Author Topic: Sunday Go To Meeting bag and other accoutrements  (Read 8032 times)

Offline mab7

Sunday Go To Meeting bag and other accoutrements
« on: November 03, 2015, 02:28:44 AM »
Made this bag and assortment of goodies to go with a new fowler I am picking up this weekend. I normally prefer leather straps, but when I saw this strap being offered by Kentuck917's wife, it just seemed to really fit. Bag is oil tanned and sewn with artificial sinew because that is what I had. It measures roughly 6" x 9" with a 2" gusset. Ball bags are veg tanned 6 oz cowhide stitched with hemp, dyed medium brown, sealed with 50/50 mix of beeswax and Neatsfoot oil with walnut stoppers. One holds 12 - 80 grain charges of #6 shot and the one with the walnut collar holds 15 .600 round balls. They measure roughly 2 3/4" x 4 1/2". Brush and pick are set in whitetail antler. Pick is hand forged and brush bristles are horsehair. My kids started calling it my Sunday Go To Meeting setup and it stuck...

oldfireguy

Re: Sunday Go To Meeting bag and other accoutrements
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 02:46:48 AM »
Beautiful set.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 02:28:06 AM »
Really well done and appears really functional! All you need is a shot snake to go with it!
J.B.

Kentucky Colonel

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 08:04:01 AM »
I really like this. I think you were right about not using the leather for the strap.

Can you give us a better pic of how you joined the scabbard to the side?
I really like what you have done.

How long did it take you?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:14:44 AM by Kentucky Colonel »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 11:43:29 PM »
 I've got one like that, that a friend made for me about thirty years ago. Its about twice as big as you need. I found my shooting periodically would go south, and correlated it to how much extra junk I had accumulated in my shooting bag. The only cure was a smaller bag, because if you have the room, you will use it. I now call it my pilgrim bag, and loan it out to newbies. I love the looks of mine I just don't carry it.

Hungry Horse

Offline mab7

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 07:26:30 AM »
I really like this. I think you were right about not using the leather for the strap.

When you say the scabbard, are you referring to the knife sheath?

Offline mab7

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 07:31:15 AM »
I've got one like that, that a friend made for me about thirty years ago. Its about twice as big as you need. I found my shooting periodically would go south, and correlated it to how much extra junk I had accumulated in my shooting bag. The only cure was a smaller bag, because if you have the room, you will use it. I now call it my pilgrim bag, and loan it out to newbies. I love the looks of mine I just don't carry it.

Hungry Horse

I used the bag twice and have already started it's replacement. Much lighter and less capable of holding so much stuff! I had an elk hide just begging to become something more useful so who am I to deny its wishes!

Fred Hembree

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 08:32:30 AM »
Very nice bag!

Kentucky Colonel

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 02:20:01 AM »

When you say the scabbard, are you referring to the knife sheath?

Yes. I am. Sorry about the word fumble.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:21:25 AM by Kentucky Colonel »

Offline mab7

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 02:15:44 AM »
I used the excess material from the strap to make a loop and attached that to the sheath I made for it.
Here are a couple more pictures of it: