Author Topic: Jim Kibler Kits - UPDATED photos and website  (Read 32735 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Jim Kibler Kits
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2015, 11:27:53 PM »
Another rifle I believe to be by Whitson. 

More photos and discussion can be found in the following thread (The ebay E. Tenn Rifle!):  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=28878.0

Thanks,
Jim

BartSr

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2015, 11:48:58 PM »
Drooling, amazing!

Offline J. Talbert

Re: Jim Kibler Kits - additional photos included
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2015, 06:12:43 AM »
Way to go Jim!

I think you picked a winner to reproduce, and yours looks even better than the original in my opinion.

Looks top notch,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

N. Fraley

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 05:30:43 PM »
Hi there All:

I've been a long time lurker and finally registered for the website several weeks ago. I'm a complete newbie to muzzleloader building, although I've been researching the topic for a while now. Yesterday, I "bit the bullet" so to speak and pre-ordered the new Jim Kibler N.C. mountain rifle kit in .40 caliber, since that is what is legal here in CA. The option of ordering the kit in .40 caliber was what sealed the deal for me. I am beyond excited and can't wait for late winter or there about for when the kits are ready for delivery!

Although I now live in northern California, I was born and raised in East Tennessee, and my ancestors have lived and hunted in the hills there and also in northwestern VA and NC since the mid- 1700's, so my first inclination was to build my first flintlock in a north E. TN style. However, after lots of reading on the forum and checking out the kits of various producers, it soon became apparent that finding a high quality, historically accurate kit in some variation of a TN or "southern" style was near impossible. Also, from what I can surmise, most of those kits can be quite challenging for a newbie who may or may not have the chops for wood and metal work.

So, for someone like me, having a chance to construct a flintlock that is historically accurate, of high quality, and is probably fairly close to what my ancestors would have used is a dream come true. If I take a liking to this hobby I will most likely also try out one or two of the Jim Chambers kits (possibly the York or the Isaac Haines) in order to develop my gun building chops, although my real interest is in the northern E. TN schools and surrounding regions. I'd like to eventually be able to build rifles in the E. TN styles from the ground up, but we'll see how my skills develop.

That said, many, many thanks Jim for all your hard work in finally making this sweet, sleek NC mountain rifle kit a reality! At the very least, I know I'll come away with high quality flintlock that I will enjoy shooting and one day can pass on as a "new" family heirloom.

Cheers,
NF

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2015, 07:48:52 PM »
Hi there All:

I've been a long time lurker and finally registered for the website several weeks ago. I'm a complete newbie to muzzleloader building, although I've been researching the topic for a while now. Yesterday, I "bit the bullet" so to speak and pre-ordered the new Jim Kibler N.C. mountain rifle kit in .40 caliber, since that is what is legal here in CA. The option of ordering the kit in .40 caliber was what sealed the deal for me. I am beyond excited and can't wait for late winter or there about for when the kits are ready for delivery!

Although I now live in northern California, I was born and raised in East Tennessee, and my ancestors have lived and hunted in the hills there and also in northwestern VA and NC since the mid- 1700's, so my first inclination was to build my first flintlock in a north E. TN style. However, after lots of reading on the forum and checking out the kits of various producers, it soon became apparent that finding a high quality, historically accurate kit in some variation of a TN or "southern" style was near impossible. Also, from what I can surmise, most of those kits can be quite challenging for a newbie who may or may not have the chops for wood and metal work.

So, for someone like me, having a chance to construct a flintlock that is historically accurate, of high quality, and is probably fairly close to what my ancestors would have used is a dream come true. If I take a liking to this hobby I will most likely also try out one or two of the Jim Chambers kits (possibly the York or the Isaac Haines) in order to develop my gun building chops, although my real interest is in the northern E. TN schools and surrounding regions. I'd like to eventually be able to build rifles in the E. TN styles from the ground up, but we'll see how my skills develop.

That said, many, many thanks Jim for all your hard work in finally making this sweet, sleek NC mountain rifle kit a reality! At the very least, I know I'll come away with high quality flintlock that I will enjoy shooting and one day can pass on as a "new" family heirloom.

Cheers,
NF
I don't think you can go wrong with this one.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bgf

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2015, 12:04:40 AM »
You never cease to amaze me!  That is an awesome rifle to start with and your kit looks pretty much perfect.  The price seems very reasonable also. 

Offline TDW

• AF&AM, DORIC LODGE #53, Past Master
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2015, 03:02:50 AM »
Jim,
   These are amazing !! I think even someone with my crummy skill level could make a decent rifle with one of these. Walnut for me.... Now....what caliber to chose....another .36 or .40 or should I go with a .32....? Squirrels beware !!! I will PM you shortly!!!
Tom

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Jim Kibler Kits - UPDATED photos and website
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2015, 03:09:43 AM »
Thank you all the the positive responses and encouragement!  I'm very excited about this project.

I have added some photos that have better lighting and I also have added detailed information about the kit on my website.  http://www.jimkibler.net/kit-gun.html

Also, for those that want to pay by credit card, this option is now available as well since the kit has been added to the store.  http://www.jimkibler.net/store/p24/Mountain_Rifle_Kit_Gun_%28Base_Price_%24950%29.html

You can select options and the proper price should show once it's added to the cart.

Any questions (or trouble with the website), please let me know. Thanks again for all the kind words.

