Author Topic: Where does inspiration come from?  (Read 9061 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Where does inspiration come from?
« on: November 24, 2015, 05:33:47 AM »
This post is just to describe what the process is for me in starting another rifle. I know it's not the same for everyone, so what's it like for you? How do you decide what you will build next? What inspires you?

It's been a while since I felt like building another gun. I didn't know if I was going to catch that bug again.

I am almost done with a gun I promised to put together for someone. Likely I won't live long enough to do that again. If I do, please shoot me. I think 'custom' work would just about kill me. All I need is another !@*%&@ job. Building a gun for me is pure selfish pleasure. It's not about money or making a living.

Anyway, I digress. I feel a utilitarian dark Dutchey/Germanic piece calling my name. I thought the muse went after some younger better looking gun builders and forgot about me. Well, here she is, scratching at my door again, grey haired, but a twinkle in her eye. Do not ignore inspiration when she comes knocking.

This will be something hauled out of the attic of a Mohawk valley home, harking back to a dark and bloody time along the river. Battle scarred and old, yet still handsome, strong, and long of barrel.

I can't build without a story, I can't build until I start to catch glimpses of the finished piece in my mind. So now it is approaching that this rifle gun is starting to call my name, telling me it's time to clean off the bench and make the wood fly.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: Where does inspiration come from?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 05:47:12 AM »
 I told you not to smoke that stuff.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 05:48:16 AM »
I can relate to all of that!

chubby

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 05:49:01 AM »
Hi Acer,I feel that i can only improve and become better on what i love doing. So when i finish one i am ready to start on my next one! I want to continue doing that when I retire so i can make each one better!! Chubby

thimble rig

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 06:02:14 AM »
being a new member.ive only built a couple of rifles and starting on my 3.Ill never make a living making nor would I want to.Its all nothing but pleasure to me to try to take a beautiful piece of wood,Removing little pieces of it at a time scraping it down smooth and shaping and moulding it into something that I can admire.Taking me back into time as are forefathers must have done things.Then taking to the woods and puling a bead on nice bushy tail and pulling the trigger.With the rifle you built,Smelling the smoke and filling youre game bag to take back home for supper.Thas what inspires me .

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 06:07:20 AM »
Hi Tom,
Perhaps jump into another century.  Why not build a fine wheellock?  Explore early Baroque and Mannerism. The crazy creatures for engraving and inlay, the intricate carving in bone and staghorn, sculpting the dog.  If you wanted to stick to flintlocks, I believe the apex of art associated with them happened during the late 17th century.  Bertrand Piraube, Andreas Dolep, Herman Bongarde, Hieronymous Borstorffer, shoot for the moon.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 06:27:24 AM »
 Build a Russian Tula. You need a challenge. Something you can't buy parts for.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 06:37:45 AM »
So most all of my inspiration comes from this forum and the beauty and gracefulness guys like you create. I've only seen and never had the privilege to handle a very few originals. I absolutely love to handle and shoot the ones I build. I've built exactly 20 longrifles and have almost that many on my list with pictures of each. Almost all the pictures come from here. Thanks for that. Bob

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 06:47:47 AM »
I know exactly what you mean. My last gun was inspired by the ones I saw on "Flintriflesmith"s site .{ I really really miss Gary !  :(    ]  which had an integral carved butt "plate"  and wood trigger guard, and ram rod pipes.
The butt is carved to suggest the presence of a metal plate etc. These guns , listed as Swiss/German in origin have a look that just intrigued me. The gun I built is in 20 bore, oct/round and handles like a dream. It was an absolute joy to design and build. Now I'm looking at some early Moravian rifles for this winter's project.
I'm sure you'll find something that calls out to you before too long.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 03:35:57 PM »
I just look at my list to see who/what is next. Only 3 1/2 more years of that then I'll only build what I want and put it out for sale to finance new "toys". How it'll find inspiration for that I don't know. Lately I've had inspiration from reading about and studying NC and TN rifles and Appalachia rifles in general. Also I have a real itch to continue my "Battle Veteran" series of New England fowling guns. I also want to build one of the english made KY rifles that were built for british allied riflemen in the Rev war. So many guns, so little time. Right now I have to stick to my list, only get to break away occasionally. :-[
I'm booked for a little better than 1 1/2 years right now. Orders for 16-20 more guns and I'm done working for other people.....My work may get weird after that. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 05:30:06 PM »
At this past year's ALR gathering at Boonesborough, Ian Pratt described his thought processes in designing
elements of a recent build he had with him. It was the most fascinating insight into the mind of a builder I have ever heard.
I only wish I had a recorder with me so I could remember it all  :(

