »
I agree with the posts above but wanted to add a couple of other sources for really good locks.  Stan Hollenbaugh builds a couple of really nice locks with hand forged springs that are fast as lightning and Larry Zorn builds really nice locks also.  He has just come out with an early style lock that would look great on an early Berks Co. or Early Lehigh Valley style gun.  I picked one up at the CLA and am tickled with it.
Gary Tucker

kaintuck

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 04:30:07 PM »
I like chambers locks....just because Barbie packages them personally........ ;D

marc n tomtom

ahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.............................

JCurtiss

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 05:07:44 PM »
Thank you all again for the valuable feedback on locks.

I am building a kit (Verner) that was supplied with an RE Davis lock. Based on what I've learned from this thread, it's a decent lock, so I guess I'll keep it.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 08:54:07 PM »
I suggest that you buy one of each.   Then you can judge for yourself.    After a careful visual examination, working the action,  noticing the feel and sound of the action, and checking for play in the moving parts, you should be able to rank them yourself.    There is some variation in quality depending on the particular assembler.   To the best of my knowledge,  they all farm out the assembly work.   My personal opinion is that Chambers takes the best approach to the manufacturing and assembly and has the best quality control.   And then, there is always Barbie personally packaging your lock.  ;)

To paraphrase Bob Roller,  you get what you pay for.   Actually, in some cases, you get far more that you pay for.   If Bob or anybody else on this forum was to make you a lock from scratch,  it would cost 2-3 times or more what the most expensive of the commercial locks cost. 

I should note that they all require finishing.   By that I mean, they must be finish filed and polished on the outside and usually require some stoning of the wear surfaces on the inside.  I often add decorative file work and engraving.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:59:01 PM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 09:45:16 PM »
Since we are back on the who makes the best lock question again I figure I will ask this question again.On the last thread a couple folks stated that old L&R locks where not as good as new ones but there was plenty of old locks/parts in inventorys out there.My question was is there a way to tell new from old?Tell tale casting marks,parts,metal finish ect.to tell one from the other.Folks said the old ones are pretty much destined for trouble???yet someone else says he's had them function flawlessly for a decade???are the problems specific to one style lock say a durs egg or say a early english?Just put the darn thing together and see what happens?I'm only asking because when the last thread was sent elsewhere it looks like it ran its course without an answer.Thanks,Joe

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2015, 03:45:31 AM »
Well I have had L_R locks, a small Siler an large silver and a RE.Davis also. But the one that shines above the rest for always doing what it's supposed to do. Is my little C A Many on style on my 36. Why have no idea! Cheap lock but really is dependable. Go figure!