Author Topic: inletting with smoke  (Read 12829 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: inletting with smoke
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2015, 11:32:29 PM »
I use a candle.  I get the free standing big ones.  The one I am using right now has a pleasant vanilla scent to it.  It is difficult to soot a barrel with just a candle.  I too do not like unattended flames in my shop so I light it, soot up, then blow it out. 

Coryjoe

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 12:35:26 AM »
quess I can understand the worries about open flame.Was at Dixon's the other week and a fellow was in there buying some inletting black.He is taking a course in building long rifles and they have some type of rotating workstations?Apparently his stock was in a vice on one side and a lamp on the other side was lit and not sure how but the station was rotated.They smelled something burning, his stock was on fire,guess he's building a half stock now.Still not sure what went down but we all scratched our heads.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2015, 01:21:01 PM »
As to sooting a barrel with a candle.   The original builders were not likely to soot the whole barrel more than once, if then.   They only inlet the first and last few inches, as do I these days.   The rest is planed clear so that only the corners hit here and there. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2015, 03:11:57 PM »
Many original octagon barrel channels I have seen are round!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline b bogart

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2015, 07:48:27 PM »
Many original octagon barrel channels I have seen are round!

I'm working on an O/R channel right now and thourghly understand a rounded channel all the way along. What a PITA!

Offline crankshaft

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2015, 08:29:38 PM »

I didn't mention I am inletting a shotgun style buttplate  on a 1/2 stock target rifle with a DeHass barrel.  (Bad shoulder requires all the help it can get).

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2015, 12:09:17 AM »
I use a candle for small parts like butt plate etc.,. but blacking a 48 inch barrel over a candle is too hard. I buy lipstick at the dollar store. It is cheap and I apply with a little brush. A tube will do a couple barrels easy. Not PC but it is fun to mess with the cashiers when I buy it. It cleans up easy too. I only use the Prussian blue to spot metal like fitting breech plug or finding binding spots when tuning locks etc. I would end up with a blue stained stock if I used it on a barrel inlet. I'm too messy.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2015, 07:57:55 PM »

I didn't mention I am inletting a shotgun style buttplate  on a 1/2 stock target rifle with a DeHass barrel.  (Bad shoulder requires all the help it can get).
I have installed a shotgun style butt plate on two .45 cal. half stock rifles for two women shooters and they LOVE it--
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2015, 08:11:08 PM »
what do you use when you need to adjust an inlet that is already dark with oils and stain?

K

Galations 2:20

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2015, 09:20:05 PM »
what do you use when you need to adjust an inlet that is already dark with oils and stain?

K

clown makeup, or talcum powder, or flour?  Ideas not practices I have developed.

No, I don't know where to get clown makeup.  :P
Hold to the Wind

Thawk

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2015, 10:27:51 PM »

K

Bright red lipstick

Offline crankshaft

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2015, 08:30:24 PM »

FYI...Rechecking the video, the guy was getting the shotgun "back on face" and had a bunsen type burner going.  When smoking was needed, he  lit a stick from the burner and used the stick to smoke, then blew out the burning stick.  I usually go away form the work for a minute or so would feel more comfortable with a burner than leaving a candle burning.  .

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2015, 12:00:28 AM »
I use a brush and motor oil. If I use black of any sort, by the end of the day it is not completely clear which race I am. I can get that black stuff EVERYWHERE!
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana