Author Topic: engraving question  (Read 5768 times)

Ric27

engraving question
« on: December 11, 2015, 06:30:42 PM »
I am at the point where it is getting time to think about engraving the patch box. In the past I have done this work with the box mounted on the rifle. I am thinking that I might try to engrave this one on the bench before installing. I have notice on posts here where the part being engraved is mounted in so sort of form-fitting goop that hardens to shape and holds the part and is removed I assume by heating. What is this stuff and where can I get some and how do I use it? Please!!
Ric

ricktull

Re: engraving question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 06:36:09 PM »
The stuff used is called Bondo. After it's finished they heat it with a torch. I just rasp a pine board down to stock profile and mount it on there

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 06:49:21 PM »
Any auto parts store will have Bondo. Use ventilation.
Andover, Vermont

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 06:53:22 PM »
GRS Tools sells some stuff call Thermo-Loc that works pretty good.  http://www.grstools.com/workholding/thermo-loc/003-667.html 

I have also used a hot glue gun, when finished, used alcohol to break the hot glue loose.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 07:24:12 PM »
GRS Tools sells some stuff call Thermo-Loc that works pretty good.  http://www.grstools.com/workholding/thermo-loc/003-667.html 

I have also used a hot glue gun, when finished, used alcohol to break the hot glue loose.
The nice thing about Thermo-Loc is that it is reusable and does not have the odor of Bondo.  It is like $20.00 for a half lb. but is very economical if you are going to use it multiple times.
David

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 08:03:27 PM »
 If you use Bondo or body filler be sure to spray the part with a light coat of WD40 beforehand.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

DFHicks

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 08:33:36 PM »
Does anyone is 5 minute epoxy for this? If so advantages/ disadvantages?
Greg

Ric27

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 08:40:40 PM »
Thank you all so much for the information.  8)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 08:43:52 PM »
The smell of Bondo is 1/2 the reason you use it. Keep all the windows closed and enjoy!~
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 08:50:12 PM »
The smell of Bondo is 1/2 the reason you use it. Keep all the windows closed and enjoy!~
Obviously some people have never had the experience of doing body work on a car and blowing out Bondo boogers at the end of the day, or experienced the next day hangover from spraying lacquer in a closed garage.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 09:34:24 PM »
You can also make a wooden block, slather it with hot melt glue, set the box into it. Engrave. Then warm the box with a torch until it starts to slide. Remove excess glue with paper towel, and wipe metal clean with denatured alcohol.

The block can be re-used. Just warm your patchbox, and warm the glue on the block with a torch, set the box back into it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 09:35:28 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 09:38:37 PM »
You can also make a wooden block, slather it with hot melt glue, set the box into it. Engrave. Then warm the box with a torch until it starts to slide. Remove excess glue with paper towel, and wipe metal clean with denatured alcohol.

The block can be re-used. Just warm your patchbox, and warm the glue on the block with a torch, set the box back into it.
Such a heart warming post.
David

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 09:43:02 PM »
More like a hot topic. What are the main disadvantages to engraving on the gun?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 09:59:42 PM »
I cut a block of wood (2x4 usually) to fit the part and epoxy the part to it.   I have a couple blocks that are cut to hold common parts.     When done, hit the part with a torch at the end and it pops off. 

Offline BJH

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 11:19:15 PM »
Greg, five minute epoxy would be a good choice for smaller parts. Large, convex parts like a patch box make bondo a better choice. BJH
BJH

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 11:19:52 PM »
I have an engraving ball setup so it is easier for me to engrave as much as I can off of the rifle. If you have a setup for engraving then you will find the job easier to engrave off of the rifle.

There is evidence that many patch boxes were engraved on the rifle. You can tell this becasue you can see where the graver nicked the wood along the edges of the box where the engraved line ended at the edge of the box. There are also boxes that you find no signs that the box was engraved on the rifle. Some of these I feel certain were engraved off of the rifle. Can I prove that 100%, NO, so please no bad JU JU comments.

I also think that some of the better engraved boxes may have been done by an engraver and not the builder. Again this is just a guess on my part.

It is your rifle and you get to decide on how you want to engrave it, It is my opinion that you would be right either way.

There are many ways to hold done your work for engraving.

Thremoloc by GRS is a good product and as others have said it is reuseable. A word of caution if you decide to get some and use it. You have heat it in a microwave to soften the material to be able to form it to hold your work. I have had it to get hot spots in the material and it can and will blister the skin if you get it on you. I used to test the material with my thumb to see if it was soft engough to form, the last time I used it I happen to place my thumb in this hot spot, the material ahears very well hot and did so to my thumb. I could not get the material off untill it cooled, by that time it blistered my thumb.

I no longer test with my thumb or any other body part! :P

I will add that the reason that goo of any kind is used not only to hold the work but to keep the metal from bouncing as you are engraving. Any bounce in the meterial you are engraving will cause you problems and make the job much harder than it needs to be. This is also true if you engrave on the rifle. If you do not have good contact with the wood in your inlet you will get metal bounce or movement of the metal you are trying to engrave.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:36:43 PM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Ric27

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 11:49:14 PM »
What a great time we live in. The community of rifle makers here is a blessing indeed!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 11:59:07 PM »
More like a hot topic. What are the main disadvantages to engraving on the gun?
Bounce and vibration. Evil stuff.   I too have a whole box of blocks for different parts I commonly engrave. Lately I have been engraving english style BP on the gun....don't remember why. :-\
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?