All the best
Paul

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 06:35:33 PM »
I will get inspiration from books, actual rifles or maybe a particular attribute.  For instance I saw a picture of a pistol by Boutet that had a tapered round barrel with a raised sighting rib.  I eventually combined that with a stock profile by James Purdy to create a pair of Ky. target pistols.  Other things in the back of my wee brain are a jeager, a sideslapper, and a drilling. Made an underhammer last year.  Sometimes I'll build something just to see if I can ie. a double barrel flint shotgun.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 10:22:12 PM »
Alcohol and heavily smoked meats.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 10:26:30 PM »
Alcohol and heavily smoked meats.
There's your answer..... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 11:47:58 PM »
Big history nut, so I usually get the itch to build something from the time I've been reading. Intense study on natives, had to build my Type G. Right now, I've been reading about Hands Rifleman during the NY campaign in 1776. Looks like I might have to build a rifle that "could have been there". The combination of learning gunstocking and placing it into a historical context makes it a satisfying project.
Greg

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 12:23:50 AM »
Definitely links to history is one of my prerequisites. Artistry of my own must go into the project, or it's no fun.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline davebozell

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 04:10:47 AM »
Having just finished my first rifle, my inspiration is to keep learning.  My first rifle was a pre carve.  I made lots of mistakes, but slowly worked my way through most of them.  My next project will be a pistol from a blank.  After that, I hope to take on a Gillespie.  I must be doing okay, as my wife said "What kind of rifle will you build next?" after seeing the first one.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 04:34:33 AM »
   I am a little like Mike,  I have a list of guns waiting to get built,  I have promised myself that I will retire (again) when I reach # 300.  I am at # 286 now.  For entertainment and a challenge I do some restoration work in between builds.  If I need inspiration I haul out Dave Hansen's book and look for something that I haven't built that appeals to me.   Like Mike & Eric I have found single malt scotch helps with the inspiration...at least I would like to think that.  Too much seems to screw up the engraving though....
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Ric27

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 04:44:06 AM »
Well Acer, I think you are channeling some lusty ghost that has another life to live through you. You are speaking of actual inspiration. The kind that whispers just out of ear shot until things get quite just for a moment and you hear it. If you are fortunate enough to have the time and resources fulfill that inspiration then you are man living in grace.       

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 06:36:24 AM »
I've tried to slow down on taking new orders for the last few years, but am still behind.  Luckily, most of the folks that I build for give me enough liberty to keep me taking orders. I get inspiration from old work all the time. I also get a lot of inspiration from the fine work y'all share on this site. How could anyone with an interest in this kind of work not be inspired. Thank you y'all again.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline okieboy

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 06:57:41 AM »
"I can't build without a story"

I am like that also, but the story may not be about a particular gun, but a gun maker.
Okieboy

Offline retired fella

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 03:26:25 AM »
I have been reading these thoughts with extreme interest.  In my case anytime I am holding a lock or a barrel or even a butt plate or trigger guard I get inspired.  My wife calls it a degenerative mental disorder.

;)

Offline PPatch

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 06:00:18 AM »
"...can't build until I start to catch glimpses of the finished piece in my mind."

I find that happening also Acer. For me I believe need comes before inspiration in the sense that I, all my life, have needed to be doing or have an upcoming creative project to feel "right." I need to be thinking of the next thing, to see it in my minds eye, to cognate on it when I begin getting those glimpses. Actual inspiration might come from anywhere, often it blindsides me in a pleasant way, say perhaps two of those glimpses connect and a clarity comes rushing in. In the past when I was a working stiff coming up with a design or illustration was how I made my living and that meant there was pressure to create. Not so these days but I still need to be creating to feel like me.

At a base level it is simply that these old guns inspire me, challenge me, I like that, like having that in my life. The challenge is to make the next one better than the last one, to learn and to develop as a builder. The inspiration can be found, as always, lurking inside and all it needs is a spark such as seeing something outstanding, old or new, on this site or elsewhere to fire my imagination and get me sketching.

I currently have two wormy curly maple stocks and am thinking they would make fine early Virginia guns. I have a walnut blank that is long enough for a fowler... who knows, they might even become those if I'm not inspired to do something else with them.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2015, 03:03:42 PM »
My last one inspires my next one. What I mean is I want the next to be better than the last. I'm just a hack assembler but I enjoy it. Also, all the pictures posted on this site inspire. They really do.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 03:46:27 PM »
always wanted to build one and after years of being a spectator I decided to do so.The inspiration comes from putting it all together and knowing you did your best to make a nice rifle.The best inspiration to build one yourself comes from seeing what one of you guys would charge me to build one,just funnin but someday if I get some extra coin would like one built by one of you masters.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 04:00:08 PM by Joe S. »