Author Topic: Restoring antique caplock  (Read 1965 times)

Mike

Restoring antique caplock
« on: November 19, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
I have a Philadelphia caplock made about 1840.  It is a fine quality rifle, beautiful patchbox, much engraving that I would like some restoration work done.  This would include a new breechplug (barrel detaches from stock), 2 ramrod pipes, ramrod and browning the barrel.  I live in Canada and after checking with ATF I find that it can be brought to the U.S., no problem; however it would be easier to have the work done in Canada.  Could I get the name of any good restorer/builder who could do this job?  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Restoring antique caplock
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 10:15:39 PM »
Hi Mike,
I don't know if he does restoration work but one of the best builders in North America is Taylor Sapergia who lives in Prince George, BC.  He is a very active member on this forum.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 01:35:07 AM »
Dave: many thanks for the wonderful endorsement.  But I am trying (without much success) to get away from client work, in an effort to get to the dozen or so builds I have waiting for me...FOR ME!!

I would recommend Cody Tetachuck uup in northern Alberta.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 02:07:44 AM »
Mike, you probably know this kind of work is very expensive. It would take at least 80 hours or more to complete this job, If I read your post correctly. Hours times wages per hour ad up quickly. Hope you find a good man to do the job. I don't do this kind of work any more, just on old rifles I find, an do for myself to keep.