Author Topic: J Dickert on Gunbroker  (Read 38044 times)

Offline gibster

J Dickert on Gunbroker
« on: December 14, 2015, 10:06:35 PM »
I have no ties to this auction but thought that some of you may want to take a look at this rifle.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=529903273

Offline Molly

Re: J Dickert on Gunbroker
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 10:16:06 PM »
Put it on your watch list at GB.  Bet it won't get a bid.

Offline debnal

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 10:42:16 PM »
Does anyone know what "excellent restoration throughout" actually means?
Al

Offline Frank

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 12:33:07 AM »
That touch hole is really high, but I am sure it worked just fine. I think Jacob knew what he was doing.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 12:35:53 AM »
Starting bid is $15000.00. If I was to spend that much. I would put it towards a contemporary rifle. By anyone of the fine builders here.

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 12:55:50 AM »
Is that the same Dickert sold at RockIsland a week ago? I heard there was one there but never saw it

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 01:55:15 AM »
Does anyone know what "excellent restoration throughout" actually means?
Al

Looks like it was converted to percussion then back to flint and the barrel around the vet is in a lot better shape than i would think given other iron parts.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

The Rambling Historian

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 02:01:23 AM »
Is that the same Dickert sold at RockIsland a week ago? I heard there was one there but never saw it

No, the Dickert at Rock Island had a rattlesnake patch box design.

realtorone

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 03:17:46 AM »
Looks like it's been "Rode hard and put away wet" or just been abused,

realtorone

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 03:25:22 AM »
At +250 the area between the J and the D on the signature doesn't look right ether.Almost looks like there was a weld or filling there. Look at the smooth area with the cavities"holes".Just does not look right.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 04:01:56 AM »
Sour grapes, I suppose, as I can't begin to afford it

But does anyone else ever weary of half-a-- rusted reconversions, destroying the rifle's history to make it look "prettier" ??

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 04:55:47 AM »
Like Blanche DuBois from ''Streetcar Named Desire'' this one has seen better days and even seen some abuse but there is still some beauty in the lines.

I guess I am of the opinion that I would prefer to see these left as last used during their period of use.
If shortened or converted to percussion I have sufficient imagination to envision how they looked when young .

Gets me into all sorts of trouble ,it surely does.

kaintuck

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 06:27:58 PM »
AAHHhhh......the wrist is way to thick, the lock isn't a close fit, and doesn't match the period, the forearm needs thinning, the carvings are not crisp enough, and wrong for that age, the sights are to small, and that TG is not correctly attached...........all in all a  good start, but we hope to see better from this builder in the future....... :D

oooppppss..............I forgot, I was just commenting w/o thinking!!!!!!!!

ahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....................

marc n tomtom

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 07:20:52 PM »
I like it issues and all.  I can overlook it's flaws, like Mrs. Watt does with me.....to a point. 
I wonder if he would take a dollar down, dollar a day forever.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Molly

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 02:32:18 AM »
I have taken another slower closer look.  Don't get offended if you like it but it looks like a disaster to me.  And for $15,000.  The man in Winchester, VA offers what appear to be much better quality works and for what appear to be fair prices.  IMHHHO, all one is getting here is the name on the barrel and someone seemed to even question that.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 05:42:20 AM »
I didn't say a word about the price. If you can't appreciate it for what it is then you don't really appreciate the American Long rifle
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 06:21:49 AM »
Jackson Armory, the seller on gunbroker, has another longrifle on their website:

http://www.jacksonarmory.com/JA/riflesDetail.php?id=13222

The lock looks brand new while the rest of the gun is about what you would expect from an example of the old guns with the patina completely removed and the steel and brass obviously shined up, as is the stock. They do say the rifle was "reconverted.." Asking $7,950.

dave

Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Molly

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 03:21:16 PM »
I didn't say a word about the price. If you can't appreciate it for what it is then you don't really appreciate the American Long rifle

A very subjective view and in my opinion completely inaccurate.  My appreciation of a that rifle is for what it WAS.  It may have feed the family, protected them and even participate in great historical events.  It WAS a grand longrifle.  LAck of care, abuse and neglect change the character from appreciation to sadness.  It's like looking at a dead man.  He is dead.  Appreciate him for what he was or what he did.  Don't appreciate him for being dead.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 04:13:14 PM »
Yes just appreciate him for what he is.  He is not dead.  He is still here and he will still be here when we are gone.  He is still here and he will still be here when we are gone.  Would you prefer that what's left of him become a tomato stake?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:25:59 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline gibster

