Author Topic: Original Southern Bag and Horn  (Read 5191 times)

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Original Southern Bag and Horn
« on: March 13, 2009, 06:01:26 PM »
Most of you guys probably saw this, but if not, in the ALR Virtual Museum there is a fine original iron mounted rifle, by a relatively early (as far as iron mounted southern guns go) Georgia maker named Richard Allen.  There are also the original bag and fine little banded horn that have been passed down through the family with the rifle.  The bag and horn are worthy of their own post and are truly "accoutrements" with the rifle, and it is rare to see so fine a set maintained together so that we can study the bag and horn in the context of the rifle they served, an approximate region and timeframe.  Enjoy.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=3626.0

Guy

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Re: Original Southern Bag and Horn
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 08:14:47 PM »
Thanks for bringing that to out attention Guy!   Great bag and horn!

Gary 
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 08:56:26 PM »
Ian sent those photos in last week - I just though some of you guys who are more interested in the bags and horns might have missed it since it was attached to the files with the gun photos.

Guy

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 10:20:59 PM »
We sometimes tend to get away from the simplicity of the old original pouches. The k-i-s-s principle applied in most all of the old ones. Thanks for the reminder and with sharing  the rare beauty of plain old simple......Frank

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 11:10:54 PM »
I think sometimes Southern rifle makers, Ga. in particular, don't get as much credit as they deserve.  From what I've seen Southern made rifles and paraphernalia compare with the best made anywhere in the colonies and (later) states.  One of the finest displays I've seen was an exhibit at the UGA Museum of Art a good number of years back.  All rifles were made in Ga. by Ga. gun makers and all of them were original.  The artistry was first rate with use of silver wire, gold inlays as well as carving & engraving being particularly masterful.  All the accoutrements were similarly impressive.  The photographs of the Allen rifle & equipment are a good example.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Trkdriver99

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 04:05:23 AM »
Does anyone have the measurements on the bag? I would like to see the backside. Just square and at least 3 sewn sides. Just plain and simple.

I know where a horn very similar to that one is and there is a bag with it. The bag is different from that one. A little fancier.  I was told that they had belonged to John Sevier. I will try to get some pictures of them to post.

Ronnie

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 06:43:43 AM »
If you have access to any photos of items used by John Sevier I sure would love to see them - thanks!

Guy