Author Topic: Jim Kibler Kits - UPDATED photos and website  (Read 32736 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Jim Kibler Kits - UPDATED photos and website
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2015, 12:51:37 AM »
Simply beautiful Jim.  I know that this is probably #110 on the list of 100 things that you have in the works, but I hope that at some point you'll consider making the buttplate and trigger guard castings as well as the set triggers and breech plug available separately for those of us who still want to build our Whitson inspired rifles from a blank. ;) It would be nice to have an alternative to the commonly available southern style hardware as well as trigger set that doesn't need extensive modification to look right.  

At some point this year, you should be able to purchase the set triggers individually from Jim Chambers.  I don't think the tangs, buttplates or guard will be available individually for other stocking projects.  Sorry about that...

As to left handed guns, It's a tough thing to justify...  I'm sure you all understand.

Thanks again for such a nice response to this project.  I'm working hard on things. 

All the best,
Jim

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2015, 01:04:43 AM »
I have a background in Numerical Control machining. From the operator level through MDI programming, through fixture design and fabrication. I have long seen the potentials in NC that many can't understand. With this in mind I applaud your decision to use NC technology for your stocks.
Now about LH rifles. Could you not use the mirror image function in your control panel to easily develop a program for LH stocks once you get the RH worked out? I have done this many times with Aircraft structural components.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2015, 01:27:22 AM »
I have a background in Numerical Control machining. From the operator level through MDI programming, through fixture design and fabrication. I have long seen the potentials in NC that many can't understand. With this in mind I applaud your decision to use NC technology for your stocks.
Now about LH rifles. Could you not use the mirror image function in your control panel to easily develop a program for LH stocks once you get the RH worked out? I have done this many times with Aircraft structural components.

Yeah, it could be done.  My fixturing and processing would be effected a bit, but it could be worked out I'm sure.  One of the big issues is availability of a suitable left handed lock.  And then I would have to weigh the work involved in development to the payoff.  My gut tells me this will be hard to do.  You never know though, maybe someday...

Offline TDW

• AF&AM, DORIC LODGE #53, Past Master
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2015, 06:51:05 PM »
Jim,
    When you get the triggers finished, could you update the thread with a photo?..........and yes,.....I'm like a kid at Christmas !! ;)
Tom

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2015, 08:44:44 PM »
Jim,
    When you get the triggers finished, could you update the thread with a photo?..........and yes,.....I'm like a kid at Christmas !! ;)
Tom

Sure thing.  I'll try to give some periodic updates on things...

The last several days I've been working on figuring out packaging.  Not as easy task, but, it's all sorted out. 

Yesterday I picked up a big Oneida Cyclone dust collector.  Lots to do that's for sure!

Thanks again for the wonderful response.  I really am excited about things.

Jim

Offline Hillbilly Delux

• Starting Member
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2015, 01:01:39 AM »
Jim,
 Do you have plans, or would you consider an option that would include a percussion lock?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 01:03:01 AM by Hillbilly Delux »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2015, 01:16:46 AM »
I think I can answer your question, though I think Jim has already tried from another poster.

The lock he is inletting for is Chambers' Late Ketland flint lock.  At this time, Chambers do not make a percussion model of it.  So in order to make your rifle percussion ignition, you would have to convert it just as a smith would have in 1830...cut away the pan, leaving/or not, a remnant of the fence, take off the frizzen and spring, plug/or not, the holes for those parts, make a drum and install it in the barrel.  The plate would have to have a semi-circular cut out for the drum as well.  This is not a difficult job to do, but would require patience and a good idea of what the finished product should look like.  Then, a hammer added to the lock with the correct throw to align with the nipple.

I've ordered Jim's parts set for a young lady who want to build her own rifle...I know this next statement is heresy...maybe I can talk her out of the flint and into a percussion rifle?  I would be happy to document the above process if that is the case.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2015, 03:36:02 AM »
Jim,
 Do you have plans, or would you consider an option that would include a percussion lock?

I currently don't have plans for a percussion version.  I may move in this direction at some point, though.  I have some concerns about drums and as Taylor has suggested, locks are an issue as well. 

Thanks Taylor for the great description of how one would convert these to percussion.

All the best,
Jim

Offline Hillbilly Delux

• Starting Member
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2015, 04:13:18 AM »
Jim,
   Thank you for your response. I have been entertaining a SMR for some time and really like your kit.  I haven't the skill set to, nor would attempt to build other than the final effects.  I have a Tip Curtis Lancaster and enjoy it for its beauty, however wish for a SMR in percussion for regular duty.  I express my willingness for the first in the percussion if you decide to adventure in this direction.  In addition, the information from Mr. Sapergia, whom I have followed in his builds.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 04:31:54 AM by Hillbilly Delux »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2015, 04:55:54 AM »
Hillbilly,

Sent you a message.

Jim

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2015, 04:14:31 PM »
I think I can answer your question, though I think Jim has already tried from another poster.

The lock he is inletting for is Chambers' Late Ketland flint lock.  At this time, Chambers do not make a percussion model of it.  So in order to make your rifle percussion ignition, you would have to convert it just as a smith would have in 1830...cut away the pan, leaving/or not, a remnant of the fence, take off the frizzen and spring, plug/or not, the holes for those parts, make a drum and install it in the barrel.  The plate would have to have a semi-circular cut out for the drum as well.  This is not a difficult job to do, but would require patience and a good idea of what the finished product should look like.  Then, a hammer added to the lock with the correct throw to align with the nipple.

I've ordered Jim's parts set for a young lady who want to build her own rifle...I know this next statement is heresy...maybe I can talk her out of the flint and into a percussion rifle?  I would be happy to document the above process if that is the case.

I will wager $100US or Canadian that if she succeeds in getting this kit operational that after the first shot she won't consider making a cap buster out of it.I will also wager another $100 in either currency that she WILL get
the job done and she will have VERY competent advice.

Bob Roller

thimble rig

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2015, 01:34:13 AM »
Maybe jim could just omit the lock mortise on some productions runs and replace the flint lock with a percussion lock.then just inlet the lock on your own.I think jim is going to be a very busy man .

Offline Daryl

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2016, 03:08:06 AM »

Taylor just wants her to change to percussion, so he can be involved VERY CLOSELY help with the process. (dirty old man) ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2016, 03:39:27 AM »
I'm not old...I'm only 67, so far.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2016, 07:52:09 AM »
If you want to convert the late Ketland /chambers lock to persussion the large Siler percussion hammer works on this lock very well.  My current build is a Sheetz rifle that my client wanted converted to percussion.  I am using a Chambers late Ketland flintlock modified just as Taylor stated.
David