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 06:16:55 PM »
I have to agree with Shreckmeister on this.  To me, the rifle shows that it had lived a long and probably a hard life.  Are there flaws? Yes. Could I live with them if I owned this rifle? Yes. If not, there are some out there that could correct the flaws to the point that myself, and probably most collectors would be satisfied.  I have seen rifles that have had the locks replaced, the forearms replaced, inlays replaced, and the list could go on.  And collectors look at them and say, "what a great rifle".  I don't make any claims as to being anything more than an admirer of the Long rifle. I do have the privilege of being the caretaker of a few and when I'm gone, someone else can have the privilege. The rifles I have are not perfect, as this one is not perfect.  But each one of them represent our past and deserve to be treated with care. Is this one worth the $15k they are asking, don't know. For me it's irrelevant because even if it is, I couldn't afford it. But to me, to say that looking at this rifle is like looking at a dead man shows a lack of appreciation for what this rifle was, is, and could still be.  Maybe some of the comments here are one of the reasons that newcomers to collecting are hesitant to show what they have. As a collecting community, some seem to be quick to point out the flaws of someone else's rifles. So why would/should a new collector subject themselves to it.  It's like blood in the water to sharks. The slightest hint and it's game on.  Is it that hard to look past the years of use, neglect, and maybe even abuse to see a rifle for what it is?

Offline lexington1

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 06:55:03 PM »
I totally agree with this!

I have to agree with Shreckmeister on this.  To me, the rifle shows that it had lived a long and probably a hard life.  Are there flaws? Yes. Could I live with them if I owned this rifle? Yes. If not, there are some out there that could correct the flaws to the point that myself, and probably most collectors would be satisfied.  I have seen rifles that have had the locks replaced, the forearms replaced, inlays replaced, and the list could go on.  And collectors look at them and say, "what a great rifle".  I don't make any claims as to being anything more than an admirer of the Long rifle. I do have the privilege of being the caretaker of a few and when I'm gone, someone else can have the privilege. The rifles I have are not perfect, as this one is not perfect.  But each one of them represent our past and deserve to be treated with care. Is this one worth the $15k they are asking, don't know. For me it's irrelevant because even if it is, I couldn't afford it. But to me, to say that looking at this rifle is like looking at a dead man shows a lack of appreciation for what this rifle was, is, and could still be.  Maybe some of the comments here are one of the reasons that newcomers to collecting are hesitant to show what they have. As a collecting community, some seem to be quick to point out the flaws of someone else's rifles. So why would/should a new collector subject themselves to it.  It's like blood in the water to sharks. The slightest hint and it's game on.  Is it that hard to look past the years of use, neglect, and maybe even abuse to see a rifle for what it is?

Offline Molly

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 06:58:45 PM »
If you can't appreciate it for what it is then you don't really appreciate the American Long rifle

I object to anyone telling me what I do or do not "appreciate".  Use YOUR values to make YOUR conclusions but don't apply your standards to me and suggest what I do or do not appreciate.  It's like looking at Andy Warhol's soup can and being blasted for not seeing it as a beloved object or valuable art.

I appreciate "IT" for what "IT" is alright but there seems to be more than a hint that one possess the exclusive and 100% correct assessment (and I'm not talking about value).

Offline louieparker

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 07:21:25 PM »
There was a time when I would have spent sleepless nights trying to figure out how I could own this rifle.  After all its a "Dickert". Most of the Dickert rifles saw hard use. Many were bored smooth, restocked, recycled and so on. I may have seen more Dickerts restocked than with orginial stocks, in any condition.  So like Gibster I am glad its still around.  I can't tell from the photos everything that has been done, but the name on the barrel has been questioned. I see nothing wrong there except the oval touch mark with the arrow and tomahawk is mostly worn away. I have seen this on more than one. As to what its worth, whatever the buyer is willing to pay. I would bet most of us would buy it at some price? Its a Dickert !!

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 07:26:33 PM »
I have taken another slower closer look.  Don't get offended if you like it but it looks like a disaster to me.  And for $15,000.  The man in Winchester, VA offers what appear to be much better quality works and for what appear to be fair prices.  IMHHHO, all one is getting here is the name on the barrel and someone seemed to even question that.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 07:29:25 PM »
There was a time when I would have spent sleepless nights trying to figure out how I could own this rifle.  After all its a "Dickert". Most of the Dickert rifles saw hard use. Many were bored smooth, restocked, recycled and so on. I may have seen more Dickerts restocked than with orginial stocks, in any condition.  So like Gibster I am glad its still around.  I can't tell from the photos everything that has been done, but the name on the barrel has been questioned. I see nothing wrong there except the oval touch mark with the arrow and tomahawk is mostly worn away. I have seen this on more than one. As to what its worth, whatever the buyer is willing to pay. I would bet most of us would buy it at some price? Its a Dickert !!

Yes sir.....I'm with you 100%.  If I had it, I would prize it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:31:46 PM by Shreckmeister »