Author Topic: Using an old file for a frizzen resole.  (Read 7087 times)

BartSr

Using an old file for a frizzen resole.
« on: November 06, 2015, 06:03:49 AM »
Thanks to the old post by Hugh Toenjes (sp?) I was able to recover a beat up old ugly (you get the picture?) frizzen.  I had several old worn out H.F. files.  Breaking off a piece and grinding the flat side to fit the old frizzens face, they were sweated together with 3% silver content soft solder.  Hey, I'm an amateur on this forum.  It does spark great!  

Thanks for the forum search button, what a relief.

BartSr

Story here:
http://idezilla.blogspot.com/2015/11/frizzen-resole.html

Mods, if you would rather that I post the pictures here, holler please!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:26:12 PM by BartSr »

BartSr

Re: Using an old file for a frizzen resole.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 08:39:42 PM »
After shooting the resole, it was expedient to draw back the resole piece to straw. Now sparks much more.

Paul

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 10:02:48 PM »
If you are referring to Harbor Freight files than you might have a problem long term. Most of these import files from Asia are low carbon steel that has been casehardened. If that is what you used it will likely wear through the case in time, perhaps rather quickly depending on how much of the original case you removed during the process.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 11:42:30 PM »
I'm curious about when period gunsmiths decided to re-sole versus clean up and re-case harden. I am guessing if the frizzen was extremely worn and thin that re-soling would be the best choice. Keeping in mind they used the forge all the time and case hardening was routine for them.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 03:07:15 AM »
Rich,

I think it would depend on how worn the frizzen and if they had a piece of scrap steel laying about.   If It wasn't very worn,  I would re-caseharden myself.   I have done that on antique frizzens to get an old lock working again.    There is a limit to how much you can grind and re-case.   It is kinda like how much you can turn the rotors or drums on your car.    Eventually, you have to replace them.

BartSr

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 04:50:39 AM »
If you are referring to Harbor Freight files than you might have a problem long term. Most of these import files from Asia are low carbon steel that has been casehardened. If that is what you used it will likely wear through the case in time, perhaps rather quickly depending on how much of the original case you removed during the process.
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them.  ;D
First I ground about 1/8 inch from the face on one side of the file to match the frizzen curve (concave).  Sweated the pieces together.  Then ground the finished face about another 1/8 inch deep.  So a lot of the file faces are gone and the middle is left.

I'll be scrounging around for USA files to use.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:51:55 AM by BartSr »

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 05:18:12 AM »
Paul,

If you 'broke' off a piece, the file you used had to be hardened through and through. You wouldn't be able to snap a piece off a file that was case hardened mild steel.

John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

Offline bgf

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 03:11:16 AM »
Paul,

If you 'broke' off a piece, the file you used had to be hardened through and through. You wouldn't be able to snap a piece off a file that was case hardened mild steel.

John.

Absolutely right.  And it sounds like it was air hardening steel of some sort also, just like most every file.  I don't know when/where the case hardening rumour started, but I've never had a modern file made that way, regardless of origin.  Anyway, the case hardening would have been gone by the time he ground off the teeth!

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 01:57:59 AM »
Wayne Goddard mentions files that are casehardened in some of his books. We used to make knives from files in our university lab, but quit some years back when we started finding that some of the files students were bringing in wouldn't harden after they had been ground/forged.

As for case hardened steel not breaking, I can show you pieces of mild steel that I carburized that will snap readily after hardening, just depends how deep the case is which can pretty much penetrate clear through the piece given enough time and high enough temperatures. Given how deep a case that can be created I have always wondered why soling a frizzen was really necessary.

Paul,

John.

Absolutely right.  And it sounds like it was air hardening steel of some sort also, just like most every file.  I don't know when/where the case hardening rumour started, but I've never had a modern file made that way, regardless of origin.  Anyway, the case hardening would have been gone by the time he ground off the teeth!

BartSr

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 06:50:38 AM »
So, with all of this "collaborating" should I continue to use this kind of metal or get another piece (of what)?

Paul

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 06:56:21 AM »
Good tool steel like 1075 or 1080 (both of which are easy to heat treat with simple methods) is so cheap it really doesn't make much sense to risk playing with steel of unknown properties.

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 02:43:41 PM »
If re-facing the frizzen is the route you want to go a much easier material to use, that has surprisingly good results, is the metal banding material that comes from the lumber yard. It is obviously much easier to match to the shape of you frizzen, is easily brazed, and provides good spark for years.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 04:36:35 PM »
I've used a piece of old handsaw blade with good results. I bought one with a broken handle for near nothing at a flea market.  Have made numerous scrapers out of it also.       Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 07:40:50 PM »
As mentioned, the metal banding material is a lot easier to work with...don't have to do all that grinding.
The Pedersoli locks I've done had small sized frizzins, and the geometry was such that the banding is about the max . thickness that will fit without much grinding. 

BartSr

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 10:04:17 PM »
I've used a piece of old handsaw blade with good results. I bought one with a broken handle for near nothing at a flea market.  Have made numerous scrapers out of it also.       Bob
I have one that I was using for underhammer springs, thanks!

Paul

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 01:01:40 AM »
Unless recently changed, I think files are W2 water hardening steel.
South Carolina Lowcountry