Author Topic: Has Pyrodex changed ?  (Read 14162 times)

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Has Pyrodex changed ?
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 11:14:03 PM »
I plan on never having an empty powder horn  .   Once I get below 200 pounds of lead in the shed, I start looking for more .  ......actually, I'm always looking for more  ;D    Usually, a couple of us will go in on a 25 Lb. case of powder. When I shot a lot of competitions with my SSCR I'd go through a couple pounds in a weekend , so 25 Lbs. is not really too much to have. The other bonus is that you have the same Lot # , so more consistency in your loads. 

Offline retired fella

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 12:04:08 AM »
years ago when I first got into "this obsession" I would store all my powder in a false bottom of a sofa.  This happened to be where the wife would sit and watch her TV shows.  When she found out she was not happy!!
       ::) ::) ::)

Offline J Henry

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2015, 12:55:13 AM »
  Interesting how the EX-sperts of today are the bad guys of tomorrow. Find that alot!! ""This is how it is and shall be from now until" ...They( EX-sperts) said  so I believe it and that makes it so,,,,....!!I have never use anything but Pyrodex, shame,shame shame,all that and I shoot a Capper,,,Sorry!!! I didn't have any Sage Advice givers and just stumbled in the dark,Reading and doing,having had no problems from then till now I will continue to use it till the EX-sperts of today become the bad guys of tomorrow. World needs more sperts..
 I shoot some Real Black Powder ,,if I could find it from a steady source in my area.
    Do what works for you,,enjoy the Christmas Holidays and may all you days be filled with big clouds of white smoke..
 See you up the trail, if your in the lead don't spit...

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2015, 01:24:20 AM »
BP REALLY is easy to have delivered to your door. When I order I get 10 to 15 lbs at a time. If I can afford that anybody can. None for sale locally is not an excuse.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2015, 04:06:26 AM »
years ago when I first got into "this obsession" I would store all my powder in a false bottom of a sofa.  This happened to be where the wife would sit and watch her TV shows.  When she found out she was not happy!!
       ::) ::) ::)

Did she smoke??? ;D ::)
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Elmo

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2015, 07:01:22 AM »
I have been shooting ml's for over 40 years and have never used anything but black powder. I do have several Thompson Center ml's with the barrels ruined by the substitutes, bought cheap or given to me. I use them to rebarrel when I get an idea that I want to try. And you can order black powder and have it delivered to your door. Many sellers will only sell a 25 lb case.
  Elmo

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2015, 04:41:41 PM »
BP REALLY is easy to have delivered to your door. When I order I get 10 to 15 lbs at a time. If I can afford that anybody can. None for sale locally is not an excuse.

Absolutely right.  Powder Inc. is just one of the vendors that sells BP delivered to your door in lots as little as 5 lbs.  http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm  With "replica powders" selling on average from $26 to $30 locally in most places, it is a bargain to buy real BP from most on-line vendors.  You can buy GOEX in 5 lb lots for less than that and even Swiss at around $31 in 5 lb lots and around $26 in 10 lb lots.  In 25 pound lots the savings is really a lot.  As Mike said, "None for sale locally is not an excuse".  Of course if you prefer using the "replica powders", that's strictly your business and no one else's. 

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Elmo

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2015, 05:45:14 PM »

Absolutely right.  Powder Inc. is just one of the vendors that sells BP delivered to your door in lots as little as 5 lbs.  http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm  With "replica powders" selling on average from $26 to $30 locally in most places, it is a bargain to buy real BP from most on-line vendors.  You can buy GOEX in 5 lb lots for less than that and even Swiss at around $31 in 5 lb lots and around $26 in 10 lb lots.  In 25 pound lots the savings is really a lot.  As Mike said, "None for sale locally is not an excuse".  Of course if you prefer using the "replica powders", that's strictly your business and no one else's. 

Mole Eyes

Thanks for the link! I cannot afford a 25 lb case. The 10 lb case however is affordable.
 Elmo

Offline J Henry

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2015, 06:17:23 PM »
  Might have to look into ordering some,never looked into it,easier to pick it up on the way by the store.  I would have to get someone to help me burn that much powder,,
  Never tried Real BP. will #11 caps still set it off??now I will have to go back to the range and shoot to develope a load with BP or will it still be the same??  Hate it when I have to go shooting!!!! Wife says she might try BP in her rifle, after I change over and see what is involved,,,
  How does the HazMat cost off set the over all cost??

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2015, 06:52:48 PM »
Don't know if anyone else had this problem. But have a few friends who shot 777 an pyrodex in there guns. An when they went to pull the breech plug they were rusted up tight. An yes they cleaned the barrels every time they shot. So what happened. Me I will never use either one. But like I said I'm old.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2015, 06:52:57 PM »
 Might have to look into ordering some,never looked into it,easier to pick it up on the way by the store.  I would have to get someone to help me burn that much powder,,
  Never tried Real BP. will #11 caps still set it off??now I will have to go back to the range and shoot to develope a load with BP or will it still be the same??  Hate it when I have to go shooting!!!! Wife says she might try BP in her rifle, after I change over and see what is involved,,,
  How does the HazMat cost off set the over all cost??

I don't know how all the other vendors do it, but Powder Inc. gives you the FEES INCLUDED price per unit and a wide variety of powders.

You have to sign a form and send it in.  Once it's on file, they'll ship you your desires.  The per can price drops significantly as the quantity goes up. This is mostly a function of the HM fee being distributed over more units.  I found 10# shipment to my door MUCH more economical than driving 2 hours round trip and paying the Retail prices, and more satisfying that subjecting myself to the limitations of a small dealer's inventory.

There's no valid excuse if you live in the continental States.

A few sparks off a frizzen will light FF in my pan, of course a cap will light it.  BP is the real deal. 

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:56:32 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2015, 06:57:35 PM »
I think you can go together with a bunch of guys and get your 25# and get your better deal. If your #11 caps can set off the fake $#@* it will set off the real stuff.

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2015, 09:18:27 PM »

Mole Eyes
[/quote]

Many thanks for the link.  I shall give them a call.

Offline retired fella

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2015, 09:33:48 PM »
Old Ford

No, she doesn't smoke but she was "smoking" when she first found out!!!!! :D :D

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2015, 11:20:41 PM »
I think you can go together with a bunch of guys and get your 25# and get your better deal. If your #11 caps can set off the fake $#@* it will set off the real stuff.

Yes, as Smylee Grouch said, going in with a coupe of your friends and splitting a case will get you the best price per pound.  BP is easier to ignite than the replica powers which is why they usually don't work well in flintlocks.  I've never seen any test data on it, but just by listening at the range it sounds to me that real BP may give you a little faster ignition.  It would be interesting to see some test data from Pletch or someone on that.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer