Author Topic: Info on mid-1800's Ohio rifle builder Riley Haskell  (Read 4917 times)

Pinecone

Info on mid-1800's Ohio rifle builder Riley Haskell
« on: March 20, 2009, 06:10:31 PM »
I have acquired a Riley Haskell rifle and plan to restore it.  Does anyone have any info on Riley Haskell rifles or pics of an original Riley Haskell rifle?

Thanks!

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Info on mid-1800's Ohio rifle builder Riley Haskell
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 04:33:12 AM »
Pinecone,
Riley Haskell, Lake County, Painesville Ohio 1827-1882. Haskell was born in New York and produced rifles, telescopic sights and fishing lures. Three of his fishing lures sold for between $9,000 and $20,000. I don't have any pictures of Haskell rifles but depending on what you have it may very well be worth restoring. If you can send any pictures of your rifle I would appreciate it.
Mark
Mark

GrampaJack

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 05:13:48 PM »
If you are located near Ohio the Log Cabin Shoppe in Lodi has a couple of Haskell rifles you could look at. I too would love to see some pictures. Jack

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 07:50:04 PM »
Jack,
Good to see your name come up. Haven't spoken in a while, hope all is well.
Mark
Mark

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 09:55:04 PM »
I once owned a Riley Haskell rifle. Mine was very well made and styled like an English sporting rifle of the period. I'm told that his fishing lures were stamped with the same small one-piece stamp that he used on his rifles. Haskell is credited with making the world's first articulated fishing lures. My rifle was stamped RILEY HASKELL PAINESVILLE O. I'm not sure whether I have any photos. That was too long ago to have been done with a digital camera.

Pinecone

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 02:27:25 AM »
Mark,

I'll try to take some pics when I have some time.  Right now I am dealing with the flooding in ND and only have a few minutes to spare between projects!

CurtJ,
My rifle has the same engraving as yours.  In addition, there is some scroll work on top of the barrel that says 1841 along with a floral design.

Apparently, the owner who had the gun many years ago had a gunsmith do some work on the rifle and his name is stamped on the lock plate...Chas. E. Harbert.  I am not impressed with the way he installed the rear sight...dovetailed into the barrel and over the scroll work.  There are some other features which I find equally objectionable...but such is life.  The restoration of anything is sometimes as much about correcting the non-historic as it is about refurbishing the original.  Thus, I plan to wait until I can see a photo of a Haskell before doing anything to this rifle.  Afterall, there really is no rush.

Thanks for the info so far.  Please keep it coming if new information emerges!

Claudia

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 02:01:33 PM »
Claudia, If I can find any pictures, I'll scan them and send them to you. I will need an e-mail address of course.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 02:02:51 PM by Curt J »

Pinecone

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 10:32:13 PM »
Thanks, Curt.  My email is ArtemisCE@aol.com.