Author Topic: George Nunnamacher Rifle  (Read 3692 times)

Offline Niall Sadler

• Starting Member
George Nunnamacher Rifle
« on: November 02, 2015, 07:31:52 PM »
Here are the pictures I took of the George Nunnamacher rifle I completed this spring for my Grandson. I have been tardy taking pictures of it so haven't been able to post it till now. It is the second one I have made and is a little different than the first. It combines the carving of the only two of his rifles I have seen in my books and videos. It has a .50 cal Rice Isaac Haines swamped barrel and Chambers Classic Ketland lock.  The wood was supplied by Harrison Stocks. I hope you enjoy the the pictures.

My latest endeavor is a Frederick Sell rifle and I hope to finish it before spring.

Take care. Cheers Niall

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 01:58:45 AM by Niall Sadler »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: George Nunnamacher Rilfe
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 07:40:13 PM »
Very nicely done Niall!  I'm so happy to see you're still at it.  I always like seeing your work, especially in person.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smylee grouch

Re: George Nunnamacher Rilfe
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 12:10:40 AM »
I agree too. Very handsome rifle.

Offline wattlebuster

Re: George Nunnamacher Rifle
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 02:43:40 AM »
Very very nice. Excellent carving
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Willbarq

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 05:00:31 AM »
Sweet!

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 03:17:33 PM »
Extraordinary!
Gene

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 02:28:47 AM »
Excellant work, thanks for sharing. I love the stock color, what stain did you use?
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Niall Sadler

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 06:33:20 PM »
I use a traditional nitric acid stain I make myself. 1 part Nitric Acid and 4 parts water. Then I add pieces of steel wool until no more will dissolve. I strain it in cheese cloth.  Remember to add the acid to the water.  I also always do it on a warm day outside down wind so I can avoid the deadly toxic fumes. I always make it in a Pyrex measuring cup so acid won't dissolve the dish and the heat generated does not crack the glass. 

I put on the stain after waiting a day or so and let it dry for a while (usually a couple of hours).  After that, I use a paint stripping gun on high heat to neutralize it. After all the stain turns colour, I wash it down with baking soda to ensure that it is completely neutralized.

Because the stain raises the grain I then lightly steel wool it before I apply the sealing coat.  Cheers Niall