Author Topic: any body heard of a W. Evanson?  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Dave B

any body heard of a W. Evanson?
« on: March 15, 2009, 09:12:22 AM »
I found a full stock longrifle that has W. Evanson stamped twice in the top flat of the barrel as cresent shapes joined to look like a foot ball. The rifle is of about .45 cal with a barrel of 43"and uses a back action lock. Does the name strike any chords for any one. I have not found the Makers name just yet as I looked through some of my books this evening.
Dave Blaisdell

jwh1947

Re: any body heard of a W. Evanson?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 10:12:02 PM »
Can you rule out that it is not "Everson"?  Back action locks would be relatively late.  There was a Washington Everson in Logan, IN, c.1860 as well as a William Everson in Dayton, OH, unknown time period, but late.  Source:  Sellers' American Gunsmiths (a rather reliable compendium) now available again in reprint.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 02:32:16 AM »
I would be surprised if the name is not "Everson". I had the chance to examine a fullstock rifle that was being carried through the commercial row at Friendship, which was stamped exactly as you have described. That one was definitely "Everson". That rifle had been handed down through a family in Indiana and they believed it had been made there. Since Dearborn County is very close to Friendship, Washington Everson seems likely.

The 1850 census lists Washington Everson as a gunsmith in Logan, Dearborn County Indiana. He was 49 years old, born in Pennsylvania. His wife Susan, was 45, also born in Pennsylvania. His 22 year old son John, was born in Kentucky. Five other children, Andrew, age 20; William, age 17; Sarah, age 12; Mary, age 10; and Annie, age 4, were born in Indiana. Washington Everson owned real estate valued at $500; personal estate at $250.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 03:06:49 AM »
The stamp is very small and it could well be Everson. I will get it under some magnification to be sure. You guys are right it is Everson. It has great achitecture

That little oval shape is the stamp with his name its only about a half inch long.

The muzzle cap is held in place by two copper rivets on the oblique flats.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 03:48:57 AM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 04:33:17 AM »
Your rifle is very similar to the one I examined at Friendship. That one was in pristine condition, looked like it had spent its entire life in a closet. It was a family heirloom and was not for sale. Your's looks very sound. With a little TLC it should look real nice!

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 04:58:20 AM »
The great lines on your rifle are influenced by his Kentucky period. The clean butt lines, long two screw tang, and typical Louisville type trigger guard all show Kentucky inlfuences. The guard is a copy of those used by Moses Dickson. Washington Everson worked as a gunsmith in Louisville, Kentucky for at least the years 1838 and 1839. He was employed by well-known Louisville gunsmith Moses Dickson, who was located at 38 Third Street between Main and Market Streets. The back action lock came into use rather early in Kentucky, probably by the mid-1830s, and particularly along the Ohio River.

Everson was born in Pennsylvania in 1811, and probably completed his apprenticeship training around 1832. He probably moved to Kentucky soon after that date. He later moved to Indiana about 1840 where he continued working as a gunsmith. He raised a family of six children in Indiana with wife Susan. His oldest son John was 22 years old and born in Kentucky, verifying Everson was working there in 1838, and probably for some time before. In 1870 he was still working as a gunsmith in Dearborn County, Indiana.

Would it be possible to get additional photos of your rifle for my Kentucky work? I do not have pictures of an Everson rifle. If so, could they possibly taken against a smooth white, or solid light color? Thanks,  Shelby Gallien

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 05:13:48 AM »
Guy's,
Thanks for the great information on this gun smith. Shelby, I will see what I can do for you with regard to some pic's with a light back ground. I will try to E-mail them to you once I have them done.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 06:10:04 AM »
Here is a picture of the makers stamp scrubbed to be seen... sort of.

Dave Blaisdell