Author Topic: Rifles of Colonial America?  (Read 10560 times)

silly goose

Rifles of Colonial America?
« on: December 13, 2015, 02:34:22 AM »
Momma has been fishing for Christmas ideas, and I thought maybe Santa could bring me a book or two to help me learn more about longrifles.  I built one rifle from a kit, and it did not come out like the rifles that are frequently shown on this forum, but it does shoot well.  Is the "Rifles of Colonial America" more of a builders reference, or a historical perspective of these arms?  I would like to learn more of the history, the areas and the stories of the rifles and their builders.  I'm too old and don't have enough time to think I'm going to be a gun builder.   Do these books have what I'm looking for?  Any other ideas?  Thank you. 

JCurtiss

Re: Rifles of Colonial America?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 02:44:43 AM »
I don't know about Rifles of Colonial America but the title suggests it would contain history and information about the builders.  I have a book titled The Kentucky Rifle by Dillin, which has history and various interesting period-stories.  One story was about a shooting contest whereby the long rifle boys were the top prize winners, much to the chagrin of everyone else.

Hope this helps. 

ddoyle

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 03:05:29 AM »
Go Browse the book section on the Track of the Wolf web site might give you some ideas.  The book review sub forum on here might also help.

Browsing here or on the Contemporary makers blog can really help to focus interest.

The breadth of the 'topic' is pretty huge. Try and foucs a bit i.e era/location/style.

Big expensive quality works with exc photography are worth every penny IMHO.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 03:27:56 AM »
Good book and you can learn a lot when you study the guns shown. Do you want a how to type book or something like a picture book to study original guns?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 04:02:59 AM »
RCA is reference on specific orginal guns.   It is the builders "bible".   All builders should have a set.   If you need lots of photos and specs on a particular colonial or early golden age rifle, RCA is the best place to go.   It doesn't tell you much about the builders or how to build.  It is all about the rifles.   While it is all in Black and White, RCA still has some of the best gun photos around.     If you want a "how to" reference,  get Peter Alexander's Gunsmith of Grenville County.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 04:05:42 AM »
Hi SG,

Rifles of Colonial America is actually a 2 volume set.  You will want both.  Volume 1 begins with some European guns and discusses their influence on the American longrifle.  The various regional "schools" are covered in Vol. 1 and continue in Vol. 2.  There is informational text throughout both volumes, but the books are more pictures than text.  The pictures are black and white.  Measurements are included for each gun illustrated.

Here's a link to a previous discussion on RCA....  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=37761.0

You may also want to consider another book "The Intimate Look at The American Longrifle, It's Art and Evolution" by David Hanson.  It doesn't show as many guns as RCA, but most of the major schools are covered with sharp, detailed, color photos of an example rifle of each school.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 04:08:03 AM »
.....   If you want a "how to" reference,  get Peter Alexander's Gunsmith of Grenville County.

Or "Recreating the American Longrifle" by William Buchele, G. Shumway, and P. Alexander.  Everyone has their favorite, this one is mine.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

JCurtiss

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 04:41:30 AM »
Another good book for historical reference is Longrifle Articles published in Muzzle Blasts by George Shumway.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 05:32:23 AM »
RCA 1 and 2 are well worn reference books in my shop.  Not only for the photographs, but for the list of measurements given for each of the guns. When I compared my work to the measurements given for one rifle I was loosely recreating, it became very clear to me that my work to date had been " too fat"  ???   The info in these books is worth every penny.

silly goose

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 05:38:04 AM »
I have the gunsmith of Greenville county, and RAL. Just to reiterate, I'm not looking to build any more rifles, I am just looking to learn more about them in general. I think I've learned that I'm better off buying my rifles assembled, than butchering up expensive parts.

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 03:48:14 PM »
Although I have almost everybook published on long rifles, Kindig is still my favorite.  Maybe because it was my first. Of course I may be the only one that has three first editions and a Deluxe first edition

JCurtiss

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 05:28:44 PM »
Although I have almost everybook published on long rifles, Kindig is still my favorite.  Maybe because it was my first. Of course I may be the only one that has three first editions and a Deluxe first edition

Don, I assume you are referring to Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age by Joe Kindig Jr?

