Author Topic: Info on P.L.Hane  (Read 4076 times)

D. Bowman

Info on P.L.Hane
« on: March 14, 2009, 05:11:32 PM »
I am looking for info on a rifle it is full stock maple artificial striped ,percussion, 38in. straight barrel 40 ish cal rifled, dbbl set triggers. cast brass cap box. The barrel is stamped P.L.Hane on the under side at the breech. The gun was found in Lebanon county Pa. but I found a wadded up piece of paper in the cap box that said it was purchased from an antique shop in Luray Va. in 1952. I have pictures of Lehman rifles with the same cap box and stock architecture.

Will try to post pictures later with help caus I'm computerly challenged.

Duane Bowman

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Info on P.L.Hane
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 01:56:38 AM »
No mention of your guy in any of my books.
John
John Robbins

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 02:52:03 AM »
I did a quick census search for both Pennsylvania and Virginia. The only Hane who might fit is Peter Hane, who is listed as a blacksmith in Hazle Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, in the 1850 census. He was a single man, listed as 22 years old, born in Germany. A Peter Hane (most likely the same man) is subsequently listed in the 1860 census in Banks Township, Carbon County, Pennsylvania, Post Office - Saylorsville. He is listed again as a blacksmith, but his age is given as 30, born in Prussia. In the 1860 listing he has a wife and children.

billd

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 04:03:04 AM »
Forgive my ignorance and also hijacking this thread.....but how do you census search?

Bill

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 04:27:14 AM »
I subscribe to Ancestry.com.  By typing in a name and some other search criteria, you can do an online search of the U S Census from 1790 to 1930. Most people subscribe to it to do their own genealogy, I subscribe to it to research early gunsmiths. The census lists occupations beginning in 1850. This has proven to be a very useful tool for me.

jwh1947

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 06:17:54 AM »
Curt J has it right.  First census 1790.  Matter of public record.  Ancestry.com makes it painless.  Here are other things to track down when researching a gunsmith.  Church records, court records, prothonotary's records, death records (estate inventories are often useful), orphan's court records, sheriff's records (writs occasionally surface),  city registers and advertisers, old newspapers, old letters. 

This is a day or two in the court house and a day or two around town for  either a professional researcher or a law clerk.  Often you hit serendipity...a surprise find when you aren't even looking for it...and this is one of the things that prompts geeks like me to make a lifetime out of investigating history and policy.   Concrete listings from such sources, with no subjective editorializing, are considered by me and like minded scholars to be "hard data."  And, regarding terminology, we never "prove" anything.  We offer supporting evidence/documentation for the hypothesis under consideration. 

You either need to learn how to persevere yourself or pay one of us to do it at a couple hundred bucks per diem.  When you break it down, we're cheap compared to lawyers and paramours.  It does not really take a lot of brains; rather, self discipline, goal focus, and anal-level organizational skills are more useful in such endeavors.  Sometimes brains actually get in the way because we start relying on notions instead of facts.  Newspapermen call it editorializing; evolutionary psychologists have been known to refer to it as existential bias.

Francis Bacon said it best, "Reason is a whore."  What he meant was to go out and examine inductively, then conclude, rather than try to use mental gymnastics to arrive at truth.  That's why we are so fussy about facts, terms and their definitions. 

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 06:46:15 AM »
I've worn out several automobiles driving to courthouses here in Illinois, mostly seeking probate records/estate files. When a gunsmith "died in the saddle", there is usually a detailed inventory of his tools and quite often a sale bill listing what each item brought and who bought it. Fascinating stuff!

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 10:44:19 PM »
Curt,
I subscribe to Ancestrycom as well, but how do you do a census search there?
I've been searching for a P.G. Lendlow off and on with no luck. His name is on a rifle I own, probably as an owner, not the maker. Maybe be from around Gilbert, PA. 1800/1850ish.
John
John Robbins