Author Topic: How is a round ball pouch made?  (Read 15259 times)

Offline Bluesmoke

• Starting Member
How is a round ball pouch made?
« on: October 25, 2015, 01:09:00 AM »

I have some old welding gloves that I intend to use to make a R Ball pouch.

I have not done much leather work but understand that the bag needs to sewn and then  turned inside out so the stitching is on the inside of the bag.

Given the narrow neck of the bag, is the bag reversed before last stitches for neck are sewn?

It is a bit hard to visualize how its done.

I am looking for advice on how to achieve this.

Thanks
Bluesmoke

Offline FDR

Re: How is a round ball pouch made?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 03:55:39 AM »
Here is a link to one way to make one. The tutorials section may have others.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=25263.0

Offline Bluesmoke

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 05:23:50 AM »
Thank you  for the link,FDR.
Obviously it is made in the image of a tortoise. It only clicked after I looked for a few moments. I had seen others that were just a basic pear shape, however I do like tortoise shape.

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 06:48:06 PM »
My own experience is that I have found it difficult to turn them inside out without some damage and a lot of agony, depending on the thickness of the leather and the width of the top of the bag. I've only been able to turn them inside out if the leather was quite thin and the mouth quite wide. There are several methods I know of including using to a rounded dowel or a pull cord to turn them inside out. If the leather is even 3/4 oz thick cowhide i prefer to stitch them on the outside.

The book "Getting the Lead Out" by Karl Z. Smith is a photographic collection of original ball and shot pouches. The examples in the book show many variations in construction and materials. Some of the pouches are folded in half and stitched on one side, some are stitched from 2 pieces. Some are turned inside out but many are not.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:43:52 AM by SligoBill »

Offline JBJ

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 07:35:42 PM »
All of the ball pouches that I have made over the years have been sewn inside out. I typically use a herringbone stitch to sew completely around the perimter. The leather that I normally use is soft and roughly .040 inch thick ( I just measured a scrap from the last pouch.) I then kind of fold the bottom portion pouch lenghtwise and begin to turn the neck back over the pouch until I have completely reversed things - much like peeling a sock off your foot. Yes, it is slow work but can be done. After things are rightside out, I insert the spoat and with soft copper wire secure the pouch keeping the twist small and buried  in the groove in the spout body. I leave 3/8ths or so of pouch sticking above the wire and turn this back over the wire to completely hide it. It could just as well be tied securely with a bit of waxed linen that I use to sew the pouch with. A bit of glue secures this turned back piece of pouch hiding the wire. I'm sure that was as clear as mud! It works for me and I have never had one to come a part. Shout if you have questions. 

Online okieboy

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 12:43:19 AM »
 There is a ball bag on the Contemporary Makers blog today that you might enjoy looking at.
Okieboy

B Staley

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 11:07:19 PM »
For my 32 cal I used an old scrap of horn.

Offline Maven

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 03:39:08 AM »
As there isn't a local source of leather or leather working supplies, and as I also needed a more effective, not to mention better looking RB pouch than I presently use (a Royal Crown drawstring bag), I got the idea to try something else.  To wit, I had a a length of blue jean material (from the knee down) and a copper flask for loading BP revolvers on hand:  I simply traced the outline of the flask on a piece of cardboard, cut it out, and used it as a pattern for cutting out the denim. If you do this, make the neck a bit wider than normal since it makes turning the sewn pouch right side out easier.  I sewed the two pieces together inside out, and then pulled the inside out through the neck.  I didn't have any wood or antler to use as a neck, so I simply stitched the ends to reinforce them, a small hem of sorts, and called it done.  It will hold at least 2 dz. .600" RB's and can be tied with a piece of leather shoe lacing if need be.  Needless to say, it works, and looks nice, but I haven't anywhere near the skill most of you have at this sort of thing.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 05:39:36 PM »
 Somehow I missed this earlier, if you still looking take a look at this it may help:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=30238.0

Tim C.

Offline Maven

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 06:09:09 PM »
Thanks for the link, Tim!  Oddly enough, my denim pouch looks very much like the one in your tutorial.  Btw, the denim came from (builder's? jeans legs) was used as padding when the builder shipped my rifle. :)
Paul W. Brasky

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 10:11:04 PM »
I've cobbled together pouches from various weights of leather and a couple out of buckskin.  After I soak them in hot water I fill them with shot and let them dry.  These turn out anywhere from almost wood hardness to easily squeezable ones that pop back out to shape.  Caution: always use the same weight/type of leather for both sides; otherwise it may acquire a weird shape.

I never worry about turning them outside in.

a soft one from buckskin.

Here is the weird one with 2 different weight leathers; looks like a stomach.

this is a belt pouch front and back.

The nice ones pictured in the other posts require much more skill than I possess.  As long as they do their job and don't take too much work; I'm satisfied.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline mab7

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 11:42:09 PM »
I made these two from 6oz cow hide that was vegetable tanned. They measure just under 3" x 4 3/4" and will hold a lot more than you would think. Cut them out from a pattern, stitch them flat, soak them in water and then stretch them using sand, shot, round balls, etc. Let them dry, dye them and I sealed mine with a 50/50 mix of beeswax and neatsfoot oil.

michaelB.

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 01:29:50 AM »
I generally use 8-9 oz leather and have patterns for various sizes (i.e. caliber and quantity of balls).  Most end up around 6 to 6 1/2" x 3 1/2".  Since I normally make to order, I end up carving a plug out of cedar, sometimes holly (hate carving holly), walnut, oak or chestnut.  Plugs are attached to the bag with either a brass chain or braided linen The first one I made in about 1977 was out of about 6 oz very soft leather and was turned inside out.  I don't think it's worth the effort.

Over the years I have settled on making them as Hanshi described...  draw from a pattern, cut, glue, hole the leather via punch or you could always drill the holes with a 7/32 bit, stitch, then like he said, soak in hot water, use a mandrel to open the pouch then fill with balls then gently slap each side to form the bag.  Let dry and then apply your choice of leather conditioner.  Oh, by this step, I've generally got a plug well on its way so I will start forming the opening to the plug, while the leather is wet.

I have some pictures, but I am a newby here and darned if I can figure out how to post pictures.  Oh well....
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:33:52 AM by michaelB. »

Offline Bluesmoke

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 02:30:15 PM »
Thanks heaps fellas,

I am so spoiled for choice now.They all look real old timey and that was the effect I was seeking.

Thanks for your efforts

Bluesmoke

steeler61065

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 08:36:39 PM »
Somehow I missed this earlier, if you still looking take a look at this it may help:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=30238.0
Tim
In the link, you mention a coupe stitch  ??? new to leather working, whats a coupe stitch

Tim C.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 11:47:03 PM »
[quote

Tim In the link, you mention a coupe stitch  ??? new to leather working, whats a coupe stitch

[/quote]

That should be; "run a couple of stitches". It has been corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 11:47:53 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 04:28:01 AM »
The coupe stitch only has two doors.
The sedan stitch has four.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 10:31:16 PM »