Author Topic: Musket help?  (Read 13364 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Musket help?
« on: December 03, 2015, 04:34:24 AM »
Does anyone recognize the markings and architecture of this british musket?  Help appreciated.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline debnal

Re: Musket help?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 04:51:08 AM »
What makes you think it is English? More pictures would be helpful.
Al

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 05:24:57 AM »
 No other photos are available   I thought the top photo was showing a crown over GR Mark for Georgis Rex ie King George the third
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 05:26:36 AM »
I also thought the buttplate markings represented second Regiment Great Britain

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 06:10:58 AM »
Whatever that it, it isn't a Georgian cypher. The same is true for the other marking. It is nothing like like a British regimental mark — nor does the musket look at all British.

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 06:15:13 AM »
Possibly made for the Tourist Trade in the Middle East.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Offline debnal

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 06:24:00 AM »
It looks like it might be the type of markings I have seen on German/dutch muskets of the 18th century. The sideplate and triggerguard pictures could help nail it down.
Al

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 02:43:13 PM »
Probably has some connection with the East India Co.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 03:12:10 PM »
The family says it has a history of use in the war of 1812. I was hoping it was more immediately recognizable. Thanks for your help.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 05:15:17 PM »
I think its completely legitimate, just not British. Though I can't see it very well, I may even have one of those trigger guards in my
junk" box from a wrecked musket I bought when I was in high school. Does it have a huge bore? My musket must have been .100 caliber.

That said, there is good reason to believe that large quantities of surplus foreign muskets were imported before the War of 1812. In fact, Congress remitted import duties on small arms yearly for a number of years to encourage their importation. The shortage of usable arms was critical and, with the new milita acts requiring everyone to be armed, there was a huge demand for cheap muskets. So... the War of 1812 part of the story does hang together. I think the gun itself is likely to be somewhat older — old enough to have been surplussed off after 1800 which suggests 1750–1770 and probably Dutch (in a very wide sense) or made in the low countries for one of the many minor German states.

Offline debnal

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 08:01:25 PM »
There is something about the poor pictures that MIGHT indicate that it could be German/Dutch parts that were fabricated into a musket here in the colonies. The architecture just doesn't look robust enough for a German/Dutch gun.
Better pictures sure could clear this all up.
Al

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 02:16:42 AM »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 02:44:38 AM »
Whatever it is I just bought it

Offline debnal

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 06:46:43 AM »
Thanks for the additional pictures. The sideplate and triggerguard are Dutch styles. I still think it may be a colonial American restock.
Al

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 07:01:54 PM »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 07:04:02 PM »
Al,  Is it the type of wood that leads you to think restock?  Looks like maple.

Offline debnal

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 08:14:49 PM »
I think the overall architecture, especially at the butt, leads me to that supposition. A maple stock would strengthen that thesis for me.
Al

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 09:28:02 PM »
I hope that's what it is it would be neat to have a piece of history thanks for your input. I'm hoping to touch base with the family and get the rest of the provenance documented

Offline debnal

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 11:54:39 PM »
Schreckmeister,
The irony is, that if it was a totally German made gun and imported to the colonies, it would be worth more than if it were a colonial American re-stock. I think it is a whole lot more interesting, and historic, as an American made gun. As an American collector I would prefer and American made gun versus a European made one any time. But, that's just me.
Al

Offline debnal

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 11:59:11 PM »
In my previous post on this board, "Markings on an American Bess type musket", the same irony applies.
Al

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 04:49:41 AM »
About the stock:

I'm 90+% sure that it is Walnut, but American or English is questionable. (I think American Black Walnut). I base this
on the first photo only. The storied ray cells-those little longish black streaks-are typically ABW, and are not seen on Maple. More photos of the stock with a couple of close-ups would be necessary to be more accurate.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 05:37:56 AM »
It doesn't look anything like the walnut I'm familiar with

Offline debnal

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 06:37:11 AM »
All you need to do is post some good pictures and we may be able to clear this up quickly.
Al

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 04:44:16 PM »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 04:49:56 PM »
Ramrod marks