Author Topic: if you were building a small collection of guns from each period of america  (Read 8249 times)

edwardc

i am wanting to build a small collection of representative type guns  from the following  periods  or conflicts

revolutionary war   brown Bess  or tower   of course  for  the British  side
but  what  would a good rifle  be for the colonists  period correct. or was it common for the colonists  to use british guns   

war  of 1812    both sides  of course

civil war   i already have  a harpers ferry  1842 date   for the north ?  but may be too early for actual civil war use

but what  would be a good gun for the south or  is there  one gun

pre cartridge  period 

any opinions  appreciated 

Offline jdm

• member 2
 For the American side, in the Rev War, I think  a New England fowler would by a good pick. That is probably what a farmer, standing on the  green at Concord would own.
JIM

Offline debnal

For the Rev War an American made rifle, a Committee of Safety musket and a fowler would be a fantastic grouping. But the rifle and COS musket would be price prohibitive, so I agree an early fowler would be good.
Al

Offline debnal

I almost forgot, an American COS "type" musket might be the best overall choice. They are out there and normally quite reasonable but- you have to make sure it's a Rev war period gun and not a later militia musket.
Al

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
You could kill two birds with one gun. Buy your self a Virginia Militia Rifle, a lot  of them were used in the War of 1812 & the Civil War...Of course the ones used in the Civil War have been converted to percussion..

edwardc

nothing specific  comes up when i search for Virginia militia rifle  is there a style  or type ??

Offline vtbuck223

Rev. War....the counterpoint to the Bess would be the Charleville musket...and it became the basic pattern for American muskets for years to come. Not American made....but American used...and iconic....when you see a classical painting of continental troops...they are usually carrying a Charleville.

edwardc

wow !!  those are some pricey guns  i think its going  to be a while before i get one of those  in my little collection

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
wow !!  those are some pricey guns  i think its going  to be a while before i get one of those  in my little collection

Yep, money is a big issue with the collection you have in mind. You'd be better off starting at about the civil war, even that will be expensive if you bring it to modern day.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

edwardc

well i like  to think i have a pretty  good start  on the more modern guns 

as far as civil war and before  i do have a couple  of nice ones 
a 1842 harpers ferry  and an 1844 springfield  both pretty  god  cond 

with  the springfield  i saved it from a fate worse then death  some local idiot was going to drill up  the stock from the butt plate  to  the barrel and through  the breech plug and turn it into a floor lamp

i could not believe  it !! 

but  i always have  to remember some folks just don't care  about old guns  like i and i suspect  most on here  do

but at this point  i still need a certified civil war  period gun 
the top 2  will take care  of the Mexican American war period 

Offline MGillman

edwardc -the Virginia militia rifle is more commonly called the Virginia Manufactory Rifle. The Virginia Manufactory made muskets, pistols and swords and were used in the war of 1812 and converted to confederate service. Then the Richmond 1862 rifle was being mad in Virginia

edwardc

you  folks  have all given me  some great info  on what to look for  and  what  to avoid 

guess when  i move my wife  and i  to tenn i will have  some serious looking  to do

out here  in the south west  i have Never run across  anything even close 

its mostly cart guns   etc 

i lucked out  on the rifles i posted about above  at a garage  sale
something that almost never happens