Author Topic: What’s in the different volumes of Shumway’s Rifles of Colonial America?  (Read 6507 times)

MJRiggs

Howdy all!  I'm doing research prior to my first build.  I would it to be patterned after a rifle from just before or possibly during the Rev War period.  I'm leaning toward one of Jim Chamber's kits (either early Lancaster, or early York) but I'm having trouble picking which one just yet.

I'd like to find photos of a period rifle to use as a guide to help keep me on track for historically proper architecture, fittings, and decoration.  I know that Dr. Shumway’s two volume set is the recommended reference, but can someone tell me how the two volumes are laid out?  Are the Lancaster and York rifles both in one of the volumes, or will I have to get both volumes?  I know most of y'all will recommend I get both volumes, but cash is very tight for me right now.

Thanks,

Mike

JCurtiss

Hey Mike,

I've also struggled with the difference between the Lancaster and the York county rifles.  I purchased two books to help solve my conundrum:  The Kentucky Rifle by Dillin and Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle by Joe Kindig.  And I still can't discern any distinguishing characteristics between the two.  So, I selected the York kit from Chambers, based on the description that it was slightly smaller/slimmer than the Lancaster. But to be honest, I would have been just as happy with the Lancaster if it were chosen via a coin toss.

So if you can find a better evaluation, please let me know. In the meantime, I believe either will be a quality kit that represents the American Rifle very well. 

Best,

Jason

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Hi Mike,

Welcome to ALR.  Lancaster guns are covered in RCA Vol. 1 and York County guns are in Vol. 2.

I understand about the tight budget.  If I may suggest, check your local public library to see if they have the RCA books.  If not, ask them about the Inter-Library Loan program.  They will borrow the books for you, for free, or at worst a small fee, and you can decide which one to get.

As expensive as books are, I nearly always preview books I'm thinking of buying, just to be sure before I spend the money.

-Ron

Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Lancaster rifles are at the end of Volume 1.  York rifles are at the beginning of Volume 2.  But if you are considering the Chambers Early Lancaster to the Chambers York, the Early Lancaster is earlier in architecture, has greater width of buttplate and buttstock, etc.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:22:42 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline smylee grouch

Welcome Mike. You might want to also consider what you will br doing with your rifle, target,reenacting ,plinking, hunting big or small game. Both kits are great but one might be better for you for a particular type of shooting.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
 Have you looked through the Library?

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?action=collapse;c=5;sa=expand;sesc=ed728db460ac0c85c5d2130711b9e140#5

There are some guns there that may help you get ideas.

Tim C.

Offline FALout

If you buy one of the RCA books, you'll want the other eventually.  Yea, they are a lot of money, but the continued research you can do with them is never ending.  I'm always looking through mine to see the different styling cues of the old time builders.  Get the one you what now, and have someone special get the other one for you for Chrisrtmas.
Bob

Offline Pete G.

The RCA books should be a part of any builder's standard reference material. They are much more helpful than the Kindig book from a builder's standpoint because they have multiple views which show details that builders are interested in. You may also want to check out some of the books by James Whisker.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Books may be expensive, but they are a lot less expensive than parts for a rifle.    The books are an essential first purchase, then there are tools, and then parts.   The books are by far the cheapest.   You are going to spend at least a couple thousand dollars to build your first rifle, if you are starting from scratch.  Let that put the book expenditure in perspective.    Just consider that a single rasp costs $50 and an a gouge costs $40.   You will need a dozens of files, rasps, and chisels.    A lock costs $175.  A barrel costs $300.   A good stock blank costs $500.    The costs to get into this hobby are not unlike many others.  If you are not well off, this hobby will require sacrifice.  

Offline Don Stith

Mike
 What part of the world are you located? You will find many builders and collectors willing to share their books in a personal visit..
 Incidentally
 I do not recommend a $500 stock blank for your first attempt.  Probably not your 10th attempt either.

Offline heinz

If you are buying a Chambers kit you can get by with a limited tool kit. Best to talk to Jim Chambers himself for advice, and ask him about a book to use as a guide. He might recommend something like the Gunsmith of Greenville County. And use your public library.
Welcome to the addiction
kind regards, heinz

Offline moleeyes36

Mike,

The Intimate Look at The American Longrifle It's Art and Evolution by David Hanson has got to be one of the very best books for sharp, detailed, color photos of long rifles.  It's available here: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=22518.0  It's not cheap, but if you're going to check out the public library for the RCA Volumes, I suggest you check on this one also. 

Mole Eyes

Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Jerry V Lape

Something else to consider is the CDs available from the Kentucky Rifle Foundation.  You might find them on the CLA website I think.  Lot of full color photos with great detail if your chosen school is listed for a particular CD.

Offline moleeyes36

Something else to consider is the CDs available from the Kentucky Rifle Foundation.  You might find them on the CLA website I think.  Lot of full color photos with great detail if your chosen school is listed for a particular CD.

Yes, that's quite right.  I bought the CD on Southern Rifles and it is excellent; worth every penny.

Mole Eyes

Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

MJRiggs

Thank-you all for your quick and thoughtful replies.  You have all convinced me that to get a good start in this hobby, and to do my build(s) justice, I will be best off having both volumes in my library.

I did try an inter-library loan, but learned that none of the libraries in the tracking system were willing to loan out their copies.

The good news (for me any way) is that both volumes are available from Shumway Publishing at $60 each for their latest printing.  The on-line sources that I was looking at had the books at $150 each and up.  They must be selling the out of print first editions.  I ordered both volumes from the publisher.

I'm in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia.  Are there any local forum members around here?

Thanks again,

Mike    
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 08:20:11 AM by MJRiggs »

Offline Don Stith

I live near Roanoke  There are several who post here that are located near Richmond. An hour studying some originals is more beneficial than a week of looking at pictures. You need to make some friends.