Author Topic: Escutions or inlays?  (Read 2622 times)

Offline Nordnecker

Escutions or inlays?
« on: November 22, 2015, 04:15:30 PM »
In our virtual library- North Carolina- Catawba school- unsigned rifle by Mbriggs.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=22016.0
At the entry pipe, you can make out 2 pins, one for the thimble, the other for the barrel lug (I assume). I think I can see 2 pins around the middle thimble. But at the muzzle end I can't tell. Surely, you wouldn't hide the front barrel pin behind a nailed on inlay, would you? So are these just decorative inlays and not escutions for barrel pins?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:10:08 PM by Ky-Flinter »
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline P.Bigham

Re: Escutions or inlays?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 06:09:28 PM »
 I think they are false wedges.
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 09:02:37 PM »
Surely, you wouldn't hide the front barrel pin behind a nailed on inlay
Maybe not on this particular gun, but yes it has been done.  Instead of a pin going thru the underlug, it is hooked.  The barrel is removed by sliding it forward and up.  I had one original that the pin was hidden inside a poured pewter nosecap.  It baffled me for a bit while trying to figure out how the barrel was held on.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 11:08:16 PM »
Hmmm. I have read about hooked under lugs, but I thought they were only applicable when using a straight sided barrel. 
FWIW- I've been planning on building a rifle similar to this one for a while. The Bbl I'm using is swamped. I'll do the best I can with the patchbox. It certainly won't be a bench copy, and I'm gonna use a triggerguard that is a little different, too. So any comments on this rifle are welcome. Just remember- I SEEN IT FIRST! ;)
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 11:17:30 PM »
Nordnecker,

You might send Michael Briggs an email or message,  He is a member here.  I image he would answer your questions about the rifle.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie