Author Topic: Blown Drum  (Read 10866 times)

JB2

Re: Blown Drum
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 09:56:42 AM »
Just wondering if barrel movement under recoil could be the cause of some drum failures?  Less than perfect inletting around the breech plug, and just shooting, would let the barrel move a little more and more over time, and that 'perfect fitting' cutout in the lockplate would just keep stressing the breechplug at it weakest point.  I wonder if a little fore-and-aft clearance between, but with support underneath would be better than a tight fit if the barrel starts to move under recoil?  Of course, if everything is tight so there's no movement at all, would be the better solution.

Offline hudson

Re: Blown Drum
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 09:32:26 PM »
Guess I will add my thoughts on the subject. I think I have built my last drum and nipple rifle, will stay with the patent breach. Last build was a Bean .40 cal. 13/16 barrel. Looking at drums 1/2 is out 1/4-28 nipple has a 1/4 shank that goes 1/2 through that 1/2 drum. Ended up using a system similar to CVA. A breech plug was made slightly longer and a chamber drilled. The drum was made from a grade eight bolt. I drilled through the barrel and stopped short of the chamber in the breach plug. Re-sharpened the tap drill to flat to cut a square shoulder in the bottom of the hole. the drum was then fitted similar to a breech plug. A smaller hole was drilled into the chamber similar to the drum, have forgotten the size. This hole is in front of the bottom of the chamber to prevent misfires from fouling similar to CVA which is drilled at the bottom of the chamber. I believe I went with a 7/16 drum and had to counter sink ever so slightly so it would match the barrel flat. All from a pore memory hope this of some help.