Author Topic: style of stock for .58 Jim goodoien barrel (cant spell)  (Read 6774 times)

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
style of stock for .58 Jim goodoien barrel (cant spell)
« on: November 11, 2015, 03:20:17 AM »
Fellow members, I once read a thread here about a English style( I think) stock for the larger calibers that was recommended because it was preferred because of less felt recoil to say a Hawken style stock. I have a .58 caliber Jim Goodoien barrel that is 32 or 33 inches long that I would like to build into a rifle for my next build. Anyone recall that post or know what I am referring to? Or have any advice on stocks?

Thanks in advance,

topknot
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 03:23:50 AM by Topknot »
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Bob Roller

Re: style of stock for .58 Jim goodoien barrel (cant spell)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 04:37:14 AM »
Fellow members, I once read a thread here about a English style( I think) stock for the larger calibers that was recommended because it was preferred because of less felt recoil to say a Hawken style stock. I have a .58 caliber Jim Goodoien barrel that is 32 or 33 inches long that I would like to build into a rifle for my next build. Anyone recall that post or know what I am referring to? Or have any advice on stocks?

Thanks in advance,

topknot

I think Daryl published pictures of the type of rifle that short,big caliber barrel
should go into.
Next alternative is to make a Hawken with a shotgun butt plate like a friend of
mine did for his father. The father thought the crescent was an abomination
and I do too even if it is HC.

Bob Roller

Offline Keithbatt

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 05:23:23 AM »

Thanks in advance,

topknot

I think Daryl published pictures of the type of rifle that short,big caliber barrel
should go into.
Next alternative is to make a Hawken with a shotgun butt plate like a friend of
mine did for his father. The father thought the crescent was an abomination
and I do too even if it is HC.

Bob Roller

Perhaps Daryl will chime in, but Mr. Roller might be referring to the gun posted here:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=6736;sa=showPosts;start=675

rhbrink

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 02:03:40 PM »
Look at the English Stalking style of rifle they used a shotgun type butt plate that handles recoil better looks like a straighter stock too not as much drop but I have never felt that this actually helps the recoil. The wide shotgun type butt plate does though. I agree with Mr. Roller the deep crescent is terrible but I do use them on the few rifles that I have made. I have been known to lay them on an anvil and give them a good whack to straighten them out some.

RB

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 08:07:40 PM »
For a Cap lock, this style is nice shooting. The butt is a full 2" wide and the straight comb drops away from your face on recoil as it drives your shoulder down.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:08:37 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 09:35:55 PM »
.54 cal oct/rd. X 30" bbl. My take on an English gents stalking rifle. Flat BP, L&R  lock, maple stock. 7 1/2 lb.  ...You'll like the way it handles......Tom

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:37:59 PM by gunmaker »

greybeard

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 09:44:26 PM »
[

This is a half stock I made over 25 yrs ago with a shotgun style butt. A treat to shoot.
    Bob

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:49:08 AM by greybeard »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 11:25:58 PM »
This is a half stock I made over 25 yrs ago with a shotgun style butt. A treat to shoot.
    Bob
Bob,
That is a good looking gun.  I really like the pistol grip.  Nicely done.
David

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 12:26:03 AM »
have any advice on stocks?
Either of these will work, depending on if you want a straight or pistol grip stock.
They will do your wood fairly inexpensively too and to your specs.

http://longrifles-pr.com/englishshot.shtml

http://longrifles-pr.com/english.shtml
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 02:27:48 AM »
Thanks so much guys on the info. I hope to build me one after the new year comes in.  It  looks like I wont have a problem finding a suitable pre-carve stock for it.Many, many thanks gentlemen.

topknot

TIM COMPTON, SR.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 05:15:09 PM »

Bob

I have a 50 caliber straight grip version started if I can get a lock cobbled together it
will go faster then.On a caplock version with a bolster breech like Don Brown made and now being made
by Rod England <rtengland864@aol.com> the lock alone can cost over $300 if it's a decent copy of the Stanton 4 screw that is seen on these rifles.
The one I making is going to be a flintlock.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 05:26:40 PM »
For a Cap lock, this style is nice shooting. The butt is a full 2" wide and the straight comb drops away from your face on recoil as it drives your shoulder down.

A fine demonstration of a honest to God big bang moose gooser.
The 16 bore Greener double rifle I had would raise up like this in
recoil but it was NOT unpleasant to shoot.These rifles and similar types
brought the muzzle loader to its conclusion in general use and represented
some of the finest combination of components and craftsmanship ever seen.

Bob Roller

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 04:20:21 AM »
Thanks Bob for your input, and also thank you Daryl.
TIM COMPTON, SR.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 05:59:35 AM »
Pleasure is mine, Tim. Like Bob Roller said, not totally unpleasant to shoot, even with the moose loads.  The wide butt and overall shape along with the 9 1/2 pound weight handles recoil well. The bl. is 1 1/8" straight. I'd have preferred a 1 1/4" swamped to 1 1/16" I think. Another 1/2 pound would not have hurt at all. Maybe hurt less? LOL - just kidding, it doesn't hurt.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V