Author Topic: half stock  (Read 10282 times)

Offline little joe

half stock
« on: November 13, 2015, 05:38:45 AM »
 Got a couple pieces of maple long enough for half stocks. Question is were any Pa-Ky 1790-1820 made up as half stocks, flintlock and set triggers?

Willbarq

Re: half stock
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 09:15:36 AM »
Hawken?

Willbarq

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 09:27:28 AM »
From what I have been looking at, half stocks seem to use percussion. At least the vintage ones.

rhbrink

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 11:32:51 AM »
I have looked around a lot for some pictures and there were a few made very few. I would bet that more than a few long rifles had the fore stock broke at some point in time and turned into half stocks and of course these would have received very little interest to collectors so probably faded into the past and were turned into percussion rifles or even smooth bores. The English made some and there is a interesting English made half stock for the war of 1812 to be given to the leaders of the Eastern tribes to help persuade them to fight with the English there is a recreation of it on jwh-flintlocks.net it's worth looking at.

RB

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 03:29:29 PM »
Jacob Kunz made at least one, flinter,half stock, with a 48 inch barrel IIRC.

Turtle

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 03:37:53 PM »
 The original (not the fullstock they sold recently) Remington model 1816 was a halfstock flinter. This was a NY gun of course.I have a repo of it.
                                                                           Turtle

thimble rig

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 04:07:21 PM »
I would like to see that Kuntz rile that would be cool looking.You could always make a fantasy rifle.Rilfes don't always have to be hc.

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 04:36:17 PM »
New England half-stock flinters were common (if you're using PA-KY in the generic sense).
Best regards,
Dale

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 04:51:05 PM »
 I saw one once, the fore stock must have broken or something. It ended at the rear pipe, the two front pipes had been soldered to the barrel, they had thin spacers on them and you could see a couple of Dovetails that had been either filled or had or had the lug filed of. One of them was close to the muzzle, looked like the barrel had been cut back.
 You could build one that looked like a Barn/Cellar/Attic/Closet/Wall find.

Tim C.

Offline Captchee

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 04:51:59 PM »
 while a later piece , sugested date around 1840 . there is a exsample of a  rifle made by
Gustavus Erichson    thats a flintlock , 1/2 stock with a 43 inch barrel . but not really a PA/KY  type rifle

http://www.texasguntrade.com/texassportingrifles.htm

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 05:25:55 PM »
The Jacob Kunz rifle I spoke of is shown in George Shumway's book of his Longrifle articles that were published in Muzzle Blasts magazine for years. It was made in PHILDA and is discribed as a clasic Philadelphia rifle of the late flintlock era. It had a 43_ inch barrel instead of the 48 that I stated first. I have seen photos of a W. Higgens rifle that was a stunning half stock flinter also.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 10:50:57 PM »
What about the 1803 Harpers Ferry? If the military ( the most hide bound facet of American culture) accepted a half stock, so did the rest of the population.

Hungry Horse

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 12:38:27 AM »
Captchee those are some interesting rifles.That Erickson flinter is a nice rifle.

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 01:01:35 AM »
H.E. Leman rifles. Thousands of them, from late flintlock to early cartridge times.  Many half stocks.

Some in our library or otherwise posted.   

Lon

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 04:05:09 AM »
Last Jan. in the antique gun section there was a J. Lauck late Virginia halfstock flint. I believe 2 or 3 of
the members on this forum looked at it in Las Vegas and thought it might be an early restock,1850 or so.
a copy of that would be good.

Willbarq

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 05:20:58 AM »
New England half-stock flinters were common (if you're using PA-KY in the generic sense).

I'd like to see some pictures please. Could you direct me ?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 05:00:31 PM »

I'd like to see some pictures please. Could you direct me ?

From the Library:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=8209.msg77655#msg77655

Tim C.

greybeard

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2015, 01:44:13 AM »
[=

This is my interpitation of a stalking rifle ordered by a country gent around 1830-35 somewhere in the New England area and he did not want the new fangled percussion system with them wee caps to fool with on a frosty morning.
   I don't even know if I came close or not but I liked it enough that I kept it.
     Bob

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:57:45 AM by greybeard »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 05:52:41 AM »
Here is an old photograph of three fintlock rifles.

Top is a 6 bore (.91 t0 .92 cal.)
The other two are much smaller.  Bottom, as you can see, is a typical full stocked rifle. These were very close to .58 calibre. Best stock designs for a hunting rifle, bar none.
I think I need to hire Taylor to checker my 14 bore.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 08:30:53 AM »
Mortimer,Manton and Twigg. The Mortimer was rifled too fast but had a great stock profile as the other two did also. Great bear guns IMHO.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 08:06:55 PM »
Here is my current 42" bl., .45 in flint.  It used to be a full stock and was made by an older chap, named Al Brown. After many years of use, the forend had some major problems, which Taylor remedied by shortening the stock converting it to a 1/2 stock with curly maple underrib and using one wedge instead of a pin. I really like it and it still shoots plum centre. Incidentally, no re-finishing was required.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:10:31 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 09:04:31 PM »
I thought you might respond with that rifle Daryl.  That was a worthwhile 'make-over'.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 01:06:22 AM »
H.E. Leman rifles. Thousands of them, from late flintlock to early cartridge times.  Many half stocks.

Some in our library or otherwise posted.   

Lon

Lon, could you reference for me a Leman rifle, originally made as a halfstock that was originally flintlock?
Okieboy

Offline okieboy

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 01:19:54 AM »
 Little Joe, irregardless of the historical precedence of some New England rifles and the 1803 Harper's Ferry, the question is do you really want a halfstock flintlock gun? Unless you do, building two of them because you have some short pieces of maple on hand seems like a lot of work just to use some materials up. You could trade your maple to someone who doesn't mind building percussion rifles for a long piece of wood and build a rifle that you didn't have to search out historical precedents for.
 More plainly, life is too short (at the Age most of us are at :)) to build things other that what really excites us.
Okieboy