Author Topic: Some Recent Carving  (Read 13984 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Some Recent Carving
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2015, 12:17:56 AM »
In one or two pages, can you describe how you get your background so perfect?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2015, 12:43:11 AM »
Could you share a recipe as to amounts of ferric nitrate crystals to alcohol, etc.,or if that part a trade secret?  ;) Thanks again, Mike

Mike with Ferric Nitrate crystals I do either a 1:3 or 1:5 ratio FN to alcohol (or water). I do it 1:3 FN to alcohol by volume and sneak up on the staining with just one or maybe two coats, heating in between. Past 3 I don't see any improvement.

I'm sure Jim will get back with you on his "trade secret" mix.  ;)

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2015, 02:33:56 AM »
Thanks Dave. I would imagine that using alcohol would dry/evaporate quicker, but is there an advantage/disadvantage between the color of the stain? When it comes time for linseed oil I always cut the first coat 50/50 with turpentine so it sinks into the wood better. Is this the thought with using alcohol with the ferric nitrate? And after the first coat and heating do you "card" the stock? Steel wool, anything? Thanks, Mike

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2015, 04:26:51 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to explain the finish. I admire how clean it looks and makes the maple grain pop. Very nice indeed. I believe I'll have a bunch of practicing to do to duplicate it. Could you share a recipe as to amounts of ferric nitrate crystals to alcohol, etc.,or if that part a trade secret?  ;) Thanks again, Mike

Hey Mike.  I'm not sure the ratio of ferric nitrate to alcohol.  I just poured some alcohol in a container, added crystals and gave it a try on scrap wood.  I added some more ferric nitrate and then went with it. 

Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2015, 04:33:23 AM »
In one or two pages, can you describe how you get your background so perfect?

Hey Taylor.  When the gun is in hand, it's not as perfect as it seems here.  If you play it in the light you can see some facets from the chisel work.  Accessible areas were cleaned up with a file.  A trick Gary Brumfield shared was to take a three cornered file and snap the tip off.  This sharp edge can be used to clean up background relatively close to carving. 

Sometimes just a chisel cut background is nice, but this wood was pretty difficult to cut so I did a little more file work than usual.  Finally the background was lightly scraped with a chisel ground with a squared edge.

I'll share final pictures of the gun in a day or two. 

Thanks!
Jim

Offline PPatch

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 04:58:16 AM »
Thanks Dave. I would imagine that using alcohol would dry/evaporate quicker, but is there an advantage/disadvantage between the color of the stain? When it comes time for linseed oil I always cut the first coat 50/50 with turpentine so it sinks into the wood better. Is this the thought with using alcohol with the ferric nitrate? And after the first coat and heating do you "card" the stock? Steel wool, anything? Thanks, Mike

Yes, I use the alcohol simply because it dries faster and seems to mix with the crystals quicker, no other reasons and frankly I've never considered if one or the other penetrates deeper. Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to test that out and report back to the forum.  ;D

Also, that I am aware of here is no difference in color between alcohol or water. I see too that Jim has revealed his dark Ferric Nitrate art to the world "dump some crystals in and give it a go!"  :o

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2015, 05:09:38 AM »
One big advantage of alcohol is that the grain doesn't raise as much as with water. 

PPatch,  I fly by the seat of my pants a lot more than most would think...  Keeps things entertaining!

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2015, 06:01:02 AM »
Just as I thought, you've been talking to my father! He always said, "I could tell you but it'll stick better if you figure it out on you're own". A little trial and error. Like the time when I put the paper clip in the electric outlet. I do choose to accept this mission, hopefully it doesn't self destruct as forcefully as the paper clip.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2015, 08:36:59 AM »
I was fortunate to have attended one of his classes.  He clearly is "One with the Grain" and has the sharpest chisels and gouges on the planet.  The cuts I observed him making on background really required very little further work to my eye. His eye sight is clearly superior to mine because he pointed out detail which I couldn't see even with magnivisor. He is clearly driven by the love of the artistic aspects of the work which shows through in the carving especially. 

Offline cmac

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2015, 03:27:48 PM »
Amazing carving!!!!

pushboater

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2015, 08:09:57 PM »
Beautiful work Jim. Love your work!

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2015, 04:02:06 AM »
Jim,
Fine work indeed! I really like the way the overlapping carving on the patch box lid flows into the forward portion of the lid.
Regards, Richard

Offline Hillbilly Delux

• Starting Member
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2015, 04:59:12 AM »
Simply incredible... Jim

Offline fm tim

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
I once asked the late Don Getz who he thought was the best carver, and with no hesitation he said Jim Kibler.

Jeff Peters

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2015, 10:19:40 PM »
That's just pretty
Nice job

Jeff