Author Topic: Drilling and Tapping my First Touch Hole Liner  (Read 5969 times)

JCurtiss

Drilling and Tapping my First Touch Hole Liner
« on: November 28, 2015, 04:04:55 AM »
Tonight I drilled the pilot hole for my touch hole liner. I have to get the proper size tap drill tomorrow in order to finish the job. After threading, I should have 0.053" between the OD of the 1/4" touch hole liner and the end of the barrel plug.   

Does this sound like a reasonable distance?   

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Drilling and Tapping my First Touch Hole Liner
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 04:38:39 AM »
It's not bad for a 1/4" liner.   I usually install a 5/16" or 3/8" White Lightning liner and allow 1/32" between them and the breech plug face/edge of the bore.   More importantly, does it work with your lock?   Normally, I just worry about the gap I have to fill between the breech and the rear of the pan fence.   With a small liner, I would at least make sure the fence will end up in FRONT of the breech.   Probably not a problem, but some early English locks do have wide pans.   

JCurtiss

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 05:05:20 AM »
Mark, thanks for your comment.

The touch hole is centered with the center of the dished portion of the pan on my lock. But I don't know where the fence is relative to the plug face.  I'll check tomorrow and report back.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 05:16:22 AM »
You want to know the location of the fence relative to the breech of the barrel, not the  plug face.   Ideally,  the rear of the fence should line up with the breech of the barrel, but it rarely does.   Usually, there is a gap between the breech and the rear of the fence.   Sometime wood is left in the gap, sometimes not.  
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 05:17:00 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 06:29:48 AM »
JCurtis,

At .053" between the plug face and the OD of the liner, you should be in good shape. 

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline BJH

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 11:18:07 PM »
While you are at the pilot drill stage, if your liner has a counter sink lip such as a chambers white lightning I find it's best to countersink the pilot hole to the finish diameter now. Your tap drill will center in the funnel of the countersink nicely. Also I normally have much less chatter problems with the counter sinks using this order of operations. BJH
BJH

JCurtiss

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 12:31:32 AM »
Great idea about counter-sinking immediately after drilling the pilot hole; I wish you had posted that suggestion earlier.  Instead I counter-sinked after tapping and it ended up off center, darn!

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 01:10:28 AM »
While you are at the pilot drill stage, if your liner has a counter sink lip such as a chambers white lightning I find it's best to countersink the pilot hole to the finish diameter now. Your tap drill will center in the funnel of the countersink nicely. Also I normally have much less chatter problems with the counter sinks using this order of operations. BJH

BJH,

Excellent tip I will definitely try time I install a White Lightning liner.  Thanks.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline BJH

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 04:13:54 AM »
One other benefit, you can fudge a slightly miss drilled pilot hole with the countersink and a small chisel mark. Do this by nicking the side you want to drift the hole towards. Unless the pilot hole is really bad the countersink will funnel the drill bit where you want it to go. BJH
BJH

Offline flehto

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 06:28:11 PM »
Drilling and tapping a hole in steel isn't very complicated. The center punch has to be exactly located at the intersection of the layout lines and to facilitate this I use a sharp pointed center punch that is moved down the first  scribed line  until it "falls" into the cross line. A tap w/ the hammer and the "dimple" is centered.

A small drill w/ a dia that's larger than the web of the tap drill is run through. The reason for the small drill is that it's flexible and will move over if the spindle is slightly off....it is then aligned.  Some use a center drill which doesn't flex and is used for workpieces that are clamped in machines like the milling machine . A hole can be mislocated w/ a center drill, especially  when drilling  in wood.

Proper spindle speeds are also necessary ...many drill presses don't have high enough spindle speeds or the operator  isn't knowledgeable as to drilling spindle speeds.

After the tap drill, a ctsk is used and then I chuck the lubed tap in the spindle, center it in the hole and bring up, turn the spindle on and then off and while it's "coasting" it's engaged into the hole and after a few threads are cut it stops and the tap is unchucked and the remainder of the  hole is tapped by hand w/ the bbl clamped in a bench vise. Some might prefer to use a tap wrench located by the spindle and turned by hand.

After the hole is tapped w/o a ctsk for a White Lightning, , a ctsk is then  used for the angled flange seal...going deeper w/ the ctsk yields a longer TH land and  a shallower ctsk results in a shorter TH land.  The ctsk depth is very important because if not deep enough, the TH land could be very short and might end up being a "feather edge" which would blow out.

After drilling tens of thousands of holes as a tool and diemaker,  the above procedure was proven to be an accurate way to locate and drill holes in steel.....Fred

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 01:15:35 AM by flehto »

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 12:44:52 AM »
What is a ctsk???

Best regards
ROlf

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 01:22:28 AM »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jack Baier

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 03:51:36 AM »
if you power tap with the machine make sure it's a 2 flute or spiral tap so it pushes the chips forward.if you only have a 4 flute chuck up on location but turn your chuck by hand and back off to break the chips.

JCurtiss

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 04:11:53 AM »
if you power tap with the machine make sure it's a 2 flute or spiral tap so it pushes the chips forward.if you only have a 4 flute chuck up on location but turn your chuck by hand and back off to break the chips.

Good point.

I have a 4-flute tap and chuck it up in my drill press, but I turn the chuck by hand.

Offline flehto

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 07:42:44 AM »
I mainly only use 2 flute taps so overlooked specifying them.  When in the toolroom, our drillpresses had a reverse button, so all tapped holes were tapped under full power. If the tapped hole was blind, then a tapping chuck was used. .....Fred