Author Topic: cleaning up a stock  (Read 5297 times)

Offline yip

cleaning up a stock
« on: December 12, 2015, 04:19:48 AM »
 i'm ready to stain my stock but its a little dirty from handling during the carving, is there a way to clean it before staining?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 11:19:32 PM by yip »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: cleaning up stock
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 04:26:35 AM »
Can you whet the stock with rubbing alcohol, let dry and then whisker with 4 ought steel wool?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 04:40:21 AM »

You will be amazed at what a big pink eraser will remove.

-Ron
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:42:58 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 05:17:57 AM »
Hi Yip,
Wipe the stock with Cleanwoode, which can be purchased from your local hardware store.  Wear latex or nitrile gloves when using it.  It does a great job.  This tip is from Mitch Yates who knows more about finishing wood than anybody I know.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 04:06:40 PM »
Hi Yip,
Wipe the stock with Cleanwoode, which can be purchased from your local hardware store.  Wear latex or nitrile gloves when using it.  It does a great job.  This tip is from Mitch Yates who knows more about finishing wood than anybody I know.

dave 

Dave,

The local stores around here don't list Cleanwoode on their websites.  I've checked Woodcraft, Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and True Value.  Where do you get it?  I can find it for sale on line, but the product cost and high cost of shipping it makes it really expensive.  Thanks.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 04:13:10 PM »
Hi Moleeyes,
I bought my can from my local ACE hardware store.  I am surprised you are having difficulty finding it. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 05:42:11 PM »
I use lacquer thinner for most all of my degreasing needs for both wood and metal. 
I will give the eraser idea a try.
David

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 07:07:39 PM »
Cleanwoode is available in most hardware/lumber yards and painting suppliers around these parts.Here is their website http://wilsonimperial.us/cleanwoode.html with a contact number for  supplier information.Most solvents will work but the advantage of Cleanwoode is that it is a mixture of different solvents which will dissolve most anything you get  your stock using one product.It also won't raise the grain of your wood.It has gotten a little pricey lately($20 a quart) but it does'nt take  alot!!

Mitch

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 11:35:45 PM »
I have never had any dirt that whiskering didn't remove.   You have to whisker at least three time with a scraper or sandpaper.   Do you guys actually have stains that won't remove?

Offline flehto

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 06:06:05 PM »
I agree w/ Mark....in the process of preparing the stock for staining, any off colored "stuff' on the wood just disappears. Never had a need to use anything special to "clean"  the stock....Fred
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:07:13 PM by flehto »

Offline yip

Re: cleaning up a stock
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 11:23:30 PM »
  thanks fellas, i'll whisker it off and apply aqua fortis, i hope it'll be enough

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 04:41:19 PM »
While I agree that the whiskering process takes care of most problems I have found that when using Nitate of Iron /aqua fortis(which is a water base stain) that fingerprints and even an errant bead of sweat can show up as slightly lighter spots.I've also had my shop gremlins put a drop of oil or some other substance on my stock when I was'nt looking.By using Cleanwoode before staining I've eliminated those little oops even though they were infrequent.

Mitch

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 07:28:56 PM »
White erasers worked for me fro cleaning off pencil and removing dark marks - and - they do not leave pink streaks. I think the pink one I tried was old and deteriorating - maybe.  But - it left pink in the wood. the white erasers worked very well.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 07:31:07 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Boompa

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 12:05:48 AM »
 I clean it up as I go, not allowing the wood to get very smudged or stained. Can't stand a messy looking stock, >:(, I use fine sandpaper or sometimes an eraser.