Jim

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2015, 04:35:11 AM »
Obviously I missed it. But when people order at that time do they state lop. Or are they (kits) a general length? Thanks Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2015, 05:36:14 PM »
Obviously I missed it. But when people order at that time do they state lop. Or are they (kits) a general length? Thanks Jim

The pull on each gun is cut to a standard length of 13.75".   I'm not able to adjust this as the buttplate fit would be affected.  Most will find the gun to be a comfortable fit.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2015, 08:14:51 PM »

The pull on each gun is cut to a standard length of 13.75".   I'm not able to adjust this as the buttplate fit would be affected.  Most will find the gun to be a comfortable fit.

Thanks,
Jim

I'm very comfortable with the 14 and 1/8" pull on the English target and hunting rifles.
This kit when assembled should be a very nice handling piece.

Bob Roller

Offline blienemann

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2015, 08:59:49 PM »
I remember a display at the CLA show many years back - Danny and Kiwi at Caywood used this same approach to shape stocks for their copies of the Crockett rifle - but for their own use only, I believe.  Even roughed in the carving, removed background to a level plain, and then would detail by hand.  Works well for exact copies, or a numbered series of identical rifles in their case.

A precut stock like this (in other styles) could sure accelerate a carving class at WKU.  Once folks learn how to shape a rifle and have the carving flow from that architecture, they could explore a variety of tools and techniques in 5 - 9 days.

Another jump in technology, after Jim C's, Getz, Dunlap, Lepley and others') kits.  Are there future projects in mind?

Boompa

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2015, 12:10:51 AM »
   Wow! The clean lines and detail on your pre-carve is incredible. 

Offline TDW

• AF&AM, DORIC LODGE #53, Past Master
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2015, 06:33:24 PM »
Jim,
   Deposit sent !!  Good luck on this great project, and thanks from those of us who know and demand good rifle work, but couldn't produce it on a bet without a head start ............... :) !
Tom

Offline Keithbatt

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2015, 02:19:53 AM »
Well, I just sent my deposit and can't wait to see the product.  By the looks of the pictures I won't have many excuses if this rifle doesn't turn out well.

Thanks.

Keith

Offline frontstuffer

• Starting Member
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2015, 04:11:11 AM »
I'll bet if this kit is made using a CNC machine the tolerances will be so tight that you could buy one in 32 cal. and buy a barrel with tang and barrel lugs in 40 cal. With the barrel lug holes pre drilled they would line-up, You would have a great squirrel rifle and a deer rifle in some state's.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2015, 08:12:23 PM »
Jim, Wow, what a great advancement in the so called Kit guns!
Given the fit, the finish, and the great architecture of this rifle, I'll bet you'll sell the as fast as you can make them!

As a bit of comparison, your rifle has 13.75 length of pull and a 4 inch drop at the heel. The Ebay rifle (Reply # 25) is 13" to the back trigger and 14.25 to the front with 4 inch drop at the heel, and it's a very handy and naturally pointing rifle, at least for me.

Good luck with this great project,
John
John Robbins

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2015, 10:07:44 PM »
Thanks JTR and everyone else.  I've worked hard on this project and it's nice to see it finally coming to fruition.  Thank you all for the wonderful response. 

Jim

kaintuck

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2015, 10:46:21 PM »
Guess me and ol Mike will REtire.... :D

very nice CNC, knew it was coming from somebody~ the scan/CNC/cut is out there for almost anything.......and with people having less time and $$ to build one from the ground up  THIS IS GREAT!

If you want only to have a couple of rifles....this is THE way!...I have hundreds of dollars in tools/jigs...then time is short to use all of them, and hoping tomtom don't bump my elbow while I'm working....ruining a stock.....so, 900 clams is a real good price!!

nice.............
marc n tomtom

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2015, 10:55:03 PM »
sure looks like the days of screwed up precarves is going to be over in the not so distant future.Going to take all the fun and adventure out of the build.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 10:58:57 PM by Joe S. »

Offline davebozell

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2015, 04:44:22 AM »
Jim, 

Do you have a stain/finish combination that you recommend to replicate the darker original rifle finish? 

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2015, 05:40:34 PM »
Jim, 

Do you have a stain/finish combination that you recommend to replicate the darker original rifle finish? 

I would definitely experiment a bit.  Here are a couple of thoughts...

You could use iron nitrate in conjunction with tannic acid.  This should result in a pretty dark color.

You could use a more aggressive acid.  I believe some of the commercially available stuff might fall in this category.

You could also tint the finish.  Bone black or lamp black would work.  Add to the finish and build up in layers. 

Darkening with some aniline dyes might help as well.

Probably a combination of some of these options will work best.

Good luck,
Jim

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2015, 07:08:19 PM »
Jim, dangit. I've just made a flurry of longrifle parts purchases, and then you spring this on us.

Wanna trade for a bunch of barely started projects?  ;D ;D

galudwig

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2015, 08:11:52 AM »
Simply beautiful Jim.  I know that this is probably #110 on the list of 100 things that you have in the works, but I hope that at some point you'll consider making the buttplate and trigger guard castings as well as the set triggers and breech plug available separately for those of us who still want to build our Whitson inspired rifles from a blank. ;) It would be nice to have an alternative to the commonly available southern style hardware as well as trigger set that doesn't need extensive modification to look right.  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 08:12:51 AM by galudwig »

timalso

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2015, 10:58:07 PM »
No left hand guns will be available at this point.

Thanks once again everyone!
Jim

Well, how about now? You have two requests at least.

Your beautiful kit will please anyone who purchases one. Thanks for creating them for  all to build.