Author Topic: Musket help?  (Read 13366 times)

Offline debnal

Re: Musket help?
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2015, 07:53:18 PM »
Schreckmeister,
I possibly have some news for you. I received an email from a friend who told me to look at musket M.43 on page 82 of George Newman's first book on Rev War weapons. That musket is also marked 2RT GB on the butt tang. The architecture looks just like yours. It is identified as a German-Dutch musket possibly supplied to German Units fighting for England. The sideplate and triggerguard are very similar. Don't know if this solves the issue but it sure helps.
Al

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2015, 08:09:09 PM »
Thank you for sharing that.  It gives me some direction to start looking for more information
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2015, 02:41:05 AM »
Germans and the Dutch were the only ones I ever saw mark their rammers.  I'd say German for sure

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2015, 07:23:59 PM »
Schreckmeister,
I possibly have some news for you. I received an email from a friend who told me to look at musket M.43 on page 82 of George Newman's first book on Rev War weapons. That musket is also marked 2RT GB on the butt tang. The architecture looks just like yours. It is identified as a German-Dutch musket possibly supplied to German Units fighting for England. The sideplate and triggerguard are very similar. Don't know if this solves the issue but it sure helps.
Al
Al,  The barrel length, trigger guard, buttplate and lock dimensions and markings are identical to the description in the Neumann book with exception that the overall length is about 1/2 short.  I think you found it's twin brother.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline debnal

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2015, 10:37:06 PM »
Evey once in awhile even a blind squirrel finds an acorn.
Al

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2015, 11:40:47 PM »
Half an inch is meaningless in the context of the mid-18th century.