Or did Kindig publish other books?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 05:48:43 PM »
RCA 1 & 2 is a good start. I wouldn't bother with Dillin's book, It was written 90 years ago before much research was done.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 06:31:22 PM »
Take a close look at offerings from the Kentucky Rifle Foundation.
My favorites are "Moravian Gunmaking" and "Masterpieces of the American Longrifle". They have high level color photography that show much more detail than any B&W halftone can reproduce.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:38:46 PM by Pete G. »

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 07:34:13 PM »
For an all around book good history an good black and white pictures I'd go with Kindig.   
Thoughts On The Kentucky Rifle In It's Golden Age.
It's the starting bible for those interested.
JIM

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 07:46:24 PM »

Don, I assume you are referring to Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age by Joe Kindig Jr?

Or did Kindig publish other books?
You assume correctly
 To me Dillin,Kauffman and Kindig is all the name those three books need.  Guess I have just been at this stuff too long

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 08:29:45 PM »
My Kindig book was a Xmas present in 1983. It's the 2nd edition,262 rifles with notes on each, that will
keep you off the streets for a few days.

JCurtiss

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2015, 09:07:37 PM »
Lot's of good suggestions there goose.

Since you enjoy the historical aspects of the American Long Rifle, perhaps you would enjoy reading about the evolution of the firearm, starting with Roger Bacon and the invention of gun powder. You could probably find some books along these lines on Abe Books.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2015, 09:53:35 PM »
Silly Goose, you say you want a book to learn more about long rifles but that spans a century or more and a lot of territory.  Kindig's Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age has a lot of info on Pennsylvania long rifles mostly 1770 to 1800. RCA has some more variety in volume 2 and covers some earlier rifles.  But if you are interested in rifles from other areas and eras there is no one book to cover everything.
Andover, Vermont

silly goose

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 11:07:53 PM »
Thank you all for your thoughts. 

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2015, 11:24:04 PM »
One ends up with a lot of books..... :D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline davebozell

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2015, 11:35:33 PM »
You don't have to remind me....My wife does that enough already! :'(

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 12:46:56 AM »
Take a close look at offerings from the Kentucky Rifle Foundation.
My favorites are "Moravian Gunmaking" and "Masterpieces of the American Longrifle". They have high level color photography that show much more detail than any B&W halftone can reproduce.

I would like to second those books.   I really love the Moravian book, mainly because I love the rifles.    The carving tends to be so rich and well executed with a good bit of wire inlay thrown in for good measure.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 01:53:48 AM »
Sadly, to me since the publication of "Steinschloss-Fagerbuchsen" came out 8 or 9 years ago, our current active ALR membership have taken little interest in the work of the old Germanic gunsmiths. This is a must have book along with the English translation, if you desire to learn all you can regarding where the American longrifle originated.    As for my other favored books on this subject, Kindig's book is top's because he goes into as much detail on the known information about the individual gunsmiths, along with pictures from his vast collection.  Most of these rifles are true works of art and unfortunately out of reach for the man of average means to put their hands on.  There is one more book that I think should be in everyone of our groups library. That is Ned Robert's "Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle".  His views on our favorite subject are truly ageless! Pictures not the best, but the reading will entertain you for many long winter nights.    

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 03:42:29 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Joel Hall

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 03:41:35 PM »
Sadly, to me since the publication of "Steinschloss-Fagerbuchsen" came out 8 or 9 years ago, our current active ALR membership have taken little interest in the work of the old Germanic gunsmiths. This is a must have book along with the English translation, if you desire to learn all you can regarding where the American longrifle originated.    As for my other favored books on this subject, Kindig's book is top's because he goes into as much detail on the known information about the individual gunsmiths, along with pictures from his vast collection.  Most of these rifles are true works of art and unfortunately out of reach for the man of average means to put their hands on.  There is one more book that I think should be in everyone of our groups library. That is Ned Robert's "Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle".  His views on our favorite subject are truly ageless! Pictures not the best, but the reading will entertain you for many long winter nights.  

That's a great book. Unfortunately the level of my skill wouldn't do any of those guns justice. Jerry H needs to start at the front of that book and make all of them.... ;D

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 03:41:52 AM by Ky-Flinter »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?